Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RocklandFires

Spring Valley Working Apartment Fire 03/12/10

25 posts in this topic

I agree, the video is good to watch too. Nice job SVFD.

Edited by FiftyOnePride
efdcapt115 likes this

Looks like good fast work by the SVFD!!!!!

It certainly was. A real good aggressive interior attack. It was the Valley's 2nd well involved structure fire in less then 12 hours. Hard to switch between photo & video. Need another set of arms. Hope the next video is a little bit longer. Thanks to Signal-12.com for the audio !

Is that Tim Wren in Picture 100 from R-3 ?

Yes, his father is the Deputy Coordinator for Rockland 44-1

Yes. He's an ex-Chief of Hillcrest.

Yes, his father is the Deputy Coordinator for Rockland 44-1

Gordie is Tim's brother, not father. Also, 44-1 is the Fire Coordinator, the Deputies start at 44-2.

Yes. He's an ex-Chief of Hillcrest.

Gordie is Tim's brother, not father. Also, 44-1 is the Fire Coordinator, the Deputies start at 44-2.

That's what I meant. Gordon's daughter is a firefighter as well. Long line of volunteers in the Wren family !

Brian, amazing pictures as always, thank you for sharing. I love the action shots that catch the working faces and expressions.

Looks like a good job by all. What kind of rig is the spring valley tower.

Looks like a good job by all. What kind of rig is the spring valley tower.

Chris,

Its a Metz (i believe built in Germany) aerial on a Spartan (?) chassis. I know in speaking to some of their guys, they're not that happy with it. But that was a couple of years ago. Its an interesting rig for sure.

Chris,

Its a Metz (i believe built in Germany) aerial on a Spartan (?) chassis. I know in speaking to some of their guys, they're not that happy with it. But that was a couple of years ago. Its an interesting rig for sure.

Metz aerials have not been popular in the US because they don't fit the "persona" of a typical truck based on the way apparatus has historically been designed in the US. I'm not sure that I would jump at buying one if the decision was left to me. HOWEVER I suspect that if there are performance issues with these units it is because the US based manufacturer who mounted the unit on an American chassis was not as familiar with the unit as many overseas manufacturers are. Metz aerials are phenomenal pieces of equipment and have capacities that far exceed those of bulkier US built ladders. They have a great safety record and the ability to be used as a defacto crane when necessary to effect rescues (like the ability to remove the bucket from the stick and lift a car). On the other hand, their large turntable make ladder storage and high side compartments difficult to fit on the apparatus. I find it hard to believe that most of the Metz apparatus in the US actually fits the requirements to be called a "truck" insofar as ground ladders and equipment go.

Chris,

The bucket looks to be the size of a shopping cart, with two guys and a saw in it, there is no room for a rescue to be made. Im told it is really strong by a local fire buff but it looks very odd ?

Additional photos of the Metz:

http://www.brianduddy.com/g/spring_valley&gallery_page=&gallery_all=&view=1&photo_page=3

Ironically, Spring Valley had yet another fire early this morning, their 3rd in 4 days at the Surrey Carlton Apartments at 51 Ewing Ave. The call came in as an automatic alarm, just like the apartment fire. A few cell phone pics from the scene sent to me by a friend.

SV031510A.jpg

SV031510B.jpg

Edited by RocklandFires

Metz aerials have not been popular in the US because they don't fit the "persona" of a typical truck based on the way apparatus has historically been designed in the US. I'm not sure that I would jump at buying one if the decision was left to me. HOWEVER I suspect that if there are performance issues with these units it is because the US based manufacturer who mounted the unit on an American chassis was not as familiar with the unit as many overseas manufacturers are. Metz aerials are phenomenal pieces of equipment and have capacities that far exceed those of bulkier US built ladders. They have a great safety record and the ability to be used as a defacto crane when necessary to effect rescues (like the ability to remove the bucket from the stick and lift a car). On the other hand, their large turntable make ladder storage and high side compartments difficult to fit on the apparatus. I find it hard to believe that most of the Metz apparatus in the US actually fits the requirements to be called a "truck" insofar as ground ladders and equipment go.

I'm personally not a big fan of Metz aerials for most places, but from what I know of Spring Valley, it's as close to a perfect fit as any in a non-rural setting. The Metz excels at maneuverability due to it's size and weight. Couple this with an ALF MM tower down the street just a few blocks, some sort of aerial a few more blocks from that and at least another MM Peirce tower on the other end of town, and you have a truck that can get a position where the other can't. Nice to have that ability even if the actual functionality is somewhat limited.

res6cue likes this

I'm personally not a big fan of Metz aerials for most places, but from what I know of Spring Valley, it's as close to a perfect fit as any in a non-rural setting. The Metz excels at maneuverability due to it's size and weight. Couple this with an ALF MM tower down the street just a few blocks, some sort of aerial a few more blocks from that and at least another MM Peirce tower on the other end of town, and you have a truck that can get a position where the other can't. Nice to have that ability even if the actual functionality is somewhat limited.

Im not a big fan of the METS either...

Good post, well said.

First of all as for the tech specs on the rig, 17-Tower is a 2002 Spartan Gladiator chassis, a General body and a Metz L32 102' aerial (now marketed as the Rosenbauer Raptor). It has a 1250 GPM pump and a 200 gallon tank. It's run by the Spring Valley H&L, one of three companies comprising the Spring Valley FD. The other aerial in the dept is 17-Quint, a 2007 ALF/LTI 100' midmount tower ladder with a 2000 GPM pump and 300 gallon tank, which is run by Rockland H&L.

The Metz replaced an extremely compact 1981 ALF Water Chief 75' rearmount stick, which was smaller than most pumpers on the road today. Cramped space in the firehouse was a big issue for them with the replacement. The Metz fit that bill nicely. Not too many 100' aerials out there mounted on such a short, single axle chassis. The outrigger spread is also pretty paltry, which helps in tight areas of the village. As far as the "shopping cart" bucket, yes it's extremely tight. Truth is, this truck is not designed to be a true tower ladder, that bucket (which is removable) is supposed to be for rescue use only. The Metz doesn't meet NFPA standards as an aerial platform, only as an aerial ladder. However, the mindset of most fire depts is that "if it has a bucket, it's a tower ladder!", and so they leave it on all the time and operate out of it as if it were a proper tower ladder. That's their call, if it works for them, so be it.

As far as its viability at fires, I've seen it in action firsthand on numerous occasions, and it gets the job done. Just like any other rig, it has its pros and cons. If for whatever reason it can't be used in a given situation, the dept has the option of using the aforementioned 100' ALF midmount tower ladder. If that doesn't work, they can call Hillcrest for their 75' rearmount stick, or South Spring Valley for their 75' rearmount stick. If they need another tower ladder, no shortage of them either. Hillcrest for their 95' midmount tower ladder, Monsey for their 95' midmount tower ladder, Nanuet for their 75' rearmount tower ladder, Tallman for their 100' rearmount tower ladder, etc etc etc. Need a TDA? Nyack will be more than happy to take a ride up the Thruway with one of their two 100' TDA's, just give them a call, it certainly wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

I checked out the spring valley web site it is really a unique rig with the single axle in the rear, it kind of looks like a lull attached to a firetruck . The bucket folds over itself for storage on the roof. But you just said the bucket is removable also, this thing just keeps getting better Iv'e never seen one anywhere. Are there controls at the bucket and can it flow water with the bucket on?

I checked out the spring valley web site it is really a unique rig with the single axle in the rear, it kind of looks like a lull attached to a firetruck . The bucket folds over itself for storage on the roof. But you just said the bucket is removable also, this thing just keeps getting better Iv'e never seen one anywhere. Are there controls at the bucket and can it flow water with the bucket on?

Here's where the Metz tends to miss the mark from an american firefighting standpoint. The waterway runs up he inside of the already narrow ladder, the bucket doesn't have a gun such that we are used to on most towers, I think it attaches below the bucket through the rungs? So you do not have the same control as you would from the bucket. The bucket is exactly like a shopping cart, very small and getting one victim in with two firefighters in the bucket would be about max. So you take the bucket off to perform "continuous rescue" down the stick, but the side rails are short and the ladder is narrow and anyone not used to climbing an aerial might take exception to this. It is fast to set up and the aerial can be on the ground and back up like no other aerial device I've seen.

Here's a couple of pics from the 2008 NE Fire Chief's Show

post-2764-12687821064.jpg

post-2764-126878212285.jpg

post-2764-126878213916.jpg

Here's where the Metz tends to miss the mark from an american firefighting standpoint. The waterway runs up he inside of the already narrow ladder, the bucket doesn't have a gun such that we are used to on most towers, I think it attaches below the bucket through the rungs? So you do not have the same control as you would from the bucket. The bucket is exactly like a shopping cart, very small and getting one victim in with two firefighters in the bucket would be about max. So you take the bucket off to perform "continuous rescue" down the stick, but the side rails are short and the ladder is narrow and anyone not used to climbing an aerial might take exception to this. It is fast to set up and the aerial can be on the ground and back up like no other aerial device I've seen.

Here's a couple of pics from the 2008 NE Fire Chief's Show

Thanks, that is a good view of how narrow and short the side rails are, or maybee how much of an engine guy I really am. That last pic with the rig on the angle looks odd. I still like the yankees better....

Thanks, that is a good view of how narrow and short the side rails are, or maybee how much of an engine guy I really am. That last pic with the rig on the angle looks odd. I still like the yankees better....

Yankees?!? :blink: The last picture I believe is Metz showing off how their turntable leveling system works.

Go Sox! :D

Yankees?!? blink.gif The last picture I believe is Metz showing off how their turntable leveling system works.

Go Sox! biggrin.gif

Yes it was. Metz - Mets . sorry just a little spring training fever I guess. And it didn't even look level so its broke..