Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cutty630

Cheifs Cars

40 posts in this topic

If the weather is THAT bad, everyone should be staged at the firehouse anyway and the chiefs can use the one car.

While I agree that everyone should be stage at the firehouse durning hazardous weather, it is unlikely that all the chiefs will use only one vehicle.

With departments that have more than one station, it is not uncommon for the chiefs to be standing by at different stations. Additionally, if a minor alarm comes in, you don't need a chief and two assistants to commit. One assistant chief is usually all that is needed to respond and the others should remain avalible.

One incident that sticks out in my mind that anything less than an SUV would have been usless is Hurricane Floyd in 1999. Durning that storm the three chiefs suv's were worth their weight in gold.

Rye went from expeditions to Tahoes. Rye will soon have 3 Tahoes with command Post in rear and all. 2421 has FDNY paint scheme which was done by the past chief in 2001. the new cars will not have that I believe.

It all depends on what your departments needs are. Brewster has tahoes, three of them and they work well for the area. They are all equiped with a pull out command center, however the only thing that is a pain in the a** is having barn doors, they don't keep you dry on those bad nights when your stuck commanding a scene. Some advice to all is get a single rear hatch to keep you dry.

OK if your name is scuba who cares about water?

in peekskill our chiefs got 3 new 2005 ford expeditions and they match all of our rigs and we take pride in how our chiefs cars look we arent trying to show off. not any thing close, we take care, pride and honor in haveing our chiefs cars look nice and professsional.

The "command posts" built into the back is not all that great. In fact, I think Istayed there for a whole 5 minutes in my career.

I prefer to take a vantage point where I can observe the most and be as close as possible without impeding ops, or running around like an idiot.

But if you prefer them, ditto on the upswinging hatch - 86 the barn doors if you want to stay dry and look good in the paper

http://www.emtbravo.com/Spec2/EFW.html

Towards the bottom is a pic of our "new" district chiefs car, I believe it is a 2004, White Chevy Suburban, all decked out with hide-away strobes in blinkers, reverse, brake, headlight, and front blinkers, and a @$$-load of LEDs. Combo LED/strobe lightbar, TIR6 ultra-intense slimlighter on dash, some Code 3 LEDs in rear window, Whelen TIR3 units mounted alllll around the car, rear bumper, running boards, grille. This is one sick puppy. I believe the total cost of the lighting package was somewhere in the range of $12K-$15K. I am talking Close Encounters of the Third Kind, spaceship flying by you.

Good pictures and a nice looking fleet!!! However, here is the negetivity that I can't hold back: A lighting package that cost over 10 grand!!! I spent 4 years in a dept in upstate N.Y. where the chiefs got 1,000 bucks to put lights on their personal cars and THATS IT. Nothing else. This was a busy dept in a heavy commerical and industrial area and the lack of rediculous cars let along lighting had no impact at all on the performance of the department.

Well said lfdR1....I said it before ill say it agian all ya need is a recycled police car with a red stripe a dept patch on the door.Another point ya cant put out a fire with a chiefs car.

Oh, no doubt that is is above and beyond what is needed. It definitely can go beyond reasonable, I'm just saying it looks pretty sick. I will admit too, East Fishkill is a somewhat busy department, the second busiest in Dutchess County (I believe only the Arlington Pk. FD has more than us). Covering parts of I-84 and the TSP as well. Warning and visibility are important on high-speed roadways such as those. Thankfully, we have a lot of funding and tax-base to where we can afford new apparatus to phase out our old fleet, as well as state-of-the-art equpiment, vehicles (chiefs and whatnot), yes, even some stuff that we do not need. I dont want to sounds as though I am bragging (although in a demented sorta way i am) I am just proud to be as lucky as I am to be in a department such as the one I am!