Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Stolen NJ EMS Flycar Results In Civilan Fatality

13 posts in this topic

STOLEN EMS TRUCK RESULTS IN A CIVILIAN FATALITY

A paramedic vehicle was stolen from a Gloucester County (NJ) firehouse this morning and later crashed into a car, killing a person in the car. The white 2000 Dodge Durango paramedic truck was stolen from the Franklinville Fire Company in Franklin Township around 0830.

More than an hour later, the SUV crashed into a car in Vineland, N.J. A person in the car died from the collision. The driver of the stolen paramedic vehicle is in police custody. It is unknown whether or not the vehicle was running or had the keys inside of it at the time of the theft, but we'll followup.

Take Care-BE CAREFUL.

BillyG

The Secret List 3-30-10 / 1343 Hours

www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com

Whether the keys were in it shouldn't matter. The fact an EMS vehicle was stolen should be considered an aggravating factor in any criminal charges that are filed, and the defense attorney shouldn't be allowed to use the fact keys were in the vehicle to help his client escape any part of the penalty.

Should be murder for the death, also attempted murder, the contents of the fly car could be used to save a life, also the drugs within the car. And then add the rest of the charges, (chris192) would know. Im thinking life in prison.

Edited by chris

The fact that the keys were/were not in it has nothing to do with a criminal defense, rather, it would show a complacency/carelessness on the part of the EVO who left the vehicle unattended. If anything, the FD would be a party in a civil suit, but nothing to use in defense of the criminal charge.

And if you think this case will bring a sentence of life in prison, I suspect you'll be unpleasantly surprised when the case is concluded. We have defendants convicted of intentional murders, or multiple homicides who don't face life in prison. It's unfortunate sometimes.

More info.....

A Bridgeton man faces murder charges after allegedly stealing a paramedic vehicle and crashing into another vehicle, killing the driver, while trying to elude police.

Michael A. Jones, 46, allegedly stole the sport utility vehicle from a remote paramedic station for Underwood-Memorial Hospital in Franklin Township at about 8:20 a.m. Tuesday and fled southward into Vineland, where city police picked up the chase around Delsea Drive and Chestnut Avenue.

Police followed as Jones fled east on Chestnut Avenue, Vineland police Lt. Tom Ulrich said. A police supervisor called off the pursuit due to heavy traffic near Memorial School at about 9 a.m.

MODERATOR NOTE: No citation for news article. Redacted to comply with copyright restrictions.

Should be murder for the death, also attempted murder, the contents of the fly car could be used to save a life, also the drugs within the car. And then add the rest of the charges, (chris192) would know. Im thinking life in prison.

Well, NJ statutes are different from NY but he has already been charged with murder.

I'm sure that a laundry list of other charges is forthcoming including (but not limited to), grand larceny, criminal possession of stolen property, criminal mischief, reckless endangerment, felony evading, etc., etc., etc.

As for any charges based upon the fact that the vehicle was an EMS fly-car "that could be used to save a life", I don't think there are any such charges - at least in NYS. They might be able to sustain criminal possession of controlled substances for the drugs on board but that's quite a stretch.

And I have to agree with INIT, it is doubtful that this guy will do life or anything close.

Just an FYI to an unfortunate situation, wherever the blame may ultimately fall........Vehicle Anti Theft Systems are readily available for just this type of sad circumstance. More and more emergency service vehicles (police, fire and EMS) are being targeted for theft, with sadly unfortunate results. We've done these anti theft systems in vehicles for several of the emergency services with the expectation of preventing this type of situation. Simple to install and effective, they also help meet Homeland Security recommendations. They may save another life someday.

Well, NJ statutes are different from NY but he has already been charged with murder.

I'm sure that a laundry list of other charges is forthcoming including (but not limited to), grand larceny, criminal possession of stolen property, criminal mischief, reckless endangerment, felony evading, etc., etc., etc.

As for any charges based upon the fact that the vehicle was an EMS fly-car "that could be used to save a life", I don't think there are any such charges - at least in NYS. They might be able to sustain criminal possession of controlled substances for the drugs on board but that's quite a stretch.

And I have to agree with INIT, it is doubtful that this guy will do life or anything close.

In NJ, the grand larceny charge would be a theft charge, and the felony evading would be an eluding charge. As far as the criminal mischief charge, I doubt it would be charged, but its a pretty good idea, and I can't think of any criminal reckless endangerment charges in NJ.

Just an FYI to an unfortunate situation, wherever the blame may ultimately fall........Vehicle Anti Theft Systems are readily available for just this type of sad circumstance. More and more emergency service vehicles (police, fire and EMS) are being targeted for theft, with sadly unfortunate results. We've done these anti theft systems in vehicles for several of the emergency services with the expectation of preventing this type of situation. Simple to install and effective, they also help meet Homeland Security recommendations. They may save another life someday.

What kind of systems? NJSP has tremco (SP?) switches in their cars. My PD also had them installed after an officer in my county was run over with a stolen police car, but the switches have since been removed. Are there other options besides the Tremco switches?

And sadly reports are that the keys were left in the vehicle making this a completely avoidable incident.

NFPA 1901 requires that "fire" apparatus shall have keyless ignitions or if keyed (commercial vehicles) the keys shall be attached to the vehicle so it can not be "misplaced" in an emergency.

Vehicle Anti Theft Systems are readily available for just this type of sad circumstance. More and more emergency service vehicles (police, fire and EMS) are being targeted for theft, with sadly unfortunate results. We've done these anti theft systems in vehicles for several of the emergency services with the expectation of preventing this type of situation. Simple to install and effective, they also help meet Homeland Security recommendations. They may save another life someday.

I have used these systems on flycars before and most allow you to remove the key from the ignition while leaving the vehicle running (to maintain lights & radios). If this is what you are refering to, it would not have prevented this theft, or are you refering to some other system? Also what system is available to custom fire apparatus? The manufacturers all say it can not be done on those ignitions, is there an aftermarket solution that will not void the warrenties?

The new Rescue pumper being built for Arlington has power door locks and keypad combination for the locks. First step is to lock the vehicle if it is parked outside.

All of the systems I have used that over ride the ignition to keep a vehicle running after the key is remover kill the engine once the brake is pressed unless the key is returned to the run position.

Edited by 64FFMJK

The systems that allow for keys to be removed while the vehicle remains running are commonly referred to as ignition override systems. These systems require they "pggyback" or are spliced into the OEM ignition cirucits of the vehicle. With ther ever increasing complexity of the OEM computer, and the reliance of all the OEM systems on these computers, we believe the greater the possibility of potential conflicts that could result in poor performance, error codes or malfunctions. The Tremco system is indeed the one I was referring to. I'm not sure why the one particular PD ultimately stopped using them but I can say that several years ago, one of the components that works with the system experienced some ongoing issues with longevity. This issue has since been rectified by way of a new manufacturer and heavier duty construction. Since this time, we have had no problems with them at all.

They integrate very simply with the OEM system(s), require no splicing, cutting or invasion of any OEM wiring and work very well. They are in use accross the country, providing excellent security for a wide variety of vehicles. While the Tremco system is one method of vehicle security, I'm sure there may be others that could be explored. This just happens to be the one we evaluated and found to meet the overall requirements for our customers, were simple to install, cost effective and reliable. When we researched the various alternatives, we found the number of emergency vehicles that had been stolen in prior years, was much greater than we had heard of......a trend which seems to be increasing.

My only purpose in bringing this up is for providers to recognize this as an increasing problem and to raise the concept of a security system as a means by which valuable equipment and vehicles may be secured and the potential for another death, possibly be averted.

SWS1

RescueKujo likes this