Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

Man ordered to pay appeal costs of protesters at his son's funeral

27 posts in this topic

BaltimoreSun

On Friday, the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ordered that Albert Snyder of York, Pa., pay costs associated with Fred Phelps' appeal. Phelps is the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., which held a protest at the funeral of Snyder's son, Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, in Westminster in 2006.

At first glance this is a truly reprehensible decision in support of a vile group who deserve a horrible end under the boots of our service men and women. At the root is our first amendment right to freedom of speech. We're free to say pretty much whatever we want with few exceptions no matter how offensive. Fire away...

Edited by ny10570

I cant even describe in words how badly id love to torture those people.

We had these idiots threaten to protest a student's funeral when I was in school. The best way to deal with them is to hold up sheets/ tarps so that those at the event can't see them, and stand there with an iPod or the like on full blast to drown out their hate speech. Any sort of physical retaliation and they will take you to court.

Bill O'Reilly has said he is going to cover the costs of the appeal decision that he has to pay to the defendants.

However I'm still donating money to him for his supreme court case.

What is this guy appealing? There is no mention of any lawsuit. I mean these people are clearly nuts and not real baptists. It's sad that they are aloud to walk this planet and spew their hate speech. Would love to see the protests when one of thier own dies. HAHAHA just stand out front and have banners and remind them that their Loved one is going to hell for not loving his fellow man. Sucks they are trying to make this guy pay for nothing.

Mr. Snyder sued the Westboro Baptist Church and its members and won a 10+ million dollar lawsuit one or two years ago. The groups founder Fred Phelps won his appeal to the 4th circuit court. These clowns are not stupid. They have funded their lunacy largely through legal action in civil courts.

When I went down with a few of us from the company to the 2007 National Fallen Firefighters Memorial weekend at the National Fire Academy - they were there protesting us, it was quite interesting and hard to understand, hear and see the things they were spewing as we came in and out of the main gate. President Bush spoke that weekend, so they were far far away from the main festivities...

For anyone who hasn't heard of the Patriot Guard, check them out on Youtube. They are a group of bikers, the majority of whom are veterans, who ride all over the country to the funerals of fallen servicemen and women. They organized a peaceful counter protest at this man's sons funeral, forming a wall of american flags between these hate mongers and the family. Definetly worth checking it out if you haven't seen it.

unfortunately, this is the group that stood outside Dodger Stadium last September during the Memorial Service for Capt Hall and Firefighter Quinones. They target the very people who protect their First Amendment rights...

unfortunately, this is the group that stood outside Dodger Stadium last September during the Memorial Service for Capt Hall and Firefighter Quinones. They target the very people who protect their First Amendment rights...

Sickens me to death. Shows where this country is headed.

"The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-Thomas Jefferson

3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

This travesty shows how dysfunctional our political system has become. Both parties are dominated by either fascists or anarchists; the platforms are obsessed with the media-fueled "Liberal vs. Conservative" frenzy, and the majority of the American people, whom I believe to be moderate, are forgotten. I am sick that this man has to endure such an outrage and humiliation at the hands of a corrupt judiciary. If such outrages continue to happen in our United States, then surely Jefferson's missive will come to pass once again.

"The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-Thomas Jefferson

This travesty shows how dysfunctional our political system has become. Both parties are dominated by either fascists or anarchists; the platforms are obsessed with the media-fueled "Liberal vs. Conservative" frenzy, and the majority of the American people, whom I believe to be moderate, are forgotten. I am sick that this man has to endure such an outrage and humiliation at the hands of a corrupt judiciary. If such outrages continue to happen in our United States, then surely Jefferson's missive will come to pass once again.

Man that's deep. All I have to say is this CULT, disguised as a church (probably so the cult leader doesn't have to pay taxes to the gov't) will more than likely end up with some huge scandal that will ultimately be their downfall.

A good place to start would be to investigate the use/abuse of the children they have brainwashed and put out there to denegrate our war heroes with those ridiculous posters.

A good place to end would be for this cult leader to land in a place like Pelican Bay, locked down for 23 hrs a day for the rest of his miserable existance.

I hope the FBI has infiltrated this group and one day soon we read about the big takedown.

God Rest Mr. Snyder's son.

-Thomas Jefferson

Wow! VERY well said!

I'm sure the founders of this country are very disappointed as to what it has become.

I pray God will help teach those who preach the wrong messages from the Bible to understand what it really means to follow it

Taking the controversy surrounding the war out of the picture for a moment, how can a supposed "Christian" group desecrate the funeral of one of "God's Children?" Sounds a bit contradictory, if I may say. In life, no parent is supposed to bury his or her child, and for this poor soul to have to pay the legal costs for a group of people who chose to disrespect the funeral for a man who died as a member of the same military that formed so that these very people could have religious freedom is a slap in the face and smacks of the rather disgusting extreme-liberal turn that this country has taken since November 4, 2008.

Bill O'Reilly has said he is going to cover the costs of the appeal decision that he has to pay to the defendants.

However I'm still donating money to him for his supreme court case.

where and when did he say that?

We had these people protesting gay marriage here in Burlington and UVM earlier this year, we had 10-15 times the number of counter-protestors as they had actually protestors. They came off less right-wing christian soldier and more of as a senile grandmas who wandered out of the home...

I like the idea of playing music over them and setting up barriers human or otherwise between the event and the protestors....

I believe fully in freedom of speech and the first amendment but as it has been said before here, it must be used responsibly and correctly...shouting hate at grieving veterans and their families is not responsible use of the rights instilled in every American by the very people who they are protesting.

One only hopes that the correct actions are taken to win this appeal for the family and that this group maybe dissolved by any means needed to bring about that conclusion. Or maybe use our second amendment right to remind them the consequences of speaking before you think.

Edited by bvfdjc316

They're actually a small group, mostly related. Generally at any protest you're seeing the whole nut house. What interests me most about this is that liberals are generally the ones who are pro censorship and PC speech restrictions. The conservatives generally best embrace the illogical anti-abortion because every life is sacred/pro death penalty stance. Conservatives also tend to be anti gay rights. So to blame this on either side is ridiculous. These are asholes taking advantage of their 1st amendment to be as much of a piece of garbage as they please. Just because its unpopular, no matter how unpopular it still must be protected. There are other ways to handle this. Mourning zones proposed in many states is one way. Setting up an area around a funeral or memorial service where protests are prohibited allows people to be heard without interfering with a family's right to privacy.

These people should all be locked inside their beloved church while it is set on fire.

All I can say, as the father of an active Marine....God help the bastards if they were to do that if, God forbid, something happened to him!!! I know personally, I wouldn't be able to control myself, nor would the rest of my family or friends. In my eyes, what this amounts to is treason!!!! These boys died defending these bastards rights....Give them the respect they deserve!!

These people should all be locked inside their beloved church while it is set on fire.

I hope you are not serious, because if you are, you have no business being in emergency services.

I hope you are not serious, because if you are, you have no business being in emergency services.

Of course I'm not serious. That would put me in the same category as those crazy @holes. Are you seriously asking if I'm serious because if you are you have no business asking stupid questions. :D

p.s. I myself am an Iraq war vet and I can't imagine the things I would do to them if they ever showed up to one of my buddies funerals. That goes without saying.

Edited by paratrooper75

Its people like this that make me thankful there is a separation between Church and State..these people "answer" to "god", not a country or government....imagine these wackos running this country

Of course I'm not serious. That would put me in the same category as those crazy @holes. Are you seriously asking if I'm serious because if you are you have no business asking stupid questions. :D

I'm glad you were able to come up with a witty reply. Just remember that the public reads this forum and forms opinions based on what they read. Try and show better judgement next time.

Just as anyone can read it, anyone can post too. It's a thing called freedom of speech. Been around a while. Sorry you're offended. :D

1. I hate these bastards as much as anyone else; they make my blood boil. But I don't want them to know that - I'm sure they get their perverted kicks out of making peoples blood boil.

2. Yes they are smart, they're a family of lawyers and they make their money with this too.

3. I believe in the First Amendment. Fully. It's easy to support free speech when you agree with what someone has to say. The real test is when you're faced with someone saying something hateful; I don't inquire into the substance of someone's views before supporting their right to express them. Sad but true: good men died so that Phelps and his ilk would have that freedom, let's not forget that.

4. The best cure to hate speech is more speech and louder speech. Large motorcycles could well be effective; if I had one I'd likely volunteer to use it biggrin.gif