Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjpinto

Spy Shots Yonkers Ladder 72

45 posts in this topic

Awesome ladder, but lets get to the point. They want to lay all these guys off and there spending money on more equipment. You said an engine, ladder and squad are being replace. That's great, that money can save at least 15-20 jobs. I understand that you need to spend money on apparatus but really now!

Others have already made great points in response to this so I just want to add one more...

Capital project funds (bonds) and operating budget funds (tax levy) aren't the same thing and can't be interchanged. You can't bond for salaries (I'm pretty sure that's illegal!) and most places can't/don't buy major resources (such as apparatus) out of the operating funds (I suppose that's not illegal or otherwise prohibited, it just isn't cost effective or judicious).

Yonkers is going to need these trucks regardless of the current economic crisis and having top notch, state of the art equipment will probably help soften the blow of having fewer guys to do the work.

I'm interested to know if their were issues with the 2006 Squad 11 or if the replacement unit will add specific equipment and capabilities that the other didn't have? We actually looked and used verbiage from the ALF SQ11 specs when we were speccing our SQ3 but we had it built by Toyne.

I am sure that Chief Fitzpatrick or someone else within YFD could answer this question better than I, but from what I understand, the reason why YFD is replacing the 2006 ALF Rescue Pumper with the New 2010 Smeal/Spartan Rescue Pumper is simply because they (YFD) do not have a suitable Spare Rescue/Pumper (aka: Squad) that can handle all of the specialized equipment that it carries on the front line unit. (I had heard that this had been a major issue when YFD's Spare Rescue [Rescue 2] was out of service for major repairs, R1 had to use one of the Spare Ladders to run as R1 when their front line rig was in for PM). Again, can anyone within YFD answer this question more clearly?

I'm interested to know if their were issues with the 2006 Squad 11 or if the replacement unit will add specific equipment and capabilities that the other didn't have? We actually looked and used verbiage from the ALF SQ11 specs when we were speccing our SQ3 but we had it built by Toyne.

I am sure that Chief Fitzpatrick or someone else within YFD could answer this question better than I, but from what I understand, the reason why YFD is replacing the 2006 ALF Rescue Pumper with the New 2010 Smeal/Spartan Rescue Pumper is simply because they (YFD) do not have a suitable Spare Rescue/Pumper (aka: Squad) that can handle all of the specialized equipment that it carries on the front line unit. (I had heard that this had been a major issue when YFD's Spare Rescue [Rescue 2] was out of service for major repairs, R1 had to use one of the Spare Ladders to run as R1 when their front line rig was in for PM). Again, can anyone within YFD answer this question more clearly?

Of course the answer is clearly part of a well designed apparatus plan which comes as no surprise. Given that we have a 2006 ALF Eagle/LTI tower that's had minor issues this had piqued my interest.

nice rig but it is funny how everyone is doing more with less then we sit here and praise Yonkers for spending more money then people cry when they are asked to cut back. This is in no way an attack on the yfd personnel but couldnt you get a truck that fit the house without making the doors bigger? couldnt the rigs be used a little longer? I know my statement is unpopular but someone has to ask

nice rig but it is funny how everyone is doing more with less then we sit here and praise Yonkers for spending more money then people cry when they are asked to cut back. This is in no way an attack on the yfd personnel but couldnt you get a truck that fit the house without making the doors bigger? couldnt the rigs be used a little longer? I know my statement is unpopular but someone has to ask

As was pointed out earlier, these rigs all purchased off of budgets in place in 2007-2008, before the decline. As far as I know this truck is the same design put forth in the old HME/Smeal's from the last order. Shouldn't have to modify any firehouses for L72 to fit and these purchases are rounding out a fleet of apparatus that didn't have a good reserve pool for a long time.

Edited by mfc2257

Others have already made great points in response to this so I just want to add one more...

Capital project funds (bonds) and operating budget funds (tax levy) aren't the same thing and can't be interchanged. You can't bond for salaries (I'm pretty sure that's illegal!) and most places can't/don't buy major resources (such as apparatus) out of the operating funds (I suppose that's not illegal or otherwise prohibited, it just isn't cost effective or judicious).

Yonkers is going to need these trucks regardless of the current economic crisis and having top notch, state of the art equipment will probably help soften the blow of having fewer guys to do the work.

You make good points, but i have to disagree with the very last statement. New and up-to-date equipment is helpful an I'd like to think essential, however, NOTHING replaces manpower. I'd rather have one extra guy working in my company and a 20 year old rig than something new and shiny to ride SHORT in. People put fire out. People save lives. I'm not saying that we don't need reliable and modern equipment, but I just don't want to ever think that a rig will stand in lieu of proper staffing and position assignments.

**Also, to 191SH. Your question was answered several times above. You cannot compare the money spent on people to the money spent on apparatus. It is budgeted differently and you cannot interchange them. Apparatus are paid for with municipal bonds and over 10 or so years. This makes it's impact on the annual budget very small.

Edited by M' Ave

Apparatus or other major municipal purchases are generally part of a capital project program and planned replacement schedules are not unusual. Given the call volume in Yonkers and the wear and tear on the vehicles, how can you question their plan to replace vehicles?

Finally, are you really going to bring up door modifications of a firehouse? That's really a nonstarter as many firehouses have had additions or major construction due to changes in apparatus size over the years. Considering that Station 9 was built in 1932 and they still operate out of it, modifications are probably long overdue.

Apparatus or other major municipal purchases are generally part of a capital project program and planned replacement schedules are not unusual. Given the call volume in Yonkers and the wear and tear on the vehicles, how can you question their plan to replace vehicles?

Besides the call volume, the topography of Yonkers probably takes a heavy toll on the rigs as well. Many of those streets are literally paved mountain sides.

batt2 likes this

Good looking ladder... One question, there appears to be NO chevrons on the rear.... were they being added afterwards or what ??? I am not a big fan of them, but being on a truck committe now, we were told a percentage of the rear needs to be covered with them ??

The worse this economy gets, the more the trucks will be needed......thats for sure!

But nothing is going to soften the blow of fewer guys on the rigs..

Again, the Cap Ex used for the purchase of these new YFD Rigs came from 2007/2008, way prior to the current budget crisis. Let's all pray that the Mayor is able to secure funding from both the State and the Feds to maintain Public Services throughout the city. (On a side note, as others have also mentioned, Yonkers terrain is one of the most challenging in Westchester County. The Hills and narrow streets play a huge impact on the life expectancy on the Front Line Rigs of YFD. Many people don't take this into affect went looking at this subject.)

efdcapt115 likes this

E-309 was delivered to the dealer (NEFEA) last week - L-72 made a pitstop at FDIC before coming this way. Squad 11 should be by later in the week. Look for all 3 to be delivered mid / late May.

All three were S/B on I-95 crossing the CT/NY line around 0630 today.

Terrific! I would suspect that the 3 New Smeal/Spartans will be going into service sometime this week. Hopefully Joe Pinto or Batt2 will be posting photos of E309, Squad 11 and Ladder 72 here in EMTBravo as early as possibly sometime today. I am sure that many of us are looking forward to seeing how the New E309 and Squad 11 turned out (already have seen the spy photos of L72). Can you let us all know if you might be able to post them?

is the new squad still going to be a pumper or look more like a rescue???