Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

Port Chester 2nd alarm

27 posts in this topic

No smoke showing on arrival, Fire found on next street,

post-289-127362029642.jpg

3 story 30x 120 fire in rear rooms and back porches.

post-289-127362050986.jpg

There was no middle " DONE" !

LOL...Good answer...I deserve that!

What is PC's first alarm level and 2nd alarm level of responses?

LOL...Good answer...I deserve that!

What is PC's first alarm level and 2nd alarm level of responses?

3 engines 1 truck 1 heavy rescue , 2nd brings in 1 more engine [ manpower ]and the utility [ rehab] and the rest go on stand by .

Edited by PCFD ENG58

No air packs on the roof?

Looks like no need to me....who wants extra weight and to be off balance when you are 3 stories up and would not be on air anyways? Good call by the roof crew in my experience.

Edited by x129K

3 engines 1 truck 1 heavy rescue , 2nd brings in 1 more engine and the utility [ rehab] and the rest go on stand by .

Thanks....

No air packs on the roof?

Here we go ! We sold them to by diesel for the rigs !

x129K likes this

Here we go ! We sold them to by diesel for the rigs !

I thought Port Chester was going green??? You should be buying corn oil !!!!!

efdcapt115 likes this

I thought Port Chester was going green??? You should be buying corn oil !!!!!

Marc, usually your jokes are very funny. This one is way too corny bro.

Marc, usually your jokes are very funny. This one is way too corny bro.

George...why are you stalking me ????

George...why are you stalking me ????

HA! :lol: Because you are outstanding in your field bro.

Edited by efdcapt115

HA! :lol: Because you are outstanding in your field bro.

That is sow funny blink.gif.....

Hey Ang, if you look on the first pick above the building, right upper corner, you cannot tell if that grayish blotch is a light haze of smoke or if its a cloud because of the overcast day.

We always have to remember, just because nothing is showing outside, doesn't mean their is a surprise for us inside!

Looks like PCFD did another fine job!

Hey Ang, if you look on the first pick above the building, right upper corner, you cannot tell if that grayish blotch is a light haze of smoke or if its a cloud because of the overcast day.

We always have to remember, just because nothing is showing outside, doesn't mean their is a surprise for us inside!

Looks like PCFD did another fine job!

Yes that is smoke that was taken by the wind to the next street where the first call came in. Units had to search for it until they found it.

Another great stop by the PCFD!

Looks like no need to me....who wants extra weight and to be off balance when you are 3 stories up and would not be on air anyways? Good call by the roof crew in my experience.

I agree it would be nice, less weight but what happens when it goes south and they need the packs its eiser to mask up and click in then bailing off the roof over come with smoke. It looks like it was during overhaul but still should have all the gear. We should treat every alarm like its the big one gear should be on all of it. It dose look like a good stop good job.

Edited by Atv300

I agree it would be nice, less weight but what happens when it goes south and they need the packs its eiser to mask up and click in then bailing off the roof over come with smoke. It looks like it was during overhaul but still should have all the gear. We should treat every alarm like its the big one gear should be on all of it. It dose look like a good stop good job.

I think it's risk management. The members here may very well have felt the situation they were in was safer without SCBA. The risks being off balance, and limited field of vision with a facepice that could lead to falling off the roof (especially one like this without the parapet) outweighed the risk of needing a scba. The age of the bulding leads me to believe the support system is rafters and not lightweight componets. As for going south the roof should have an officer if possible. The officer should not become involved in the work. That way an officer with their experince not only directs the tactical operation but more importantly monitors conditions and pulls the plug when necessary.

Remember585 likes this

I think it's risk management. The members here may very well have felt the situation they were in was safer without SCBA. The risks being off balance, and limited field of vision with a facepice that could lead to falling off the roof (especially one like this without the parapet) outweighed the risk of needing a scba. The age of the bulding leads me to believe the support system is rafters and not lightweight componets. As for going south the roof should have an officer if possible. The officer should not become involved in the work. That way an officer with their experince not only directs the tactical operation but more importantly monitors conditions and pulls the plug when necessary.

I agree with the Lieu. I don't even see smoke in the pic with the 2 roof men. Risk assessment. Reading smoke is important too.

I agree with the Lieu. I don't even see smoke in the pic with the 2 roof men. Risk assessment. Reading smoke is important too.

I want to add that if you have a doubt you should take your SCBA. ATV is right that things can go south and if the roof is an IDLH and your going to continue to operate up there you need an SCBA. The point of my post is that your not necessarily safer on the roof with an SCBA. Not to long ago antiquefirelt made a great case why his department generally dosen't vent peaked roofs with SCBA. I would almost always take my SCBA to the roof with me but would cut without it on. Many times my assignment might require me to perform searches following initial roof duties. Our number one lesson we teach our members is when you get to the roof confirm your way off. Obviously 2 ways off is prefered and most important monitoring conditions contiously so if members can safely evacuate if necessary.