Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dc2t

Why? Is this the image we want to project?

42 posts in this topic

WOW, just WOW....What are these clowns thinking?

What the hell is going through these morons heads? Whats with the Chiefs and officers for allowing this? Whats wrong with OTHER Chiefs, Officers, FF's, EMT's, LEO's for not speaking up? On top of all of that, what the hell is the driver of the rig thinking?

Thanks Bogota FD for making the Vol fire service look like crap once again! Absolutely disgusting!

efdcapt115 and M' Ave like this

TRULY as poor show of professionalism. This reflects poor leadership and lousy foresight. Hopefully, someone with some authority in Mamaroneck made a phone call the to Chief in Bogata and informed him that this behavior was unacceptable and they wouldn't be invited back should this conduct persist.

The Mamaroneck parade is a great event. It's a great day for the community to see the men and women that donate their time, or dedicate their career to the protect each respective municipality. It's also a great time for the dept. members to meet and socialize with one another at the parade's conclusion. Unacceptable behavior needs to be policed as to not besmirch a positive event.

I really don't see a problum with this my old dept. For fun paraide's we would sometimes set guys on the roof or hose bed as long as its a just play around paraide and it was not judged. Bit for letting them set there to ride to it hell no if its not a dress one or anything big. Have fun as long as there safe

And really we all can have a opinion on something but we really have no say in what other dept's do they will do what they won't to and that's fine for them let them deal with it every fire house is different and does there own thing

And really we all can have a opinion on something but we really have no say in what other dept's do they will do what they won't to and that's fine for them let them deal with it every fire house is different and does there own thing

OSHA & NFPA have developed regulations and standards that over the years many in the fire service have complained about. How many of those regulations and standards that we all have to follow were developped because of the actions of stupidity. Your response is the perfect example of why we are our own worst enemy.

I really don't see a problum with this my old dept. For fun paraide's we would sometimes set guys on the roof or hose bed as long as its a just play around paraide and it was not judged. Bit for letting them set there to ride to it hell no if its not a dress one or anything big. Have fun as long as there safe

Besides being highly unsafe, it looks ridiculous. If you want to ride on the roof in random clothing during a parade, rent a flatbed or hot dog truck. Don't do it with official emergency response vehicles and apparatus.

I really don't see a problum with this my old dept.

And this is the real problem.

For fun paraide's we would sometimes set guys on the roof or hose bed as long as its a just play around paraide and it was not judged. Bit for letting them set there to ride to it hell no if its not a dress one or anything big. Have fun as long as there safe

How can it be safe?

What a great example this sets for the community. Because kids see this and many of us have responded to teens/young adults who thought it was ok to hand out of the car or ride on the roof, hood or trunk.

In addition to the risk to your members, what risk are you placing your community & department in? In Waterbury CT. after a fatal accident the family is sueing the apparatus opperator and the department for not enforcing a seat belt policy. Now you think its ok to climb up top past those nice warning plaques that say do not ride on the outside of the truck. If a member falls and is killed, do you think his family might sue the driver and the dept.?

How do you explain that to the taxpayers that will foot the bill.

helicopper likes this

Are you serious? There is nothing to play around when talking about fire apparatuses. Every piece of equipment if used improperly has the potential to do serious harm. Yes we can have an opinion and the opinion here is that what occurred with those rigs was completely inappropriate and reckless. We are lucky that nothing serious happened and everyone got to go home. But it could have had a tragic ending. I dont want to be the person responsible for explaining to the mans family that he wont be coming home because he was killed in a parade accident that should never have happened.

I agree with previous posters that this should never have been allowed to happen. An officer of the host department should have put a stop to this before it got this far.

helicopper and M' Ave like this

. Now you think its ok to climb up top past those nice warning plaques that say do not ride on the outside of the truck.

The fact that they have to place labels like this on the vehicles says it all.

My friend, your logic is as sound as your spelling, grammar and sentence structure.

Edited by M' Ave
helicopper, JohnnyOV and wraftery like this

My friend, your logic is as sound as your spelling, grammar and sentence structure.

I was trying to think of a "respectful" way to say that. You got it. Thanks!

M' Ave likes this

Ignorance is contagious. We tend to accept the reality with which we are presented. I can't blame you for being exposed to unsafe practices when you first joined the fire service, but it is the duty of every firefighter to look beyond the culture of their department and educate themselves on how to improve. There are thousands of online resources that tell us how to prevent firefighter injuries and deaths. Don't wait for the next guy in the chain of command to enact change. Start with leading by example.

One Fire Fighter Dies and Another is Severely Injured in a Single Vehicle Rollover Crash - Georgia

A Career Lieutenant Dies and Three Fire Fighters are Injured in Ladder Truck Crash - Massachusetts

Fire Fighter Dies after being Ejected from a Pumper in a Single Vehicle Rollover Crash - New York

Volunteer Captain Dies in Engine Rollover - Colorado

A Career Captain Dies and a Fire Fighter/Driver is Seriously Injured When Two Fire Trucks Collide at an Intersection - Connecticut

Safety is everyones responsibility not just the Chiefs or officers. Fireguy do you really think being on top of 10 foot tall moving apparatus is safe? Here is a link to a news article you might find interesting (I hope).

http://firedaily.com/2009/12/lodd-battalion-chief-tommy-adams-shreveport-la-fire-department/

WOuld you want to tell the family of one of your friends that they died in a preventable way? To look cool at a parade?