Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dc2t

Why? Is this the image we want to project?

42 posts in this topic

Looking at the photos I was amazed of the photo of Bogota NJ engine with two half wits riding on the roof. I can see the headlines now "Firefighter injured in parade" . Why was this allowed ? You cant fix stupid.

DC2T

pic by Firedude

post-64-000328000 1277999536.jpg

Edited by dc2t
JBE likes this

i was thinking the same thing...very stupid...

when i was in a particular fire dept, we took one engine and one ladder to the mamaroneck parade (i think 2002), anyways both rigs were full, there were 2 people that couldn't fit in the rigs, so the officers allowed them to be seated ON the rig...on the hose bed that is...

we didn't take local roads either, we took I287, to I95 to Mamaroneck Ave...i think my exapmple tops this pic.

it was a very sad day to see officers allow this behavior...

(These weren't officers that were in their 20's - which are sadly more common today. these officers had 20+ years in the department)

Edited by EMSer

I'm assuming this was a parade of some sort so I have a few questions. First, if it was a parade why weren't these guys in parade dress ? Besides looking like morons riding on the top of the rig they look totally unprofessional wearing shorts and work boots while wearing their dress uniform hat. Socond , wouldn't it be safer and look much better if these guys were standing on the back bumper of the rig behind the hose bed holding on to the side rails ?

Just my 2 cents ... Stay Safe All

Edited by crime cop

Looking at the photos I was amazed of the photo of Bogota NJ engine with two half wits riding on the roof. I can see the headlines now "Firefighter injured in parade" . Why was this allowed ? You cant fix stupid.

DC2T

People have a right to be stupid I guess.

In my opinion comming from NJ to a parade no where near Jersey is crazy. What a bunch of idiots!

Would anyone be suprised if alcohol was involved?

unfortunately its bogota only as every parade they attend they act the same.

last year at mamaroneck and Washington twp 100th, im not hating on them but its a saftey issue

post-18231-027337300 1278018618.jpg

post-18231-099466000 1278018625.jpg

Maybe departments should stop inviting them to parades.... Anyone think the host department could be sued for allowing such unsafe practices to go on during their event? I do and I am sure plenty of lawyers would too.

Maybe departments should stop inviting them to parades.... Anyone think the host department could be sued for allowing such unsafe practices to go on during their event? I do and I am sure plenty of lawyers would too.

I can not believe, especially that in this day and age that the Chief of this department would allow this to happen.

unfortunately its bogota only as every parade they attend they act the same.

A classy bunch too....this is a page from their official web site.....

http://www.bogotafire.org/default.htm

(LOOK FOR the "just when you think you've seen it all" page

Edited by x129K

When you are incapable of checking your ego at the front door of the firehouse, chances are you'll choose to ride on the roof of the rig given a chance. "Look at me, I'm such a H E R O.... "

Okay, so Bogata, dudes you've got to get with the program! Some of your members obviously need a slap down, so to speak. Who's in charge over there anyway, ANYONE?

If you want to look cool and "professional", sit yourselves down and fill up the crew cab, try and look like you're a fully staffed engine company. Now that's impressive.....

And no fighting for the nozzle!....

another thing 2 years ago as i was walking around the lineup area killing time,i decided to take photos of the rigs most departments greeted me and ask where i was from etc. Untill that is i got to bogota when one of the female fighters if she was even one, when she see's me take my camera out and start take pictures of the rig she Yells at me hey can we eat first.

A classy bunch too....this is a page from their official web site.....

http://www.bogotafire.org/default.htm

(LOOK FOR the "just when you think you've seen it all" page

I can not believe that page...it is as unprofessional and improper as I have ever seen. IMHO their apparent attitude, demeanor and actions are an insult to the fire service. I do not know anything of their operations, one can only hope their operations are not nearly as unprofessional as their appearance.

Didn't we see this same department doing the same stupid antics during last year's parade season and have the same discussion?

Here's a question for all - if one of these "heroes" falls off the engine and dies are you going to tell me it was a line of duty death?

Didn't we see this same department doing the same stupid antics during last year's parade season and have the same discussion?

Here's a question for all - if one of these "heroes" falls off the engine and dies are you going to tell me it was a line of duty death?

Sadly...they probably would...

I, personally would not support that decision....

Something to think about for the future for Chiefs or Officers running parades, we just hosted one in June and sent out a list of DO NOT DO's for the visiting Dept.s. It was simple if they could not comply with our requests they dont come and march, nobody complained at all, because deep down they knew all of our DO NOT DO's were the right thing to DO...that sounded like a Yogism!

Edited by spin_the_wheel

There are judges for the apparatus, marching and best bands. Maybe the hosting dept.should have a safety officer to enforce some sort of rules to make sure everyone is safe even the half wits.

DC2T

I would be willing to bet they waxed the bejeezez on that roof in the morning just before they left for the parade.

If you are going to ride up there, you want it nice and slippery in case the driver stops short.

Hopefully, the Bogota Ambulance Corps is next in the line of march and not riding the roof of the bus.

BFD1054 likes this

Hopefully, the Bogota Ambulance Corps is next in the line of march and not riding the roof of the bus.

Probably the Bogota First Aid Squad if were talking about jersey.

I was surprised that you all still bring this up every year. It's the same thing. "Hey look at these knuckleheads on top of the rig" Or "look there are 27 people on the ladder truck". We all know that it is wrong. This is not anything new. I also like the idea of a safety officer out in the staging area who can pick out the Disqualifications before hand. Then at the end right before the awards you read the DQ roll call and let everyone know that they failed to heed the safety rules. No trophy, no awards just good old fashion ridicule. Is this going a little too far, ya clearly, but you all know it would be a great idea.

Also I was surprised to see that the guys were not tan and covered in Hawaiian Tropic and glitter. I know they love that stuff down on the Jersey shore :D

But really stay off the roof guys and stay safe.

helicopper likes this

I've seen several people comment that this department is "unprofessional". I guess it's professional to get to the end of a parade and have all the (of age hopefully) firefighters meet at a park or little league field and drink til they can't drink no more. I'm not saying anything against it (I've done it many times myself), but when speaking of professionalism, those in glass houses...

I've seen several people comment that this department is "unprofessional". I guess it's professional to get to the end of a parade and have all the (of age hopefully) firefighters meet at a park or little league field and drink til they can't drink no more. I'm not saying anything against it (I've done it many times myself), but when speaking of professionalism, those in glass houses...

BIIIG difference fella.....BIG difference!

With the childish behavior, is anyone in that dept. over 21?

The fire service is '200 years of tradition unimpeded by progress'”, they wont change their ways. Not unless someone gets hurt and files a lawsuit.

I'm surprised they aren't fist pumping :unsure:

Tiesto wasn't on the band's playlist

There's a difference between riding on an apparatus roof and consuming adult beverages after the event. If the apparatus operators are drinking, yes it is a big no-no. If the apparatus is supposed to be in service and the crew is drinking that's also a big no-no. But if the parade go-ers are just that, parade go-ers, what does their recreating after the parade have to do with being unsafe and unprofessional during the parade?

BFD1054 and M' Ave like this