Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Laid-off White Plains police officers find new homes

12 posts in this topic

Laid-off White Plains police officers find new homes

By Randi Weiner • rcweiner@lohud.com • August 19, 2010

BRONXVILLE — Four of White Plains' finest who lost their jobs in a recent downsizing have joined the Bronxville and Tuckahoe police forces with the blessings of their old bosses and a savings to the villages

http://www.lohud.com/article/20100819/NEWS02/8190314/Laid-off-White-Plains-police-officers-find-new-homes

Good for them but I feel for the home grown kids that were that close to getting the job and now may never!

Good for them but I feel for the home grown kids that were that close to getting the job and now may never!

It's kind of hard for Bronxville to get any homegrowns to join the police dept, or the EFD which incorporates B'Ville. I think it's awesome that TPD and BPD stepped up for the laid off officers. Congrats and good luck.

As a side note, a few years back EFD wanted to go into the B'ville high school to try and recruit vounteers. They we told sorry, our students don't do that.

It's kind of hard for Bronxville to get any homegrowns to join the police dept, or the EFD which incorporates B'Ville. I think it's awesome that TPD and BPD stepped up for the laid off officers. Congrats and good luck.

As a side note, a few years back EFD wanted to go into the B'ville high school to try and recruit vounteers. They we told sorry, our students don't do that.

Good for EFD

Sounds like a discrimination law suit waiting to happen. How can EFD hire a diverse cross section of the population it serves if they are barred from recruiting in the Bronxville schools. Where's the ACLU when you need them.

Good for EFD

As I remember it "Carter Gagen" was the last B'ville volunteer... :lol:

(Hey Demps 'memba him? lmao)

I'm glad to see that our laid off brother and sister have found new homes, Congrats !! Good for the cops and good for the villages.

The article in the journal fish wrap was a little weird, listing their hobbies and likes, it seemed a little like a personals ad !!!

It seems very elitist that Bronxville wouldn't let any recruitment take place there, kinda sad really I guess it's beneath them to help their fellow neighbors, unreal..

Congratulations to the former White Plains Police Officers.

Sadly, I haven't read of any good news for the White Plains Firefighters who were also laid off.

It seems very elitist that Bronxville wouldn't let any recruitment take place there, kinda sad really I guess it's beneath them to help their fellow neighbors, unreal..

That's the first impression I got when I read the above post. "Our kids are too good to become Cops". If that's true, I know of a few other places that only want doctors, lawyers, or Wall St Pros.

And like somebody said, "lets get those laid off Firefighters a job somewhere". It will be some place else gain, and White Plains F.D. loss. Same for Yonkers. Well trained, experienced, cops and firefighters could sure benefit someplace else looking for new recruits.

efdcapt115 likes this

Good for the officers and villages of Bronxville and Tuckahoe.

In the future when White Plains decides it needs to hire more officers, my bet is none of the laid-off officers will apply, given they got the shaft from the city once, already.

And what's up with the school down there, anyway? "sorry, our students don't do that." ?!!

The article in the journal fish wrap was a little weird, listing their hobbies and likes, it seemed a little like a personals ad !!!

A tid-bit I gleaned from the Lohud piece was one of the B'Ville officers had started with the NYPD. Another with the MVPD. That's what originally made me so angry about what the city of White Plains did to these cops and firefighters. When a cop transfers from one place with job security, under the assumption that the new employer understands what that employee is giving up to come over to job, it is the height of irresponsibility for that municipality to then turn around and lay-off the employee.

Lay-offs can literally destroy lives. If a municipality is going to take on an employee in civil service, they should damn well know how and what their financial health is going to be going forward. Otherwise, don't hire in the first place! I'm sure the officer would have gladly held onto his position in the NYPD if there was any indication from White Plains that maybe they wouldn't be able to fund his position in a couple of years. White Plains should have made it clear to their new hires, especially the transferee's, that the chance of lay-offs loomed in the near future. Then if a person decides to take that chance; well at least they know what they're getting into.

I still say SHAME on White Plains, and that city has an obligation to all laid off cops & FFs to follow up with support services to help get all of them placed or rehired. Until then, I hope the mayor and city council carry it heavily on their consciences, and they don't sleep at night. <_<

Alpinerunner and firefighter36 like this

A tid-bit I gleaned from the Lohud piece was one of the B'Ville officers had started with the NYPD. Another with the MVPD. That's what originally made me so angry about what the city of White Plains did to these cops and firefighters. When a cop transfers from one place with job security, under the assumption that the new employer understands what that employee is giving up to come over to job, it is the height of irresponsibility for that municipality to then turn around and lay-off the employee.

Lay-offs can literally destroy lives. If a municipality is going to take on an employee in civil service, they should damn well know how and what their financial health is going to be going forward. Otherwise, don't hire in the first place! I'm sure the officer would have gladly held onto his position in the NYPD if there was any indication from White Plains that maybe they wouldn't be able to fund his position in a couple of years. White Plains should have made it clear to their new hires, especially the transferee's, that the chance of lay-offs loomed in the near future. Then if a person decides to take that chance; well at least they know what they're getting into.

I still say SHAME on White Plains, and that city has an obligation to all laid off cops & FFs to follow up with support services to help get all of them placed or rehired. Until then, I hope the mayor and city council carry it heavily on their consciences, and they don't sleep at night. <_<

Long story short, I sure agree with the above.