Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

E-One Unviels 137' Aluminum Aerial

21 posts in this topic

not that new:

there is at least an 1989 135ft e-one.

http://www.adirondac...9e1135arial.htm

DC and Syracuse run 135's also. Just adding a few feet to garner some publicity like when they blew the doors off of Pierce, KME, Seagrave and everyone else's 75' straight sticks by inventing the 78' straight stick.

I thought this was a joke - a 137" aluminum aerial ???? thought it was a model...

haha! Good catch. That's a pretty impressive ladder. I wonder how long until the other manufacturers follow suit?

Wow, that's surprising that E-One would go back to building ladders over 130'. Are they expecting a huge contract with a big city or something?

ALF back in its hey-day had 125' and 135', I want to say in the early 1950s they toyed with them but they never caught on. I think Chicago still has a 135' E-One ladder on their reserve roster too.

haha! Good catch. That's a pretty impressive ladder. I wonder how long until the other manufacturers follow suit?

follow suit? Thats old news!60 years old.

Many years ago at the state Chief's show at the concord (when it was good) there was a 144' ladder which I believe was steel.

They are actually 135s. They add the extra 2ft as the tip. Ferrara does this as their 103ft. The aerial is actually a 100ft Smeal with a 3ft bolt on tip.

Edited by TL2L31

I believe Smeal also makes a 125', they did a few for a few departments in Canada.

I heard in the past people say e-one isnt that great of a manufacturer an im not tryin to knock dem or nothin just saying. And how many people really want an aluminum ladder I personally like steel but aluminum idk.

44 I agree with you, I prefer steel also.

Thus far E-One has a perfect record of no catastrophic aerial failures. Very few builders can say the same. As for steel vs/ aluminum, aluminum allows far larger aerials at reduced weight, allowing for wider ladders with taller rails, making them nicer to climb. I'm not a big E-One fan per se, but you have to give hem credit that they seem to know what they're doing when it comes to aerials.

I heard in the past people say e-one isnt that great of a manufacturer an im not tryin to knock dem or nothin just saying.

My department happens to have an E-one 75' Quint that is now almost 9 years old and I don't think anybody in the department would be opposed to getting another when the time comes to replace it.

And how many people really want an aluminum ladder I personally like steel but aluminum idk.

I'd say a lot of people considering that E-one seems to have a large number of aerials in fire stations. Plus, Sutphen also builds aluminum ladders and has sold quite a few of them over the years. On top of that, Pierce got into the aluminum ladder market a few years ago because they felt enough departments were interested in aluminum ladders that they wanted the chance for that business.

If you prefer steel, that's fine. However, from experience and observation, there's absolutely nothing wrong with aluminum ladders.

ALF back in its hey-day had 125' and 135', I want to say in the early 1950s they toyed with them but they never caught on. I think Chicago still has a 135' E-One ladder on their reserve roster too.

Yes, I believe Chicago has either one or two E-One 135' ladders in their reserve. I know one served as Aerial Tower 1 out of CFD Station # 1 in Downtown Chicago, but I'm not sure if the other ran as Aerial Tower 2 and where it was housed. Also, in 1961, Magirus made two seven-section 146' ladders to serve the FDNY. Both were mounted on 1961 Mack C85 chassis'. One served as Ladder 24(a.k.a. High Ladder 1), the other as Ladder 115. However, it soon became impractical, and in 1969, the Macks were refitted with 100' Grove ladders.

I dont have a prob with aluminum just saying you know it doesnt affect me at all whats ever better for your department go get it just as long as there all doing the same thing which is saving lives.

I'd say a lot of people considering that E-one seems to have a large number of aerials in fire stations. Plus, Sutphen also builds aluminum ladders and has sold quite a few of them over the years. On top of that, Pierce got into the aluminum ladder market a few years ago because they felt enough departments were interested in aluminum ladders that they wanted the chance for that business.

Not to mention "everyone's favorite" aerial: the Aerialscope is all aluminum after the base section. It appears the tired anti-aluminum argument's are rarely based on any real fact.

Not to mention "everyone's favorite" aerial: the Aerialscope is all aluminum after the base section. It appears the tired anti-aluminum argument's are rarely based on any real fact.

I knew the minute I saw this topic antique the steel vs. aluminum mention would come up. For all you "steel" honchos..I'll say it again...go back and research aerial ladder failures and tell me how many were steel ladders and how many were aluminum. 2010 and there are those that still attempt to claim steel is better. Aluminum ladders (my preference, but will use whatever gets bought and maintained) have an excellent safety record, are lighter, and dissipate heat more efficiently then steel ladders. Not to mention that steel ladders look like crap after a few years or moderate to heavy use when the paint starts going.

As far as E one and their rep. We have 3 of them and have had no major issue or any significant numbers of minor issues that don't come with normal wear and tear with our call volume. I would love to replace the engine I'm assigned to with another Eone. I also came from a county in Virginia which was an all E one county and again excellent results.

Edited by alsfirefighter

The real question isn't how long (high) the ladder can extend, but who are you going to get to climb them? There have been problems in the past with 144' aerial ladders that not many were willing to climb.

The real question isn't how long (high) the ladder can extend, but who are you going to get to climb them? There have been problems in the past with 144' aerial ladders that not many were willing to climb.

I'd sooner climb any E-One aluminum aerial than a comparable steel ladder just for the case of wider sections and taller rails. They just feel safer. It has nothing to do with my understanding(or lack of) metallurgy, but from a human perspective. Not to mention the few times I had occasion to ascend an E-One aerial the deflection was completely unnoticeable, compared to many climbs up many steel aerials where it felt like climbing the last few feet of a pine tree!