Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rpbravest29fd

Ferrara Begins Constructions On FDNY Rescue Trucks

43 posts in this topic

The cab looks VERY similar to the current E-One Saulsbury Rescues.

Correct! All 5 are being replaced. I believe that this one is headed for R2. R1 has the newest rig and should be last to be replaced. I think you can more or less expect this rig to resemble HM1....less a few lab toys.

Maybe they'll get going on the 20 rear-mounts that are supposedly coming in at the first of the new year......It'd be nice because the 2001 rear-mounts are BEAT!

Edited by M' Ave

Are they going by which ones are the newest to be replaced last or by who has the most wear and tear? I'm quite sure R1 has more wear and tear than R5 does already. I'm just looking at it from a different point. It really makes no difference to me. :ph34r:

Generally replacement is done based upon age. Vehicles may be replaced sooner if found to be overly beat up during preventative maintenance.

Wont be to long before Tower Ladders are going to be built if Ferrarra can come up with a design that meets the current specs. I heard all the new tower Ladders from Seagrave from the last delivery were put out of service. A new one in Queens lost a wheel coming out of quarters.

Edited by spin_the_wheel

Great looking truck. Ferrara makes nice rescue pumpers. Best of luck with the new rigs.

Nice cab!!! It looks a lot like their Ultra chassis run that they did for the FDNY, the FDMV, and Pelham FD. I assume that the old E-Ones(Rescue's 2, 3, 4, & 5) and eventually the Pierce Arrow XT(Rescue 1) will go into reserves as spares. Does anyone know if Rescue 6 will remain with the same rig? Also, is Rescue 6 a full-time company?

Anyhow, good luck with them FDNY!!!

Edited by sfrd18

Ferrara Begins Construction On FDNY Rescue Trucks, while HME finishes DESTRUCTION on SFRD new Rescue truck.....Just Sayin'............

Rescue 6 is a reserve rig that was last staffed for the Republican National Convention. I believe they're keeping 1 as a spare and 1 as Rescue 6.

Ferrara Begins Construction On FDNY Rescue Trucks, while HME finishes DESTRUCTION on SFRD new Rescue truck.....Just Sayin'............

The HME Cab and chasis on the five F.D.N.Y. 1996 Rescues were junk. Electrical problems, alternator fell out of one of the rigs while returning from a run ... coolant had to be added after every 24 hours ... When first placed into service, while responding, they would suddenly not come out of first gear, the rig would have to pull over, be completely shut down, wait 60 seconds and then re-started. There was a long list of problems. I hope the Ferrara's turn out to be good, reliable rigs.

sounds like FDNY has lost their confidence in Seagrave with this current rescue order and the upcoming possible orders w/ Ferrara. Has Seagrave just gotten lazy w/ their quality? and I haven't been keeping track on Ferrara but I guess they have figured out their financial problems and have enough quality to win FDNY contracts?

Nice cab!!! It looks a lot like their Ultra chassis run that they did for the FDNY, the FDMV, and Pelham FD. I assume that the old E-Ones(Rescue's 2, 3, 4, & 5) and eventually the Pierce Arrow XT(Rescue 1) will go into reserves as spares. Does anyone know if Rescue 6 will remain with the same rig? Also, is Rescue 6 a full-time company?

It is indeed a part time company, as was mentioned above. There is no rig assigned specifically for that purpose. The R6 lettering was removed from the rig used during the RNC.

It might just be me but that rescue looks bigger

The Pelham engine is basically an FDNY rig that was never delivered to FDNY. It was even in FDNY graphics, and used by Ferrara as a demonstrator before Pelham picked it up. I remember they had it down in Baltimore a few years ago. The only other FDNY Engines like this one are 54, 258, and 26. I was assigned to 54 Engine when they got their Ferrara. I didn't like it.....................

Mt. Vernon's engine's were built to FDNY specs.

Edited by CBX4627

sounds like FDNY has lost their confidence in Seagrave with this current rescue order and the upcoming possible orders w/ Ferrara. Has Seagrave just gotten lazy w/ their quality? and I haven't been keeping track on Ferrara but I guess they have figured out their financial problems and have enough quality to win FDNY contracts?

Heard the reason why Seagrave didn't even bid on these rescues and new rearmounts was because the job put too many clauses into the warranty. Seagrave wanted no part of that.

You can hear good and bad about every truck builder out there, but Seagrave quality has had some major problems in the last few years. Some of the FDNY guys I know that have been there for a long time think the Seagrave stuff now being delivered is crap compared to the quality stuff 15 to 25 years ago. Part of the reason may be due to the large contracts to FDNY over the years. FDNY is now all Seagrave, remember Mack and American LaFrance were well represented in almost all eras of FDNY... will see what happens to Ferrara when they take on FDNY.

I wouldn't say that at all based on these orders.

First, Seagrave has not been building Rescues for the City. If I'm not mistaken, other than the current Rescue 1 and the "post 9/11 Rescue donations", the last several rounds of Rescues have been built by Saulsbury on various chassis. Ferrara was also the only bidder on this round. So, I think it's quite a reach to say that this has any reflection on Seagrave.

Second, the rearmount order was only bid by Seagrave and Ferrara if I'm not mistaken. The Seagrave bid was deemed "non-compliant" or something of that sorts - based on the warranty issues and that left Ferrara as the only option. Again, doesn't sound like a "losing confidence" issue to me as much as it is a "bid process" matter.

Saulsbury is now E-one. The 2002 Rescues which are being replaced have the E-one/Saulsbury badge.

The latest photos are up on Ferrara's website as well as the begining of another rescue. www.ferrarafire.com/CustomerSupport/InProduction/InProduction.html

I'm guessing that the second Rescue will go to Rescue 3?

Also, I wonder why Ferrara hasn't posted photos of Newark's 3 New Engines, unless they aren't in production yet?

Also, is Rescue 6 a full-time company?

No, for the 786 time, for one week back in 2004 is was.

FFBlaser likes this

Is the pierce rescue 1 not holding up? It is only 5 years old is it not? Why is it being replaced so soon?

As per rescue 4s web page the first ferrara will be going to them

According to Rescue 2's website, the first Ferrara rescue will be going to them.

According to Rescue 2's website, the first Ferrara rescue will be going to them.

post the link then because I looked and its not there.

Is the pierce rescue 1 not holding up? It is only 5 years old is it not? Why is it being replaced so soon?

FDNY apparatus usually get replaced every 5 years. After five years, they serve as a spare.