Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Did Columbus Really Discover America?

18 posts in this topic

I know that Columbus Day is a popular holiday to celebrate Italian heritage, but did he really discover America?

I know there's a lot of academic debate, but the Native Americans were here first. And (the British, etc) basically destroyed their culture and land. Shouldn't it be "Native American Day"? Or, can't we have a "Patriot Day" like Massachusetts and Maine do instead?

Just some thoughts after reading an article saying this is the "least celebrated holiday" and some states aren't even observing it anymore.

North America: First settlers came over the Ice bridge that formed between Alaska and Russia during the end of the last ice age some 12,000 years ago. These settlers then formed many of the Native peoples found on North America. After that, the next recorded "discovery" of the new world was by the Vikings 1,000 yeas ago in New Foundland.

To answer your question, no Columbus did not discover America, he just took all of the credit, as an America would do, he also didn't even find what he was looking for in the first place.

Edited by bvfdjc316

North America: First settlers came over the Ice bridge that formed between Alaska and Russia during the end of the last ice age some 12,000 years ago. These settlers then formed many of the Native peoples found on North America. After that, the next recorded "discovery" of the new world was by the Vikings 1,000 yeas ago in New Foundland.

To answer your question, no Columbus did not discover America, he just took all of the credit, as an America would do, he also didn't even find what he was looking for in the first place.

Re: the Ice Bridge Also across the same bridge (way before EZPass) were the Incas, Aztecs, Mayans etc.

Brendan the Navigator of Ireland is running neck-and neck with Eric the Red, a Viking, in the who go here first debate.

Columbus got here much later, but he got the better Press coverage. He called the people he met here Indians because he thought he was in India. He was wrong.

Then much later, the politically correct numbskulls surfaced and called those people Native Americans. The PC numbskulls were wrong too (See ice bridge)

The people here in NY before the Euopeans were the Siwanoy, Mohicans Iriquois etc.

So what should we call the holiday on Oct 12th? Don't worry about it....the way things are going, we may not have a country by next October.

efdcapt115 likes this

Of course he did , just where do you think Sausage and peppers came from ! DA

Bjarni Herjólfsson was the first European explorer to discover the Americas in 985-986 A.D. Originally from Norway, he visited his father in Iceland every summer. Once, while searching for his father who had gone with Eric the Red to Greenland, a storm blew him and his ship's crew off course after departing from Iceland. He and his crew ended up accidentally sighting land covered with trees and mountains that was not Greenland. Although his crew urged him to stop and explore the new land, he remained stubborn and pressed on to regain his course to Greenland to see his father. Bjarni reported his findings of the new land in Greenland and Norway, but nobody seemed to be interested at the time, until 10 years later when the Viking Leif Ericson bought the ship Bjarni had used for the voyage, hired a crew of 35 people, and set out to see the new land. The result was thought to be a Viking settlement in L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland, Canada, making it the first known attempt by Europeans of settling the new land.

So, ultimately, Columbus was not the first to discover America.

Edited by sfrd18

Or, can't we have a "Patriot Day" like Massachusetts and Maine do instead?

We "celebrate" both. Today was a paid holiday and everything around was closed up, other than restaurants catching the last of the "Leaf-peepers". BTW it's Patriots' Day we have in ME and MA; September 11th is now Patriot Day.

Bjarni Herjólfsson was the first European explorer to discover the Americas in 985-986 A.D. Originally from Norway, he visited his father in Iceland every summer. Once, while searching for his father who had gone with Eric the Red to Greenland, a storm blew him and his ship's crew off course after departing from Iceland. He and his crew ended up accidentally sighting land covered with trees and mountains that was not Greenland. Although his crew urged him to stop and explore the new land, he remained stubborn and pressed on to regain his course to Greenland to see his father. Bjarni reported his findings of the new land in Greenland and Norway, but nobody seemed to be interested at the time, until 10 years later when the Viking Leif Ericson bought the ship Bjarni had used for the voyage, hired a crew of 35 people, and set out to see the new land. The result was thought to be a Viking settlement in L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland, Canada, making it the first known attempt by Europeans of settling the new land.

So, ultimately, Columbus was not the first to discover America.

C'mon, now, I bet you looked that up. You are in violation of EMT-B reply rules. They specifically state that only Bnechis is allowed to look things up. The rest of us are required to wing it.

PS I forgot to mention in my last post that since I was born in the USA, I am a Native American. Chances are most of you guys are too.

of course he did thats why they named a city in Ohio after him :rolleyes:

of course he did thats why they named a city in Ohio after him :rolleyes:

That's only because they couldn't spell Bjarni Herjólfsson

C'mon, now, I bet you looked that up. You are in violation of EMT-B reply rules. They specifically state that only Bnechis is allowed to look things up. The rest of us are required to wing it.

Way to much of that stuff is stuck in my head...no need to wing it. LOL :lol:

I'm so confused.... why would anyone want to celebrate a day for the Patriots?!

PS I forgot to mention in my last post that since I was born in the USA, I am a Native American. Chances are most of you guys are too.

of course he did thats why they named a city in Ohio after him

There's a city in Ohio named after Barry Nechis? :blink:

Haha!!! :lol: I actually remembered and got it out of my history class notes from two years ago, so yeah, maybe most of it didn't come out of my memory. I just looked up to see if I spelled his name right!!!

Edited by sfrd18

That's only because they couldn't spell Bjarni Herjólfsson

Haha!!! :lol: Imagine if the capitol of Ohio was Bjarni Herjólfsson, or just Herjólfsson!!! :lol:

Edited by sfrd18

Bjarni Herjólfsson

1969 Mets shortstop.......and I didn't have to look it up either.

(oh wait that was Bud Harrelson)

Actually the Irish pre-date everyone in finding what is ow called North America along with the Vikings. The History Channel had a great special on the finding of America. The Irish and Vikings were here long before the first peoples crossed over the land bridge connecting Siberia and Alaska. Archeologist have been discovering a lot of settlement remains in Groton, CT area and other areas from Nova Scotia and New England that is supporting this theory.

As for Native American Day, yes there is such a celebration, however it is usually only celebrated and recognized by the Tribal Nations. The tribe that work for (Mashantucket Pequots) celebrate their holiday around Thanksgiving now, as it usde to be sometime in August. There was / is no set date to the holiday to my knowledge.

As for Patriot Day, I think as a country we should celebrate it like Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (yes that is RI's proper name). We tend to forget about the establishment of this country and the Revolutionary War. Heck people tend to forget the Memorial Day was created to honor all the Civil War veterans, originally known as Decoration Day.

efdcapt115 likes this

Archeologist have been discovering a lot of settlement remains in Groton, CT area and other areas from Nova Scotia and New England that is supporting this theory.

Let me guess: Guiness labelled pottery?

Let me guess: Guiness labelled pottery?

No, the deed to rent Southie by Arthur Guinness' 10 times great grand father from Sasquatch. Unfortunately the deed was only for 9 years instead of 999 years. :)