Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x1243

Shooting in Thornwood

81 posts in this topic

My heart goes out to the officers involved. It is very tough for me to read the comments from the public in general in fourms. The officers involved in 2 shootings in the past week in Westchester were presented with situations that immediatly threatened their lives and others. In the end both acted quickly and decisivly and have their lives because of it. It is unfortunate that there appears to be a large section of the public that just dosen't get it.

efdcapt115 likes this

I'm sorry all, my post seemingly wasn't interpreted as I originally meant. I'm not anti-cop, these men made a choice and again, there is nothing that I've read thus far that makes me believe they make the wrong choice. This is going to effect them for years to come, and I hope the best for them and their families

Sometimes the public can be so stuiped..... The Last thing that Officer wants to do is Draw his Firearm and use it!!!!!! That is not something they wake up in the morning or night and look forward to doing. That officer is going to live with that the rest of his life. Not a pleasant feeling but unfortunately part of the job...

Its America unfotunately opionins are like _________ everyone has one.....

I don't care if you're the President of a University, a football player, a nuclear physicist, or a nun; you use your vehicle as a weapon and try to run down a police officer, a firefighters, or an emt, you should be stopped by any means necessary, including deadly force before you kill somebody. Too bad this football player didn't understand that driving with a cop on the hood of your car is reason enough to be stopped with deadly force.

I think the story is that even thought your a star football player and maybe in school alot of stuff slides like getting people to take your tests and maybe being given extra time for things, your not above the law and your going to be shot if you try to kill a cop with your car. Didn't this kid hear what happened down in the Bronx with the guy who was fighting with the cop? Ya you attack a cop and you will get a beating or shot. :rolleyes:

As I watch the news there is such a massive gap from what the "witnesses" reported and what has been reported by police. And considering that it happened IFO a bar chances are that said witnesses would have been intoxicated; so ill just take that at face value.

I love how one of the stupid college girls who was interviewed (age 20) states that " when i walked out of the bar there was a cop shooting at our friend" first of b**** your 20 what the hell are you doing in a bar........... second you were probably drunk.

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE

Pace University football player Danroy "D.J." Henry was legally drunk, with a .13 blood alcohol level, when he was shot dead by police while driving through a parking lot early Sunday, a law enforcement source told The Journal News this afternoon.

A couple witnesses who were with him that night have said the 20-year-old was the designated driver at the time and had not been drinking. The blood alcohol results from the Westchester Medical Examiner's Office, which conducted the autopsy, contradicts that claim. The legal limit for blood alcohol content when driving in New York is .08.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20101022/NEWS02/10220381/Police-chief--Aid-rendered-to-wounded-Pace-students-in-3-minutes--students--lawyer-repeats-brutality-allegations

SRS131EMTFF likes this

Is anyone surprised?

Commmmmmonnnnnnnnnnn...he was the DD, no one saw him drink. Interesting to see how this will affect the investigation.

Not surprised at all. At this point it seems that the "witness" accounts reported are more lies and half truths than actual reality.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Commmmmmonnnnnnnnnnn...he was the DD, no one saw him drink. Interesting to see how this will affect the investigation.

I stand corrected! Must be a false tox report...HA laugh.gif

Not surprised at all. At this point it seems that the "witness" accounts reported are more lies and half truths than actual reality.

Now let me get this straight, the witnesses are at a bar (many underage) some fighting and they are all sober, so why are the accounts lies & half truths?

Now let me get this straight, the witnesses are at a bar (many underage) some fighting and they are all sober, so why are the accounts lies & half truths?

Who said they were sober?

They must be, because the legal age is 21 and we all know no one ever drinks illegally....

Select one:

1) Bingo

2) They must be sober, because they are under 21 and there info is 100% acurate (according to them and the NYC politicos that spoke at the press conference) the dash cams and other video is wrong and they must be correct (do you know how hard being sarcastic on here).

I found it interesting how some NYC Council members showed up at the news conference and talked about this will never happen again because they have past a law requiring NYPD to have annual CPR training.

x1243 likes this

Pace University should hold a vigil for the real victims in this tragedy, and that would be the sworn officers who were almost killed while performing their duties by what turns out to be a legally drunk "designated" driver .

So much for looking out for your friends to drive them home safely, by abstaining.

Pace University should hold a vigil for the real victims in this tragedy, and that would be the sworn officers who were almost killed while performing their duties by what turns out to be a legally drunk "designated" driver .

So much for looking out for your friends to drive them home safely, by abstaining.

AMEN!!!!

According to the ME, Henry wasn't drunk. Yeah he was under age, but can we be realistic, underage drinking is everywhere. I sure as hell did it, along with almost every cop, firefighter, EMT and medic I've known. Driving under the influence, holy crap thats absolutely pandemic in our jobs. Lets run a DWI checkpoint outside any christmas party and see the field day the Post has with it.

The guy who did this had no criminal history, liked by coaches at all his schools, and many of his friends. We're shocked and angered that people are defending him? He may actually have been a good guy and none of these people know the officers involved. Anyone watch the video? How favorable of an impression does it leave on witnesses to have Henry lay in the street bleeding while the officers look on and a couple others chase them off with their guns drawn? I'm not criticizing the officers, just trying to understand how I would feel if I was there.

How many of us have jumped to defend on of our own before the facts were in only to find we put our foot in our mouth? Is it that impossible to believe he was startled by an officer with a gun knocking on his window, panicked and ACCIDENTALLY nearly killed an officer resulting in him getting shot. I know Officer Hess. He is a great guy and in my opinion one of the best officers in the dept. One of the last guys you would even expect to see involved in something like this.

The papers are despicable, and absolutely sensationalizing this. The witnesses have all been tainted by the media hoopla and I hope the investigators are able to get to the bottom of this mess. In the end, a family lost their child and an officer has to make peace with a decision made in the most stressful and impossible conditions. Everyone loses.

According to the ME, Henry wasn't drunk. Yeah he was under age, but can we be realistic, underage drinking is everywhere. I sure as hell did it, along with almost every cop, firefighter, EMT and medic I've known. Driving under the influence, holy crap thats absolutely pandemic in our jobs. Lets run a DWI checkpoint outside any christmas party and see the field day the Post has with it.

The guy who did this had no criminal history, liked by coaches at all his schools, and many of his friends. We're shocked and angered that people are defending him? He may actually have been a good guy and none of these people know the officers involved. Anyone watch the video? How favorable of an impression does it leave on witnesses to have Henry lay in the street bleeding while the officers look on and a couple others chase them off with their guns drawn? I'm not criticizing the officers, just trying to understand how I would feel if I was there.

How many of us have jumped to defend on of our own before the facts were in only to find we put our foot in our mouth? Is it that impossible to believe he was startled by an officer with a gun knocking on his window, panicked and ACCIDENTALLY nearly killed an officer resulting in him getting shot. I know Officer Hess. He is a great guy and in my opinion one of the best officers in the dept. One of the last guys you would even expect to see involved in something like this.

The papers are despicable, and absolutely sensationalizing this. The witnesses have all been tainted by the media hoopla and I hope the investigators are able to get to the bottom of this mess. In the end, a family lost their child and an officer has to make peace with a decision made in the most stressful and impossible conditions. Everyone loses.

Well said NY10570. But didn't the ME say he was a .13? Or am I missing something?

I am not sure where you are getting some of your information from but the Westchester Medical Examiners Officer is reporting the victim had a BAC at the time of his death of 0.13.

When a cop says "STOP OR Freeze" You do!!! I would. Case closed.

that says it all

I saw the video and it's obvious the officers are out numbered by drunkin college students failing to comply with their orders. They have just had to shoot the driver of a car attempting to kill them because he was probably worried about getting a DWI. I would spend more time thinking about how the officers viewed the situation and in that light their actions appear completly in line with the situation(s) they were confronted with.

efdcapt115 likes this

I saw the video and it's obvious the officers are out numbered by drunkin college students failing to comply with their orders. They have just had to shoot the driver of a car attempting to kill them because he was probably worried about getting a DWI. I would spend more time thinking about how the officers viewed the situation and in that light their actions appear completly in line with the situation(s) they were confronted with.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm just waiting for the investigation to confirm this, but it's hard to keep an open mind on this when half of the story is coming from "sober" witnesses that keep changing their story. It is a horrible tragedy regardless of how it happened, but you got to think of the people that the driver might have killed if he had gotten away.

And the EMS response...15-20 mins, then 12-15mins, then the cops didn't treat him fast enough or the medic didn't go to him first...RIDICULOUS. No cop would want a person they just shot to die. The response time was great considering the time of night and area (in my opinion). And I won't speak for the medic...but this was an MCI, so if the medic took five seconds to ask the first person he/she saw if he had any bulletholes in him...I would not fault the medic at all. Despite the loss of life, it seems like a job well done by the EMS agencies in handling this situation.

Next play in the lawyer playbook: Blame the M.E. for false test results. Even though that did not work last time in this town...

Exactly my thoughts. I'm just waiting for the investigation to confirm this, but it's hard to keep an open mind on this when half of the story is coming from "sober" witnesses that keep changing their story. It is a horrible tragedy regardless of how it happened, but you got to think of the people that the driver might have killed if he had gotten away.

And the EMS response...15-20 mins, then 12-15mins, then the cops didn't treat him fast enough or the medic didn't go to him first...RIDICULOUS. No cop would want a person they just shot to die. The response time was great considering the time of night and area (in my opinion). And I won't speak for the medic...but this was an MCI, so if the medic took five seconds to ask the first person he/she saw if he had any bulletholes in him...I would not fault the medic at all. Despite the loss of life, it seems like a job well done by the EMS agencies in handling this situation.

Next play in the lawyer playbook: Blame the M.E. for false test results. Even though that did not work last time in this town...

As a Officer with the EMS agency that handled the incident, I wanted to thank you for your kind words. And I agree, it is just a matter of time before the M.E. is blamed for false test results...that is how desperation/humiliation works.

So the legal alchohol limit in this state is .08%. The perps postmortum blood work shows .13%. He's intoxicated, period.

So the bottom line is, it's highly likely the guy had a few, thought he could drive and got spooked when PD approached his car. If I remember from college, the jocks are on a short leash outside of campus and any sort of run in with the law can lead to NCAA repercussions. Made a really dumb decision by tryin to run and an even dumber decision by not stopping when asked. Sadly, his poor decision making cost him his life.

Yeah, it would be nice to show our support for our law enforcement officers whose lives were on the line, big time, in that situation!

What is being done for them?

A balloon "release" at the County center, for the "victim?" OMG.

Edited by tunaFish

I am not sure where you are getting some of your information from but the Westchester Medical Examiners Officer is reporting the victim had a BAC at the time of his death of 0.13.

Sorry, I was going from a poorly copied Journal news clip that seemed like The ME's office was disputing the unnamed LE source that leaked the results.

Minority cops group demands 'integrity' in probe of Pace student's fatal shooting by police

LoHud, Oct 22, 2010

By Jorge Fitz-Gibbon

The Westchester chapter of the National Black Police Association called Thursday for a "transparent, complete, objective and methodical investigation" into the shooting death of Pace University student Danroy "D.J." Henry.

The association said it would contact the U.S. Department of Justice "to ensure that this investigation is an investigation of integrity," referring to a probe led by Mount Pleasant police into Henry's death Sunday after he was shot by police officers.

So much for Brotherhood, eh? What a crock, these guys are LITERALLY insulting the local PD's by saying the NYSP, FBI or (and I quote) "an independent agency with integrity" come in to do the investigation. What a slap in the face to these cops. Of course an outside agency should be doing the investigation, but that bit about integrity is just wrong.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery to the Officers involved, you guys did good work, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.