Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Fire Hydrants and snow covering them

4 posts in this topic

Some of us good citizens dig them out after some snow storms and some people just don't.

When new ones are installed, why not make them much higher for better visability? And wouldn't this make it easier instead of bending down when installing fire hose???

Stay warm

Dr. Zuki

Nope.....at that height for leverage, and safety (wouln't want it at head level)

Some departments uses tall signs or flags or street markings for better placement identification

The best thing to do is to put the tag things on them.

I would like to say Thank you to all the nice citizen that dug out the fire hydrants.

In my district, Buchanan, the highway department uses large maltese cross stencils with arrows to point to the location of a hydrant. They use the stencils with highly reflective blue road paint and paint them in the middle of the street. These are nice, however when the roads are snow covered, they are close to useless. Even after the roads are plowed, it is very hard to make out the markings. In the past we have tried to get those "flags" that come off the top of the hydrant, but i believe that it came down to the never-ending money issue. I believe these "flags" that are used in many districts are probably the best way of marking a hydrant to be visible during any conditions.