Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Eastchester FD Rescue 5

38 posts in this topic

Awesome looking truck. How long was it in service?

Great shot, Thats a White WC-22 "Super Mustang" made from 1946 till 1956. Capt do you know year Rescue 5 was? Also thats a Approved body out of Long Island City, same as THE 1948 Mack L Rescue 1 out of FDNY.

Great shot, Thats a White WC-22 "Super Mustang" made from 1946 till 1956. Capt do you know year Rescue 5 was? Also thats a Approved body out of Long Island City, same as THE 1948 Mack L Rescue 1 out of FDNY.

Angelo,

That is super great information, thank you so much for sharing your extensive apparatus knowledge! I don't know the year it was built. Eddie maybe, or Ibo want to help us out here?

I don't know the year, but I believe the Specs were the same as FDNY's rescue. I believe EFD saw FDNY's and said "Gimme one of them"

Here's a bit of history: My father and R-5 responded to the USS Constellation fire at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. SCBA were just coming into use at the time and I believe the Mutual Aid request was for SCBA's. Westchester rounded up all available Scotts (in their suitcases, of course) and sent them to Bklyn on R-5.

efdcapt115 and x635 like this

I don't know the year, but I believe the Specs were the same as FDNY's rescue. I believe EFD saw FDNY's and said "Gimme one of them"

Chief White did the same thing with the Halligan Tool. There's an old letter from Hugh Halligan saying basically "thanks for buying one" somewhere at HQ.

Was this White replaced by the Brockway rescue or was there something in between?

Was this White replaced by the Brockway rescue or was there something in between?

Yes the Brockway came next, and that was the last Rescue 5 before the company was decommissioned.

Yes the Brockway came next, and that was the last Rescue 5 before the company was decommissioned.

What was the Ford Vanett [bread truck] that came to Port Chester on Mutual aid for the RB&W fire in 1973. I thought that was Rescue 5 at the time or was that Patrol 5 ?

Edited by PCFD ENG58

Here's a bit of history: My father and R-5 responded to the USS Constellation fire at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. SCBA were just coming into use at the time and I believe the Mutual Aid request was for SCBA's. Westchester rounded up all available Scotts (in their suitcases, of course) and sent them to Bklyn on R-5.

Patrol 4 [1948 Ward LaFrance] Port Chester also made that trip with all Scott air packs that we could spare for that fire!

What was the Ford Vanett [bread truck] that came to Port Chester on Mutual aid for the RB&W fire in 1973. I thought that was Rescue 5 at the time or was that Patrol 5 ?

That was the Fire Patrol Company.

Any other old EFD photo's please post

Thank you

Yeah George, that's a Great Picture. Any more ?

Here in Norwich, Ct we bought a 1942 American LaFrance from the New Rochelle Fire Dept. That was one big tank. It was our spare ladder when I went on the job in 1975. We called it "The Weaver Street Special" because it served in the New Rochelle Firehouse on Weaver St, and the city only paid $5,000.00 for it.

I know there's a picture of it somewhere on here.

Here in Norwich, Ct we bought a 1942 American LaFrance from the New Rochelle Fire Dept. That was one big tank. It was our spare ladder when I went on the job in 1975. We called it "The Weaver Street Special" because it served in the New Rochelle Firehouse on Weaver St, and the city only paid $5,000.00 for it.

was there ever a firehouse on weaver st in new roc???, i know town of mamaroneck's house is on weaver st.

was there ever a firehouse on weaver st in new roc???, i know town of mamaroneck's house is on weaver st.

NRFD never had a house on Weaver. TMFD does.

Hi Willy,

I personally don't have any more old time photos. The Rescue photo was sent to me in e-mail by "KBR359" one of the senior guys on my job, who is getting ready to retire soon. His dad was on the job as well; a war hero, fireman, captain, from "the greatest generation." He also collected all kinds of photos and memorabilia from the FD, so I'd ask "KBR359" if he has any more photos if he could either e-mail them or post them himself, we'd all love to see them. :)

I think that now we are the only Fire Department in New York State WITHOUT a RESCUE. I guess that I come from the old school of Firefighting.

Now all our rigs are busting at the seams in every compartment with all of our equipment that we have to carry. Go figure!!

efdcapt115 likes this

Hi Willy,

I personally don't have any more old time photos. The Rescue photo was sent to me in e-mail by "KBR359" one of the senior guys on my job, who is getting ready to retire soon. His dad was on the job as well; a war hero, fireman, captain, from "the greatest generation." He also collected all kinds of photos and memorabilia from the FD, so I'd ask "KBR359" if he has any more photos if he could either e-mail them or post them himself, we'd all love to see them. :)

Me too, Cap...me too?

post-1341-093092300 1288744044.jpg

I think that now we are the only Fire Department in New York State WITHOUT a RESCUE.....Now all our rigs are busting at the seams in every compartment with all of our equipment that we have to carry. Go figure!!

Owning a rescue and staffing a rescue company are two very different issues. staffing with one or two firefighters is not a rescue company. There are only a handfull of Fire Departments in New York State that have properly staffed, trainined and equipped Rescue Companies (24/7/365). And with the looming cuts its unlikely we will see more anytime soon (unless consolidation is considered).

From the Iamonico family collection: thanks for sharing Joey!

post-1020-038034400 1288743806.jpg

1974/5? Brockway 361 with a 671 Detroit Diesel/ 643 Allison transmisson Saulsbury body. a real workhorse!

Edited by PCFD ENG58
efdcapt115 likes this

From the Iamonico family collection: thanks for sharing Joey!

post-1020-038034400 1288743806.jpg

When i was younger, my father lived on Leewood Circle and we had a patio that faced Rt. 22 and many of times I would hear that siren coming and I would go on the patio and see rescue 5 going north on Rt. 22, yes I was and still am a buff

that thing was a beast, you could hear it coming from a long ways away and id always rush out of leewood circle to watch it go by. that and ladder 17 of course :) i still hear stories of that rescue from my father ,grandfather, and uncle.

You got photos and you holdin' out on us Chief? :D

No, George, I have almost nothing of EFD.

Absolutely, that Brockway was indeed a "BEAST". I remember seeing that rig responding to an alarm coming out of the Bronxville Fire House driving up Midland Avenue towards Eastchester, with that engine pounding out a sound like no one has heard before and that Air Horn and Siren added to it made it "Very Noticable". Sad to see that budget cuts caused the Rescue to go "Bye Bye" (Also fondly remember its predessor, the rig with that big "EMERGENCY" sign on the front face of the body of that rig)

that thing was a beast, you could hear it coming from a long ways away and id always rush out of leewood circle to watch it go by. that and ladder 17 of course :) i still hear stories of that rescue from my father ,grandfather, and uncle.