Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Eastchester Fire Department

21 posts in this topic

Thanks George for posting these Great "Blast from the Past" Photos from the Eastchester, N.Y. Fire Dept. First question, "Are you in any of the Photos" ? I think we both go back a few years.

Another question I had was the "numbering system" for the Eastchester Fire Dept. I noticed Number 27 on one of the rigs. Are Eastchester rigs in the 20's series ?

Thanks George for posting these Great "Blast from the Past" Photos from the Eastchester, N.Y. Fire Dept. First question, "Are you in any of the Photos" ? I think we both go back a few years.

Another question I had was the "numbering system" for the Eastchester Fire Dept. I noticed Number 27 on one of the rigs. Are Eastchester rigs in the 20's series ?

Willy,

The four engines are 27,29,30,31 (reserve 28)

The two trucks are 16,17 (reserve 15)

I was assigned to E-27 company's '86 Mack (last pic)

and occasionally did vacation relief on the Seagrave ladder 16,

and the Brockway Rescue.

Some of the guys in the photos have passed on,

the rest are over 60 now,

I've got a ways to go, if I ever get there! :rolleyes:

Have a good one bro.

Thanks George, I appreciate that info on the Eastchester F.D. numbering system.

JP59 likes this

Don't forget Engine 32 lol. 32 was the spare when 28 was the engine in Tuckahoe.

post-1020-079602800 1288744503.jpg

EFD - nice pictures... question, this Mack looks like it " just " fits into the firehouse, what was the head room clear ??

Willy,

The four engines are 27,29,30,31 (reserve 28)

The two trucks are 16,17 (reserve 15)

I was assigned to E-27 company's '86 Mack (last pic)

and occasionally did vacation relief on the Seagrave ladder 16,

and the Brockway Rescue.

Some of the guys in the photos have passed on,

the rest are over 60 now,

I've got a ways to go, if I ever get there! :rolleyes:

Have a good one bro.

HEY HEY HEY there, Cap! I'm over 60.

Does EMT-B have a complaint protocol for age discrimination?

efdcapt115 likes this

HEY HEY HEY there, Cap! I'm over 60.

Does EMT-B have a complaint protocol for age discrimination?

Only if you are completely original and haven't gone through a refurbishing!!! LOL!

:D

3 questions i have about the efd

1. do they brown out companies, my cousin and his wife live a few minutes from the tuckahoe station on underhill. I always walk by it on the way to their house it just seem that at times there is no one there. Ive never knock on firehouse doors but just the way the station seems.

2. What other unit was at the underhill station i used to see the reserve engine,but now i havent seen it in a while. I know its a 2 bay station and on one of the bays it says eclipse hose company.

3. What is staffing on the rigs. I know ive seen 2 guys on Ladder 16

Edited by Anesti

3 questions i have about the efd

1. do they brown out companies, my cousin and his wife live a few minutes from the tuckahoe station on underhill. I always walk by it on the way to their house it just seem that at times there is no one there. Ive never knock on firehouse doors but just the way the station seems.

2. What other unit was at the underhill station i used to see the reserve engine,but now i havent seen it in a while. I know its a 2 bay station and on one of the bays it says eclipse hose company.

3. What is staffing on the rigs. I know ive seen 2 guys on Ladder 16

The Tuckahoe firehouse holds Engine 28 and Ladder 16. The staffing, like many Westchester departments, was minimal, 1 firefighter per rig for many decades, plus the volunteer members who would respond in their POVs. A consultants report done in the 1990's recommended closing Engine 28, replacing the Seagrave Aerial with a Seagrave Quint, and moving the Engine 28 firefighter onto Ladder 16; 2 members on a rig is better than 1. All of this was done.

Subsequently, 2 Lieutenant positions were established, one on Ladder 16, one on Ladder 17.

Most days Ladder 16 will be at Headquarters or out training.

The career staffing for the department now is a minimum of 8 engine personnel, 4 truck, a command car with a Captain and his aide, the AC and Chief. Without vacation days this will increase by 3, bringing the daily squad to 17 per shift, plus the two chiefs.

Nice pics George I rember posing on the ramp at station 2 J.S.

Welcome aboard Chief!

EFD - nice pictures... question, this Mack looks like it " just " fits into the firehouse, what was the head room clear ??

Like many firehouses, Station One's apparatus door was widened when they started placing Mack engines in service in place of the ALFs before them. The bay door at Station One used to be an archway. The Mack CF that was Engine 27's rig for many years was as tall as this Mack, and they both fit with a few inches to spare.

The Tuckahoe firehouse holds Engine 28 and Ladder 16. The staffing, like many Westchester departments, was minimal, 1 firefighter per rig for many decades, plus the volunteer members who would respond in their POVs. A consultants report done in the 1990's recommended closing Engine 28, replacing the Seagrave Aerial with a Seagrave Quint, and moving the Engine 28 firefighter onto Ladder 16; 2 members on a rig is better than 1. All of this was done.

Subsequently, 2 Lieutenant positions were established, one on Ladder 16, one on Ladder 17.

Most days Ladder 16 will be at Headquarters or out training.

The career staffing for the department now is a minimum of 8 engine personnel, 4 truck, a command car with a Captain and his aide, the AC and Chief. Without vacation days this will increase by 3, bringing the daily squad to 17 per shift, plus the two chiefs.

oh ok thanx,are the volunteers around today??