Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Camden NJ to lay off half the PD

14 posts in this topic

Yep. the second most dangerous city in America:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/22/most-dangerous-cities-in-_n_787010.html#s188467

plans on laying off 1/4 of all municipal employees, including 1/2 the police department.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Jerseys-Most-Violent-City-Approves-Layoffs-for-1-in-4-City-Workers-111260439.html

The layoffs are to be effective Jan. 18. The state Civil Service Commission has already approved them.

So, what economist was it that said the other day that the "recession is over"????

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/22/most-dangerous-cities-in-_n_787010.html#s188467

plans on laying off 1/4 of all municipal employees, including 1/2 the police department.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Jerseys-Most-Violent-City-Approves-Layoffs-for-1-in-4-City-Workers-111260439.html

So, what economist was it that said the other day that the "recession is over"????

The NJ Gov might as well put the NJ National Guard on standby now. Camden will possibly self destruct once it is known that CPD is only 1/2 a PD.

efdcapt115 likes this

Camden has been in a horrible state for 50 years now,there is no tax revenue,no jobs,a very poor population good recession or bad recession wouldnt have meant a difference.

good recession or bad recession wouldnt have meant a difference.

what?

This is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Just wait until the Feds come in to collect their $271 MILLION bill, plus interest and penalties for the Federal Transportation Administration Hudson rail tunnel project Governor Christie scrapped last month!

Swooosh!

Insanity has taken over government.

what?

What i was trying to say is im not agreeing with the layoff part its stupid of any government to layoff cops especially a city like Camden.Im making a refrence to the op where efd said "didnt some financial expert say the recession is over". Now it might be or might not be depends on how you looks at it, i now all of us are not out of the woods yet. But in camden there is no revenue coming from anywhere whether in taxes,or property,etc. So whether the economy is booming or not Camden will still be in this situation unfortunately.

Insanity has taken over government.

That's for sure. It is a derelict city that can collect little or no property tax and no one is buying goods and services there so sales tax probably isn't flowing either.

The one money stream that I guarantee is flowing is the government assistance checks to the ne're-do-wells that continue to suck out what ever life is left in that place.

Police Force Nearly Halved, Camden Feels Impact

by Joseph Goldstein

March 6th, 2011

CAMDEN, N.J. — Since the city laid off nearly half its police force in January, the mayor and police chief have tried to stay positive, with the police chief even suggesting that his leaner force will be a model for others facing similar circumstances.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/07/nyregion/07camden.html

Edited by Alpinerunner

Pathetic is all that comes to mind. When the chief says " we need a libya - type movement by the citizens to take back the streets " REALLY BRO ? Thats just nonsense.

When people are preparing to be mugged, something's wrong. When a city of only 80,000 is happy that they have less than 40 murders in a year, that sad.

I feel for the brothers and sisters of the camden PD, i can't blame them for taking their time getting to jobs and not doing a bit of proactive police work... in a one man car with insufficient staffing, it's not safe.

I know most municipalities are in a crunch but laying off half the PD is insanity.

MOS moral in camden is the worst ever. Even guys who live, eat, and sleep the fire service are calling the job "BS" now....I really feel for them.

What bothers me is that CamdenFD will now have to rely on Mutual Aid to cover their BASIC responses. To me that is completely wrong. Mutual aid is to be used when all your available rescources are committed to a major fire/other emergency. You should not expect oher municipalities to cover your a** because of bad financial/governmental decisions. I live outside of Chicago, when we recentally got 23 inches of snow the surrounding towns did not plow my streets/alleys. If the town next to me lays off 40% of the FF force my town would have to cover their vacant houses. So now my house catches on fire but my first due engine/truck is covering the nearby town and I lose my house. Does that make sense? Wanna save money, take your daughter, wife, mistress off the payroll. :angry:

What bothers me is that CamdenFD will now have to rely on Mutual Aid to cover their BASIC responses. To me that is completely wrong. Mutual aid is to be used when all your available rescources are committed to a major fire/other emergency. You should not expect oher municipalities to cover your a** because of bad financial/governmental decisions. I live outside of Chicago, when we recentally got 23 inches of snow the surrounding towns did not plow my streets/alleys. If the town next to me lays off 40% of the FF force my town would have to cover their vacant houses. So now my house catches on fire but my first due engine/truck is covering the nearby town and I lose my house. Does that make sense? Wanna save money, take your daughter, wife, mistress off the payroll. :angry:

Half the FD is already gone and now the PD is getting the slash and burn method of municipal economics. The city will not be able to cover it's own work so it will not be able to provide services to other communities on a mutual basis so they're going to push the cost fo their services out to other communities. OR the state police will have to take over policiing in Camden and people statewide will have to support the failure of the city to do it's own job.

No matter what your politics, party, ideology, this is a recipe for disaster.

dadbo46 likes this