25 posts in this topic

REST IN PEACE

Dawn P. Maldonado

June 1, 1943 - December 25, 2010

Peekskill Community Volunteer

Ambulance Corps

"7525"

More Information Will Follow

Dawn was one of the tigers of EMS. She was dedicated, a tireless worker, and always there when she was needed. Long after weaker souls might have stopped, she made EMS a part of her life and EMS was richer for it. It was an honor to have worked beside her.

Thank you, Dawn.

May she rest in peace. Thoughts and prayers to her coworkers and family. Tough time of year to lose somebody.

My thoughts and prayers are with both Dawn's immediate family and her extended family at PCVAC. She will be deeply missed.

post-957-0-13451300-1293395123.jpg

Another tragic loss for the EMS community in our area. Dawn was tireless in her support and advocacy of the Peekskill VAC. She and her efforts will be sorely missed.

RIP

Rest in peace..

Rest In Peace Dawn. Bless you for all the people you helped in the years of sevice to Peekskill.

god bless 7525 she was a great person. i' ve had the pleasure of being an attendant for dawn many of times when i was riding with peekskill vac, she was very compationate about the patients she had in the back of the ambulace. when i was there in the short time dawn celebrated 40 years of service. she was also one of the charter members of the orginazation. god bless you dawn u will be missed!!!! thoughts and prayers with her family and friends.

I am deeply saddened tonight to learn of the passing of Dawn.

My earliest rememberances of Dawn go back to 1966 when I joined PCVAC. Dawn had joined a year earlier, shortly after PCVAC was organized. When I joined, Dawn was in charge of Roster. At that time, we tried to have a duty crew, 24/7 and Dawn spent a lot of time every day, on the phone making sure the shifts were filled. Because of my work schedule (evenings at WLNA Radio) I was called often by Dawn to fill open daytime shifts, in addition to my regularly scheduled shifts.

Over the years, when I served as Treasurer and later as President and Board Chairman, Dawn was always there, serving in some capacity in addition to being an active EMT. After moving to Connecticut in 1985, I had only infrequent contact with PCVAC, but a few years ago, I was in Peekskill for a few hours and I stopped at PCVAC HQ on Main Street and guess who was there....Dawn. I spent a couple of hours chatting with her about the old days and about how the corps has grown. Since then I have stayed in contact with her via facebook.

Her record of 45 years of service to PCVAC is nothing short of amazing. I am sure it is a record that will never be matched. Today it is almost impossible to find people with Dawn's volunteer spirit. I am sure she is in heaven with "Ma" Wessells and all of the other PCVAC oldtimers who have passed on.

God Bless You, Dawn.

helicopper likes this

There are always certain people in your life that it always hits you strongly when their time on this earth has come to an end and for me Dawn is one of those persons. I played little league with Dawn's daughter many moons ago and from there served with Dawn for several years as a member of Peekskill VAC and have some of the fondest memories of her and time spent in the dayroom and kitchen just having a good time and laughing non stop with the great fellow members I spend time with there. She was a fixture to the EMS community in the area and served in numerous capacities within in the organization and had a fierce dedication to the community, her patients and what she thought was the right thing to do when it came to Peekskill VAC on an organization level. If there is one thing I know...she wsa brave and just as fierce dealing with her medical problems over the past several years and still was on the road doing what she did for 40+ years and I know now she is in a much better place. Rest in Peace Dawn and thank you for the wonderful memories.

helicopper likes this

Dawn was just a good person. That's how I'd describe her. She'd do anything for you, she was thoughtful, caring and kind. But, most of all dedicated to serving the community....her community even as she battled through her medical issues, a warrior if you will. I will miss her. She is resting now in a better place. Thank you Dawn.

Dawn taught me my first CPR class shortly after I joined PCVAC back in late 1991. Chucky Booth was one of the other students in the class with me (I think we may have been the only two in fact). Her spirit will always live on in that corp. RIP Dawn.

As a member, chairman, and captain of the Mohegan Volunteer Fire Association ambulance operation,I first met Dawn in the 1960's. Dawn was a sparkplug in the PCVAC as a dedicated volunteer in administration, training instructor, and mentor. I feel privileged to have known and worked with her through our parallel memberships in our respective vacs.

My condolences to Dawn's family and the officers and members of the PCVAC.

Dawn, will be missed. She is a very special person to me, I have known Dawn since i was 14 years old i joined the ambulance corp to keep me out of trouble. Dawn was my second mother she kept me on the right road and steered me in the right direction. Dawn was the BACKBONE of P.C.V.A.C. The Corps will not be the same without you. When DAWN was right she stuck to her word and did everything to prove she was right. I will miss Dawn has been a great person to ME and the AMBULANCE CORPS. R.I.P. 12-25-10. You may now start your new life up above.

A MEMORIAL MASS IS BEING HELD AT THE ASSUMPTION CHURCH ON FIRST ST. IN PEEKSKILL ON THURSDAY DECEMBER 30 AT 10 AM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING.

RIP Dawn. Condolences to her family and her extended family at the VAC.

Joe Tomaso

I knew Dawn through several encounters in the community of Peekskill. She was a very driven woman when it came to PCVAC. My deepest sympathies and condolences to PCVAC crews and officers. RIP Dawn Maldonado.

Rest in peace Dawn. You will be greatly missed.

Dawn P. Maldonado passed away on December 25, 2010. Dawn was born June 1, 1943 to Albertino and Joyce (Dyckman) DeSilva in Peekskill, NY. Dawn graduated from Hendrick Hudson High School and the Mandl School in NYC. She worked at the Montrose VA, retiring in 2005.

Dawn was a member of the Peekskill Community Volunteer Ambulance Corps for 45 years, was a certified EMT and was the President of the PCVAC. Dawn was dedicated to the corps and serving the community. She ran the youth group, and served as Vice President and Recording Secretary. It was a very important part of her life and she loved it.

She is survived by her daughter, Maria Ingersoll of Albany, NY, her brother, Albertino DeSilva (Kathryn) of Buchanan, NY and her niece and two nephews.

A memorial will be held Wednesday, December 29, 7-9 pm at Cortlandt Funeral Home, Verplanck.

Funeral Mass, Thursday, December 30, 10 am at Assumption Church, Peekskill.

Private burial at a later date.

In lieu of flowers please donate to the School of the Assumption Church, Peekskill.

Credit:

http://www.nyjnews.com/obits/Obit1.php?pid=3125362

Rest In Peace. My condolences to her family and friends.

REMINDER!

WAKE IS TONIGHT 7PM - 9PM

Cortlandt Funeral Home

97 Broadway Ave.

Verplanck, NY 10596