Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dinosaur

Titles for Life?

38 posts in this topic

We start out as firefighters, so if you remember where you came from this will be a good start (which is a lost art with the new generations). What you need is the people who you led, to ask you questions at drills and at monday night rig checks and on the fireground, that would be the respect you might want, not because your shirt, coat or hat say " ex " on it . If you did a good job as an officer the respect will be there you shouldn't need a patch to tell everyone what you did, they know. Actions speak louder than words. I see people in the volunteer service act like they have 20 years in when they only have 2-3 years in, it is kind of silly. Being an Ex probie is a good start just dont let it go to your head .

An other interesting thing that a department near me does for their ex- chiefs, is that they take their gold leaf shields from when they were a chief and put them on their regular black helmets once their reign has ended.

In our dept, several ex-chief's or past chiefs play an important role both in front and behind the scenes. Yes, we are called upon to be the IC's in the absence of senior officers. We are an extra set of eyes and ears on the FG and give valuable insight to the IC. We act as safety officers [thats me]. We think about things that junior officers dont and we can make suggestions to them .

Thats what ICS Vests are for. If their are 3 EX-Chiefs on scene working with command and all 3 say Ex on there coats, no one knows who is doing what.

We become advisors to the current chiefs on town politics, how to budget, sit on committees that may have a big impact on the dept, help with training and mentor newer officers.

And EX-Chief is needed on turnout gear for these meetings?

And when it hits the fan, your the one the young LT or new Capt looks for for help at a job or the typical bells and smells. It's good when they can easily find you. If you are all geared up, can you actually see a persons face and know who it is?

The young Lt or new Capt need to LEAD the company. If they can see EX-Chief on the back of a turnout coat, they are still following and not leading.

helicopper and antiquefirelt like this

I don't think it has to do with respect as much as with fireground experience. My town's department does have or at least had, a few captains/lts in their mid twenties, with only around 5 to 8 years of interior experience, as opposed to a past chief with 20 + years of experience

And not all ex-chiefs are on the line, I believe we do have a few company lieutenants who are past chiefs as well.

The line officer is in charge, period. There should never be deviation from this unless the officer yields his command for whatever purpose. Also, departments that take an ex-chief and make him a "deputy chief" are doing their younger officers a disservice. The first chief that I worked under would let me maintain command of a scene, even as a junior lieutenant, so long as I had the incident in hand. It is that experience you gather as a junior officer that can make you a better chief.

As far as "Ex" whatever on your turnout coat. All of it is nothing but ego. I know all of the ex-chiefs in all of our area departments and could allocate them as needed in a significant incident. Also, the ex-chief from 10 years ago that only comes out for the "big one" shouldn't necessarily be used in an important assignment. The ex-chiefs that maintain their activity in the department are recognized by both department members and mutual aid departments; they don't need a marker on their jacket to stand out.

Finally, as an "ex-captain", I don't think any office should be recognized except for ex-chief on the Class-A uniform. The only thing Ex-Captain or Ex-Lieutenant means in a volunteer department means is that you didn't take the time to stick it out and move up the ranks. I would never wear an "ex-captain" badge. I have my shields and am proud of my service, but I don't want 30 badges at a parade. I'm just one of the guys.

antiquefirelt and helicopper like this

Thats what ICS Vests are for. If their are 3 EX-Chiefs on scene working with command and all 3 say Ex on there coats, no one knows who is doing what.

And EX-Chief is needed on turnout gear for these meetings?

The young Lt or new Capt need to LEAD the company. If they can see EX-Chief on the back of a turnout coat, they are still following and not leading.

Well Bnechis after all this time it seems we finally have something we agree on.

Cogs

Bnechis likes this

I have ALWYS said that making a PAST Chief a "Deputy" is BAD BUSINESS!

the way i see it once a chief always a chief...the "ex" means u have been there and did ur elected time (volunteer side) most of those usually become deputy chiefs. in some cases the in some cases commishiners cant be deputy chiefs therefor having the title of "ex". just my thought process.

BTW good topic!!