Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack10562

Texting and Driving

5 posts in this topic

This video is making the rounds on Facebook, and I'm posting it here in case anyone missed it or does not use FB.

this is not easy to watch, but watch it. it will make you think before you start texting while driving. it will make you think before you get in a car with someone who is texting and driving. and, i hope - it will make you STOP texting with someone that you know is behind the wheel.

please - share this with every parent you know, and with every "text addict" you know.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?filter=lf#!/video/video.php?v=1834379662196&oid=155360057819436&comments

sfrd18, FDNY 10-75 and efdcapt115 like this

I have actually been trying to enforce this. Usually I sit where I can monitor a traffic light. I have found that when there is a red light, that's when you catch them. The prob is, what section to write.I guess you can write for mobile phone in use while operating a MV. I have been writing no hands on steering device as a good cover. Accident reports now have this as an option as poss cause of accident. With most PD's I think switching over to mobile ticket systems, NYS shld add texting as a seperate section!

Maybe I'm too old-fashioned or just don't get it, but I can't understand how *anyone* would ever think it's *possible* to text and drive, never mind a good idea...

I have actually been trying to enforce this. Usually I sit where I can monitor a traffic light. I have found that when there is a red light, that's when you catch them. The prob is, what section to write.I guess you can write for mobile phone in use while operating a MV. I have been writing no hands on steering device as a good cover. Accident reports now have this as an option as poss cause of accident. With most PD's I think switching over to mobile ticket systems, NYS shld add texting as a seperate section!

Interesting. I have no problem *reading* a text message at a red light, and sometimes will en route to a call if I need to confirm the address; you don't usually have time to *compose* a text message so that's self-limiting!

And additional laws shouldn't be needed; in the UK you can write up anything that needs it under catch-all 'careless driving' or 'reckless driving' charges, depending on the seriousness. If fatal, 'death by careless' or 'death by reckless' are available, with 'manslaughter' for the very worst cases. Passing specific laws against texting is just a feel-good exercise IMHO.