Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bnechis

New Rochelle FD History

85 posts in this topic

Hey Cap, it would be really nice and pretty if you put the flower pots back in the windows upstairs. In my retirement I've taken up botany...I highly recommend it...you can talk to the plants you know, they like that... :D

Hey Cap, it would be really nice and pretty if you put the flower pots back in the windows upstairs. In my retirement I've taken up botany...I highly recommend it...you can talk to the plants you know, they like that... :D

I agree that the flower pots should be put back. That way the guys on duty will have something to throw (the flowers) at the drunks that come out of the Beechmont bar at 4AM and cause a disturbance. Maybe then they will SHUT UP, smell the flowers and go back to the dorms.

Barry, Did You Find Any Photos Of Union Engine Company At Second St & Union Avenue ???

Barry, Many Of These OLDER Photos Are From My Photo Collection Which Was Amassed Over A 54 Year Period Starting In 1957. A Few Were From My Uncle James Maguire, A Member Of FDNR Exempts And Retired NRPD Lieutenant Dominick Bruzzese. If Credit Is Due The Photographer(s) Of Any Of These Photos PLEASE Let Us Know ASAP :-)I'm Still Searching For Photos Of Engine 21 And 24 1957 GMC/ALF Engines And The 1950's Oldsmobile Chief's Cars.

Barry, Did You Find Any Photos Of Union Engine Company At Second St & Union Avenue ???

Only 1 with a 2 horse drawn steamer going down the road.

Yes, will post as soon as they get scanned.

Edited by Bnechis

From Car 2301:

"Back in the later 80’s we sold the 1962 and the 1965 Mack Pumpers to the Summit N.Y. Fire Department. The rigs had been stored outside behind Station No. 5 for a long time. We even had bee hives inside the pumps.

A group of gents from Summit got the rigs started and drove these open top beauties all the way up into the Adirondacks without incident, meanwhile we couldn’t believe they got them started.

As I recall they were Prison Guards in one of those “Boot Camp” facilities, which was the major industry in the town , they were a good group and obviously mechanically skilled.

They were thrilled to get the rigs and as the legend goes, the entire townsfolk lined the main drag to welcome their adventurous lads home with these “new rigs”

Wonder if they are still in service."

- Raymond "Doc" Kiernan

Summit NY. is in the Catskills next town over from my place upstate, no wonder I found the 1965 Mack C95. The place in Summit is called "Summit Shock" and is a Prison. I was in there firehouse in 1993 when I bought my place and there where no Macks from New Roc at that time but there was one from Seaford Long Island. Will be starting to go up agian in a few weeks and will stop by to see what the story is !

Edited by PCFD ENG58
Bnechis likes this

FYI, One Mack C-Series Pumper Was Stored Under The Stairs At Station 2 For A Couple Of Years, Before It Was Sold. Also, Up Until The 1960's Station 2 Was The ' Junk ' Station, ALWAYS Getting The Oldest In Service Rigs As First Line Apparatus. That 1938 ALF Tractor Drawn Aerial Shown In Another BNechis Post Was In Service At Station 2 In The Late 50's And Possibly Early 60's Until It Was Replaced By The 1961 Maxim O/C Tractor-Drawn Aerial. The Maxim Aerial And Mack C-Series Pumper Were The First NEW Rigs For This Station In Many, Many Years !!!!!!

Awesome pictures thanks for sharing! I especially like the trampoline for victims to jump onto!

Awesome pictures thanks for sharing! I especially like the trampoline for victims to jump onto!

How about "life net" You can find a Trampoline at Toys R us !

Edited by PCFD ENG58

How about "life net" You can find a Trampoline at Toys R us !

Yes, "life net" is the correct name. Thanks.

Yes, "life net" is the correct name. Thanks.

and all these years i thought we jumped into a trampoline at drill school wow go figure

Aim for the big red dot in the center...step off and immediately assume a sitting position

Aim for the big red dot in the center...step off and immediately assume a sitting position

If you look very closely in the photo just behind the Life Net is a Left Handed Smoke Shifter....now THAT is rare....

If you look very closely in the photo just behind the Life Net is a Left Handed Smoke Shifter....now THAT is rare....

I have to correct you again Capt. It's a Right Handed Smoke Shifter, Unless the truck company put the Left Handed Smoke Shifter on the right side of the truck. The Right Handed ones are on the right side of the truck and the Left Handed ones are on the left side.huh.gif

I have to correct you again Capt. It's a Right Handed Smoke Shifter, Unless the truck company put the Left Handed Smoke Shifter on the right side of the truck. The Right Handed ones are on the right side of the truck and the Left Handed ones are on the left side.huh.gif

How silly of me. I stand corrected. Thank you. Still I haven't seen one of those in ages....

and

How silly of me. I stand corrected. Thank you. Still I haven't seen one of those in ages....

And next to that is the Pompier ladduer Messuer.

Got any Grey Poupon?

post-4072-0-16149600-1298078812.jpg

post-4072-0-22743300-1298078698.jpg

post-4072-0-76908300-1298078725.jpg

Final Morning at Station #1. After this photo was taken the company moved to the new station #1 on Harrison Street.

The building was torn down to build the original Mall Parking Garage.

1966-1967

The last photo is from the Dominick Bruzzese collection

x635 likes this

The old NRFD Station 1, like many of the old houses, had a coal burning furnace. Part of the duties of the man on watch or the probie was to make sure the furnace was stoked. It was the duty of the man with the all night watch to make sure the guys were kept warm all night. This may have been the beginning of 'don't ask, don't tell' !

x635 likes this

LOL! That's great! I'm in the Army so I know all about that.. I was supposed to visit station 1 this morning because I signed up for the NRFD test but I couldn't make it because I called in to my unit last minute. Any way it's nice to see how far an organization has come. God willing I can have the honor of being a probie with NRFD some day..

thanks

Bnechis likes this

post-4072-0-16149600-1298078812.jpg

post-4072-0-22743300-1298078698.jpg

post-4072-0-76908300-1298078725.jpg

Final Morning at Station #1. After this photo was taken the company moved to the new station #1 on Harrison Street.

The building was torn down to build the original Mall Parking Garage.

1966-1967

The last photo is from the Dominick Bruzzese collection

The pictures are priceless. Nothing like old firehouses

That's an awesome photo. It's sad how many beautiful building were torn down during that time period to build modern structures. At the time the current Station 1 was probaly really "modern". But still fits in with the surrounding neighborhood of modern structures, I guess.

Also, it looks like the roofline had changed in the photos. Any story behind that?

That's an awesome photo. It's sad how many beautiful building were torn down during that time period to build modern structures. At the time the current Station 1 was probaly really "modern". But still fits in with the surrounding neighborhood of modern structures, I guess.

Also, it looks like the roofline had changed in the photos. Any story behind that?

Really modern, but consider it was replaced 45 years ago and the replacement no longer cuts it. Consider that old house when built the NRFD did 150 runs per year with horse drawn rigs. Today we run 8,000-9,000 per year

Good catch. I cant find any info on it.

Got to love the old Fallout shelter logo on the front of the building in the last picture. I remember when they started to remove all of them in the late 80's. Wish I grabbed one!

Great old firehouse, back when they looked like firehouses and built to fit in with the neighborhoods.

efdcapt115 likes this