Bnechis

New Rochelle FD History

85 posts in this topic

post-4072-0-91345300-1297643878.jpg

NRFD Huguenot Engine Company Christie Steamer

Photo Taken Sept. 5, 1913

At the I.A.F.E. Convention Parade in NYC

x635 likes this

Nice photo! Christie was actually the name of the manufacturer who made the auto-tractor. Was there any other information who made the steamer Capt?

PCFD ENG58 likes this

Nice photo! Christie was actually the name of the manufacturer who made the auto-tractor. Was there any other information who made the steamer Capt?

Nope. What I wrote was all I have. Only other issue is the front bumper reads "New Rochelle"

I thought Engine #6 was the flying squad.

You could be right, but I'm pretty sure that 5 was Webster when I was growing up on Walnut St. I also remember a tiller truck with a spring-loaded aerial on Webster. My grandfather was a NRPD Sgt at the 2nd Precint before my time.

You could be right, but I'm pretty sure that 5 was Webster when I was growing up on Walnut St. I also remember a tiller truck with a spring-loaded aerial on Webster.

Yes. Engine 5 was on Webster. Station #2 has it engraved over the doorway. All 4 ladders (4th is the spare) up until 1981 were tillers. Last tiller was sold in 1989ish, All would have been spring assist at one time.

I thought Engine #6 was the flying squad.

Engine 6 (26) was originally at station 6 North Ave and Mill Rd. When that station was closed ( with the opening of Station 7 on Stratton Rd ( now station 5), the engine was operated out of I believe Church St then Harrison St. When it was brought downtown it operated as the flying squad. It ran on all box alarms with a driver, officer and 3 men on the back step (literally on the back step). It would be cancelled on almost all box alarms and told to return to quarters as they were not needed. Thus they were dubbed "TR6" (turn around 6). This company was one of the first to be issued S.C.B.A.'s. So when there was a working fire the first due engine would stretch and get water on the fire as best they could until Engine 6 arrived to take over the line and operate with S.C.B.A.'s.

For all you firehouse buffs, Station 6 is still in use. Not as a firehouse, but as a private house. The present owner has done everything possible to maintain the look of an active firehouse.

For all you firehouse buffs, Station 6 is still in use. Not as a firehouse, but as a private house. The present owner has done everything possible to maintain the look of an active firehouse.

His name is Jon Sturner. He owned and operated "Firehouse Films" located on Centre Ave. next to the overpass, until your urban planners tore down the tenements on the corner of Huguenot and Centre, thus making the studio non-viable for film production, due to truck traffic noise. It's now a green-grocers.

until your urban planners tore down the tenements on the corner of Huguenot and Centre,

The only planning was the guy went to the gas station before igniting the building.

efdcapt115 likes this

The only planning was the guy went to the gas station before igniting the building.

Exactly my point...urban planning. The blight of American urban areas, Detroit comes to mind. If the arsonists don't burn them down before they go into foreclosure these days. The abandonment by American corporations, the decimation of the working class...the last vestige being decent cops and firefighters' jobs, now under attack, led by the corporatist element that profited so neatly by removing the "Heartland" of American manufacturing over the border to the war-zone side of Mexico. You know, the Canadians have fared by far the best over this whole North American, Free For All. But here........fugetaboutit...

The best thing Westchester has going for it, is it's proximity to the city, for stability in housing prices right now, a stable but fed-up tax base, with Right To work Ganneters over at Lohud trying to make inroads into OUR system, the one that WE BUILT with grief-filled hearts, with our Brothers' Blood, and back in the day when what was RIGHT was the RIGHT THING TO DO.

I'm so sick of Gannett and Murdolch trying to destroy what they could care less about, the history and the pain and suffering so many Brothers went through to get us where we are today.

I mean come on people, lets get real here, enough with the hype, learn your history before you come and attempt to revision the pension system. I have an Uncle who gave most of his life to the FDNY, and now they want to take away his and the other FDNY members' "Discretionary fund." This Brother did decades of work during the war years, has a measly regular pension, and losing the Discretionary would really put him in a bind. Hands off Bloombag.

Oh yeah, so that building actually was torched Barry?

Edited content. GG

791075 likes this

His name is Jon Sturner. He owned and operated "Firehouse Films" located on Centre Ave. next to the overpass, until your urban planners tore down the tenements on the corner of Huguenot and Centre.

And the help of a few gallons of gasoline. The occupied tenements were set a fire early one morning back in the early 80's.

post-4072-0-80783500-1297735366.jpg

post-4072-0-60156100-1297735409.jpg

post-4072-0-04583800-1297735467.jpg

post-4072-0-27370000-1297735529.jpg

After the Current Station #1 was built in 1966. This Building was sold. It is currently a church, prior to that it was a toy factory

Edited by Bnechis
efdcapt115 likes this

Would be nice to re-acquire it and make it a fire museum!!

where is the old hqter's located at?

Church St just south of Main St.

Thanks LT. Really is a beautiful firehouse. You guys did a great job last nite!

post-4072-0-10366800-1297771401.jpg

Huguenot Engine Co#1 Fire Station on Lawton Street. c.1880

Building burn to the ground while company was out of quarrters on another incident.

The Fire Bell was Found in the Basement and was saved.

post-4072-0-40937100-1297771570.jpg

Huguenot Engine Co#1 Replacment House

Was Torn down in 1890 to clear land for new Police Station. Company relocated to new Fire Headquaters on Church Street.

Police Station was torn down in the 1960's. Was a park and now the parking lot for the Library.

The Bell is currently located infront of Station #1 (Harrison Street) as part of the UFFA memorial.

Alpinerunner likes this

Awesome pics Captain. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming!

I love to see pictures of the real early years of the fire service.

post-4072-0-88179300-1297884017.jpg

The 1960 Mack Quad was assigned to Station #5 on Stratton Rd.

Was staffed with a driver, officer, 2 engine men and 2 ladder men the 4 "backstep men" road 2 on each side.

post-4072-0-66947500-1297884342.jpg

1962 Mack Engine #5 assigned to Station #2

post-4072-0-85658900-1297884259.jpg

1962 Mack Engine #2 assigned to Station #2

Note this is the same unit as #5 above after the city renumbered all of the rigs.

post-4072-0-49202300-1297886142.jpg

1965 Mack Engine #6 assigned as the Squad

Note this unit carries Puple K in the jump seats.

post-4072-0-01844200-1297886171.jpg

1969 Ward LaFrance assigned to station #3. Was referbished in the mid 1980's adding a roof. Sold in 1989 to Eastchester FD.

Distroyed in MVA shortly after sale.

Photo Credits to the Midnight Voice of KEF 934 John P. Maguire

791075, sfrd18 and PCFD ENG58 like this

Those color photos credit should go to either Joe Pinto or my father Gus Stretz those are photos that were taken by them

The color photos were taken by Gus Stretz and myself.

The color photos were taken by Gus Stretz and myself.

Sorry for not giving you full credit. JPM was where I got them and I did not know that they were from you and GS.

Thank you for helping to keep our tradition alive and well.

Edited by Bnechis

Barry, the Mack C-95 I found upstate is the newer one, the 65 as it has the hand grab rails on top of the jump seat panels I did not know New Ro had two C Models also is that the one that used to be parked under the stairs at Webster ave Sta.

also is that the one that used to be parked under the stairs at Webster ave Sta.

Could be, they stopped having a spare at #2 before I got on the job.

post-4072-0-44472900-1297979965.jpg

Olympia Engine Company #3 1911

post-4072-0-18098400-1297979999.jpg

Olympia Engine Company #3 January 1916

Notice the 2 story exposure #4 in 1911, but only 1 story in 1916. Also look at the unusual windows at the roofline of that exposure.

Love the flower pots in the windows.

Edited by Bnechis
JetPhoto likes this

Now that's a good looking firehouse. We hear the companies there are top-notch. Station three, the place to be!

post-4072-0-32018700-1298032336.jpg

A current view of Station #3

In 1986-1988 The house underwent a major rebuild including replacing the apparatus floor and its support system.

In this photo you can see the doors have been widened and the center window removed.

post-4072-0-54922200-1298032625.jpg

Early motorized tiller pulling out of Station #1

post-4072-0-47601000-1298032689.jpg

1938 Ladder truck (brand new) during 250th New Rochelle Anniversary Parade

post-4072-0-53590600-1298032863.jpg

1938 Ladder truck

Photo Credit John Magiure (The Midnight Voice of KEF-9340