Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

6 NYC firefighters hurt battling fire in Mount Vernon on Bronx border

20 posts in this topic

Who had IC for this incident...Mount Vernon or FDNY?

6 NYC firefighters hurt battling fire in Mount Vernon on Bronx border

By Will David • wdavid@lohud.com • February 15, 2011

MOUNT VERNON — Six New York City firefighters were injured and some 18 people were displaced battling a wind-fueled fire early today in Mount Vernon on the Bronx border.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20110215/NEWS02/102150368/6-NYC-firefighters-hurt-battling-fire-in-Mount-Vernon-on-Bronx-border

From what i heard FDNY was on scene first and operated, went to a 3rd alarm for FDNY. Mount Vernon came after and also operated. After most of fire was out I think FDNY turned over things to MVFD.

FDNY companies from the 15th Battalion were dispatched and arrived first and transmitted the initial 10-75. Mt. Vernon FD units were dispatched shortly after. I believe highest incident command on scene was FDNY Assistant Chief of Operations Manahan, with the scene being turned over the MVFD after the Under Control.

x635 likes this

Anybody know how FDNY got the call? Was it by phone or ERS Box?

Great work to both the FDNY and the FDMV.

BTW, did the FDNY and FDMV assignments for the fire come in at the same time, or was one dept. o/s before the other?

From what i heard FDNY was on scene first and operated, went to a 3rd alarm for FDNY. Mount Vernon came after and also operated. After most of fire was out I think FDNY turned over things to MVFD.

FDMV arrived as FDNY was stretching in, not after FDNY went to 3rd alarm. FDMV Deputy Chief on arrival coordinated and took control of exposure on Sanford Blvd and 11th Ave.

I'm back to work later this week, I will get the info about how it was received. I will take a stab and say it was a phone alarm. This isn't the first time this has happened, where both FDNY and MV have either gotten simultaneous calls, or one got there after the other, etc. I can remember a second alarm a couple of years ago where FDNY was operating and we didn't know MV was there till about 20 minutes into it.

Sounds like a hell of a job. Nice work FDMV and FDNY.

Assignments and who arrived when aside...speedy recovery to the injured brothers.

Nice job by both FDNY and FDMV!

Two FDNY firefighter were also injured during a 3rd alarm fire in Queens yesterday.

Hopefully all 8 FDNY firefighter are back to normal health quickly. Stay safe!

Incident Alert

Box 3840 Pittman x Mundy Phone alarm or fire 3+2

63, 38, 66

39, 51

Heavy fire out 4 windows on 1 side,2 lines were operating inside when B15 called us out to go exterior. Calling this a wind effected fire would be an understatement.

10-75 got

E62 CFRD

L61 FAST

Squad 61

R3

Additional 1+1

E97 L32

(I may have E97 and E62 reversed)

Above that I don't know the order

Edited by CFD320

What companies did Mt. Vernon use at the scene?

Anybody have a rundown.

Did not mean to say MVFD came after the 3rd alarm, they were on scene a few minutes after initial FDNY units. REceived as a phone alarm for fire at the location FDNY rundown as Follows:

1st alarm E63,38,66,62 L39,51 61Fast Bn 15 Bn 27 Div7 Squad 61 Res3

add'l E&T E97 L32 Bn18

2nd alarm E79,52,90 L37 Sat.2 E72 Bn19,20 Safety Bn, Rescue Bn FieldCom

2TL's Called TL41,46

3rd alarm E84/81,88,45,64 Bn3,17 no Trucks.

Anybody know how FDNY got the call? Was it by phone or ERS Box?

From the newspaper article:

New York City firefighters responded first to a 911 call from a passer-by about 12:30 a.m.

What companies did Mt. Vernon use at the scene?

Anybody have a rundown.

FDMV E-3,E-4,E-5,E-6, TL-1,L-2,L-3,BN-2

Not for nothing, but it kind of bothers me to see so many of you more concerned with the response to the incident rather than how bad the injuries are and if they are going to be all right. Only a few of you said anything to that effect.

Hopefully they are all ok and will recover 100%. How did they get hurt? Sorry, had troubles with the links provided and couldnt access them for some reason. Thanks.

M' Ave likes this

Not for nothing, but it kind of bothers me to see so many of you more concerned with the response to the incident rather than how bad the injuries are and if they are going to be all right. Only a few of you said anything to that effect.

Hopefully they are all ok and will recover 100%. How did they get hurt? Sorry, had troubles with the links provided and couldnt access them for some reason. Thanks.

Good point, but FWIW the article states that it was an exterior attack and the injuries were minor.

Because people are familiar with FDNY incidents. Nearly every multiple generates injuries. All of these injuries, no matter how minor are reported(as they should be) and any more serious injuries are reported in greater detail and often over reported. Every incidence of serious illness or injury on here gets an outpouring of support from this site. There's no need to get put off because people are more concerned with the rundown.

It stated in the journal news article, - "The firefighters' injuries were described as minor"

Edited by Steve