Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFDRes47cue

Ossining - Working Fire - 2-21-2011 Discussion

22 posts in this topic

Anyone have any details on the OFD fire this morning. The I/A says entrapment... True? Not true? Anything?

Thanks!

Anyone have any details on the OFD fire this morning. The I/A says entrapment... True? Not true? Anything?

Thanks!

While I was getting ready for work I also heard over the scanner that there was a reported entrapment, but I haven't listened to the communications since 8:45 or so.

Edited by FF1

There was an entrapement, and the occupant did not make it, was found behind the front door.

There was an entrapement, and the occupant did not make it, was found behind the front door.

How were they "entrapped"? If they were just behind the door it sounds more like they discovered the fire and was attempting to get out when they were overcome.

Entrapment is relative. Had a guy wriggle himself out of a flattened car he flipped and the opening wasn't more than 10" tall. Had a stuck occupied elevator where the occupant didn't know there was a latch on the sliding door. MVA RMAed and the stuck elevator went to the ER. Caller says I can't get out...they're trapped.

I knew this women personally as she was a customer at my job. nice lady, such a shame.

Here are some of the pictures "Mrs." SteveOFD took of Monday mornings fire.

post-27-0-57443100-1298773687.jpg

The 5" supply line from the hydrant toward the scene.

post-27-0-60068000-1298773858.jpg

Just short of the scene.

post-27-0-94123800-1298773920.jpg

There was snow to contend with that morning.

post-27-0-80927400-1298773967.jpg

Ladder 42 working at maybe it's last job.

post-27-0-55489200-1298774029.jpg

Crew operating on the D side.

post-27-0-24423000-1298774069.jpg

Engine 97 dropped it's whole hosebed.

post-27-0-83832000-1298774141.jpg

Engine 96 pumping from a larger main from Wolden Road up Underhill Road.

post-27-0-20171800-1298774307.jpg

The 5" line coming up Underhill Rd. from Engine 96.

post-27-0-15697200-1298774487.jpg

The 5" line continues up Underhill Rd.

post-27-0-17596900-1298774553.jpg

The 5" line up to Engine 99 for relay.

post-27-0-83772400-1298774617.jpg

Engine 99 at the relay pumping to Engine 97. Approximately 800' from Engine 96, and then approximately 700' to Engine 97.

Mrs. SteveOFD walked up to the scene to ask if I wanted my camera. I told her I was working the job (at E99 pumping), but if she wanted to take some pictures she could. These pictures were taken as any civilian could have, she was granted no special access beyond what any civilian could have gotten.

The "old" L42 still on the job....I thought the new TL was in service already? Great pics by the way!!!

Edited by nyemt131411

Man long lays on a cold day, not fun repacking that hose bed. Looks like the relay set up made sure there was more than enough water for the units operating.

The long lay was because of water main issues' ( not 100% but I thought I heard of a break )... O town did a great job keeping the water coming.... I know at one point my Chief ( 2082/Remember585 ) mentioned that they may ask E119 to lay in from South Highland( as it was parked on the scene as FAST ) and being the driver that day, would of sucked to pick up out 1000 ft of 5 inch... Thanks for handling that OFD !!!

I used to live near there, I believe the mains up in that neighborhood are perhaps only 4 inch and with the elevation, maybe has @ 60 LBS of pressure available. I forget but I think the orange top hydrant indicates it can flow only up to 500GPM.(?) If there was a break somewhere, even less.

That "green" hydrant down on Wolden Rd (If I remember correctly) runs @ 125PSI or even better and delivers over 1000 GPM (?).

Maybe someone who knows for sure can tell us what the hydrant color ratings are.

Tough job, and tougher conditions.

Ladder 42 is still in service, from what i heard there is a small problem with the newtower ladder and its delaying it from goin into service.

The hydrants in ossining are color coordinated like you said red less than 500gpm, orange 500-1000gpm, green 1000-1500gpm and blue more than 1500gpm

The hydrants in ossining are color coordinated like you said red less than 500gpm, orange 500-1000gpm, green 1000-1500gpm and blue more than 1500gpm

thanks E100 - I never knew that, good to know...

thanks E100 - I never knew that, good to know...

NFPA 291 Hydrant color codes

BLUE 1500 GPM or more Very good flows

GREEN 1000-1499 GPM Good for residential areas

ORANGE 500-999 GPM Marginally adequate

RED Below 500 GPM Inadequate

Edited by Firemn2742A
Alpinerunner and jack10562 like this

NFPA 291 Hydrant color codes

BLUE 1500 GPM or more Very good flows

GREEN 1000-1499 GPM Good for residential areas

ORANGE 500-999 GPM Marginally adequate

RED Below 500 GPM Inadequate

hmmm, in Croton we have " reflective white " only... its always a guessing game.

hmmm, in Croton we have " reflective white " only... its always a guessing game.

Yeah it kills how few places follow the NFPA standard my town included. I guess if you have maps with main sizes you can overcome but why should you have to? In the city the main size is usually on the barrel and it has a line under it if it is only feed from one direction (dead end). If you have a regular engine chauffeur with some experience they usually know their area pretty well. One of the most under appreciated guys on the fireground but most critical.

It might behoove you to perhaps investigate that further.

The water dept may already know what each hydrant is capable of, given the size of the main and the typical pressure based on the elevation and location within the system. Or at least they should.

It's just a matter of painting the hydrant bonnet and/or steamer cap accordingly.

At a glance you would know what the water supply capacity is available for use when you pull up to a job.

efdcapt115 likes this

Jack,

After a couple of fires we were at in Peekskill, that dealt with water main issues, we approached the chiefs ( then water dept. ) to get some information on our water main sizes and pressures, and were told that they did not have anything down firm yet.... The water dept. has been working on improving our main system and trying to loop the lines as much as possible, but to date we can not get anything...

The last I heard, Car 2082 was working on getting this established for us... but we are still behind Ossining's colored system ( and other towns and cities that have it ) but hopefully one day we will know... Thanks for you advise.