Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

Ghost Lettering On Fire Vehicles

44 posts in this topic

With how low profile LED bars are today, I can't even see how much a slicktop vehicle adds to fuel economy.

Believe it or not there is a big difference between having clean airflow over the roof and having a very minor obstruction, as roofs are designed very precisely to maximize aerodynamics. I've heard that the difference in fuel economy between a slicktop and low profile-lightbar equipped vehicle is as much as 2 MPG.

Believe it or not there is a big difference between having clean airflow over the roof and having a very minor obstruction, as roofs are designed very precisely to maximize aerodynamics. I've heard that the difference in fuel economy between a slicktop and low profile-lightbar equipped vehicle is as much as 2 MPG.

Of course a good amount of the time that these vehicles are being driven are at "higher" than posted speed limits and hard acceleration which destroys the gas mileage anyway so MPG should really not have a bearing on putting the lightbar inside or outside. 2051's Tahoe has interior front and rear bars. At night it is just as bright and just as effective as an exterior light bars and only a little bit diminished during the day as opposed to other chief cars. (don't have any pictures)

2051's Tahoe has interior front and rear bars. At night it is just as bright and just as effective as an exterior light bars and only a little bit diminished during the day as opposed to other chief cars. (don't have any pictures)

Photo TR54 - Briarcliff Manor Car 2051.

post-23-0-53155300-1298351006.jpg

Of course a good amount of the time that these vehicles are being driven are at "higher" than posted speed limits and hard acceleration which destroys the gas mileage anyway so MPG should really not have a bearing on putting the lightbar inside or outside. 2051's Tahoe has interior front and rear bars. At night it is just as bright and just as effective as an exterior light bars and only a little bit diminished during the day as opposed to other chief cars. (don't have any pictures)

Maybe in a busy system (say FDNY) will a supervisor's vehicle run hard all the time, but for the bulk of driving that the Chief's cars in Westchester do (serve as the personal vehicle for the Chief so that he/she may respond to calls at any time), I don't think they are running hot a bulk of the time.

That being said, you are right in that fuel economy isn't the primary concern when specing out emergency apparatus-effectiveness in completing their assigned task and maintaining safety of the MOS(s) operating in and around them. That being said, it is a consideration. Even if the car is driving hard all the time, the lightbar will have a negative effect on gas mileage, since the vehicle will be run hard with or without a light bar on top.

Maybe in a busy system (say FDNY) will a supervisor's vehicle run hard all the time, but for the bulk of driving that the Chief's cars in Westchester do (serve as the personal vehicle for the Chief so that he/she may respond to calls at any time), I don't think they are running hot a bulk of the time.

That being said, you are right in that fuel economy isn't the primary concern when specing out emergency apparatus-effectiveness in completing their assigned task and maintaining safety of the MOS(s) operating in and around them. That being said, it is a consideration. Even if the car is driving hard all the time, the lightbar will have a negative effect on gas mileage, since the vehicle will be run hard with or without a light bar on top.

How many times though, is a Battalion vehicle in FDNY running at 'higher speeds' versus places slightly more rural?

As was stated, it makes it much easier to abuse their powers. I guess they want to look like the cops too...

64FFMJK and INIT915 like this

How many times though, is a Battalion vehicle in FDNY running at 'higher speeds' versus places slightly more rural?

I wouldn't know the exact number, but given that FDNY chiefs only use their vehicles while on duty, vs. a rural chief who is using the vehicle 24/7, my guess would be that the FDNY vehicles see a much higher percentage of emergency response. The higher call volume can also not be ignored.

As was stated, it makes it much easier to abuse their powers. I guess they want to look like the cops too...

You've got to be kidding me. What are you talking about? Are you insinuating that they will use this vehicle to pull people over? It's the department's choice if they want to use this lettering. I don't see the point of it, personally, but there is no need to attack any department for choosing it. It's my understanding that many NY Volly Chiefs use their cars for personal business so that they are always able to respond while in or near district. This makes sense and I wouldn't consider it abuse if it's part of their department's policies.

It's also possible that when the public sees a chiefs vehicle at the grocery store, and don't understand why, they will consider it abuse (as you stated), when it actully is done for a good reason. Maybe they are trying to avoid bad press? The public also thinks that when we shut our lights and sirens off en route, that we are just playing with them. If these towns could afford to have a Chief sit in the station all day and wait for calls, I'm sure they would.

Edited by Alpinerunner
FFBlaser likes this

So from what I'm reading there are people saying that the vehicles should be marked with colored lettering etc. What about Fire commissioners, Chief of Dept's, Staff Chief's, etc.???

I'm pretty sure there are a few Dept's that have high ranking staff that drive unmarked cars and respond.

So from what I'm reading there are people saying that the vehicles should be marked with colored lettering etc. What about Fire commissioners, Chief of Dept's, Staff Chief's, etc.???

I'm pretty sure there are a few Dept's that have high ranking staff that drive unmarked cars and respond.

When we spec'd out our Chief car a couple of years ago we spec'd out white stripping on a white car. The lettering is colored and we have a double light bar on the front of the roof and a yellow directional in the rear. Also front grill lights and side lights. During the day, with lights and siren going and proper driving, the car is very noticable and gets around safely. My biggest concern was visibility at night and the white stripping reflects extremely well with oncoming traffic. I have used the Chief car to block off roads at MVA's to help protect the scene. My greatest concern was visibility and with the stripping and the side lights we accomplished that.

And your a moderator? You really think this is the reason?

I guess the truth really hurts some of you guys.

I speak based on the irresponsible actions of the local chiefs and assistants with ghost lettering on their vehicles. Maybe south of here the Chiefs drive with respect and decency... But then again, I have seen plenty of Chiefs from Westchester, Rockland and Putnam drive around erratically with the lights and sirens blaring at the HVVFA shows 100 miles out of their response area, so maybe not.

Ghost lettering and blue LEDs on fire apparatus wasn't important to have until the cops got it. All of a sudden, everyone has to have it and it apparently has nothing to do with the police having it?

If you don't think I should be a moderator because I have an opinion that is different from yours, I am more than happy to give it up. However, I won't give up my opinion.

Danger, 64FFMJK and INIT915 like this

I guess the truth really hurts some of you guys.

I speak based on the irresponsible actions of the local chiefs and assistants with ghost lettering on their vehicles. Maybe south of here the Chiefs drive with respect and decency... But then again, I have seen plenty of Chiefs from Westchester, Rockland and Putnam drive around erratically with the lights and sirens blaring at the HVVFA shows 100 miles out of their response area, so maybe not.

Ghost lettering and blue LEDs on fire apparatus wasn't important to have until the cops got it. All of a sudden, everyone has to have it and it apparently has nothing to do with the police having it?

If you don't think I should be a moderator because I have an opinion that is different from yours, I am more than happy to give it up. However, I won't give up my opinion.

Blue LEDs are a SAFETY ISSUE not a police issue thank you very much. It became legal for police as a safety issue and is legal on fire apparatus for that same issue as well. Clearly you are letting your opinion get in the way of the facts.

Edited by bvfdjc316
FFBlaser likes this