Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Watch Where You Step

6 posts in this topic

This is an example of why a walkaround is essential, and communicating that information found to interior crews is even more essential.

post-11-0-31703600-1301337700.jpg

JFLYNN, FF398 and Alpinerunner like this

Yes a walk around is important. And if you can't see where you are putting your foot, you should be CRAWLING

Chief Flynn how many times have we told young firefighters if you cant see your feet you shouldnt be on them words to live a long firefighter life.

In the hallway,on the roof, even in the street, for the love of all things Holy, CRAWL!

Just to add another perspective to the picture, it appears that the code enforcement process may be lacking there. While it's not 100%, I'd bet that many rooms behind the walls we can see have only one door in/out, while the windows are nowhere close to being egress compliant. I find that many non-fire based code officials fail to understand the egress window requirements and therefore are often lenient on the owners. Of course the house could be sprinklered, but that's still far too rare.

In the hallway,on the roof, even in the street, for the love of all things Holy, CRAWL!

I agree 100%

Several years ago a police officer in my department was checking the rear of house on an activated alarm call. There were several inches of snow on the ground at the time. The back yard looked like a flat field due to the snow. What the officer did not know is that there was an in ground pool very close to the rear door of the house. After checking the rear door he moved back to look at the windows on the second floor. He then stepped through the pool cover and fell a few feet to the concrete bottom of the pool. There was either no or minimal water in that end of the pool. The pool cover was old and covered with snow and no other references to a pool could be seen. Due to his injuries, the officer could not return to duty.

It just goes to show, if you can’t tell what you are walking on, you should not be walking on it!