Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

"Americas Most Wanted" Cancelled By Fox

15 posts in this topic

Unbelievable how selfish Fox is. They aren't making money on it, and they need space to air repeats are their reasons. Like Fox isn't making millions upon millions elsewhere and just do this show as a public service, considering all the good it's done.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/TV/2011/05/16/Americas-Most-Wanted-canceled/UPI-27151305559390/

FDNY 10-75 and islander like this

Hopefully another network will pick it up. Personally I could see Discovery taking it, as they already have a lot of crime related shows.

Crime and Investigation network could pick it up since that's basically what they're all about. Although I think in order to reach the amount of people they were it needs to be on network television. This show provided a great public service and should remain on air regardless of what the ratings are.

A&E has a ton of crime shows, and so does the Crime And Investigation Network, but I think that channel is only available in HD. Maybe someone will pick it up for syndication.

To rub salt in the wound, Fox is cancelling it, for one of the reasons given beside's it doesn't make them money, is that they need that time to air RERUNS. A lot of networks do that nowadays, but to cancel a show like AMW for that? I mean, it's such a golden timeslot [/sarcasm].

I remember when Fox cancelled it in 1996. That only lasted a month after it sparked outrage.

1,148 people have been captured because of AMW. 5 million viewers on a Saturday night. 24 seasons in the same timeslot.

Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly said that "economically, it didn't make sense" to continue the show, which had not made money for a while. Additionally, "for business reasons we want to have a place for repeats," he said.

I understand TV is a business, but Fox makes millions upon millions. Production of this show is a drop in the bucket for them. John Walsh doesn't seem angered at the decision, he even said he "loves the network" and appreciates the chance they gave him and the show. He is shopping it around now from what I understand, and looking at other avenues as well.

But, what will Fox give us in return? Some one hit wonder American Idol that flops and no one remembers because they vote out all the good people first.

If COPS is next, I will be livid.

I think the biggest issue was the timeslot. Saturday nights just aren't a great time for people to sit down and watch a show like AMW. I think it could be very successful as a show in weekday primetime, or maybe spliced in to the nightly news during the week.

Then again, I know very little about the TV industry, so this is just me talking.

I hope someone picks it up! Wasn't that show started to find the person who killed John Walsh's son? There have been MANY arrests from leads on AMW, shame to see it go.

If I was running fox...I would cancel it as well...bottom line..I'm running a business. The show has done a wonderful job and like all things...it just ran its time. How about complimenting fox for running it as long as it did and even putting on such a show back in the early 90's to begin with. Heck of run...and a bunch of people brought to justice. Kudo's fox for what you started and ran for such a long time. Also I thought it was on their Sunday night line up originally with: The Simpsons, In Living Color and Married with Children

Edited by alsfirefighter
JohnnyOV, ny10570, M' Ave and 1 other like this

As of right now it's not cancelled, it's being scaled back to a quarterly schedule. I think they said they're going to have 4 2 hour specials but the people from the show are free to shop around and are already doing so.

what i don't get is they say they have 5 million people tuned in to watch the show. you have 5 million people tuned into fox every saturday night and you cancel to put on re-runs??? how do those people or even a portion of them leaving because they dont like the show that's on bring in more money to the network? less people obviously equals less money. but then again, I guess i'm probably wrong.

I think the biggest issue was the timeslot. Saturday nights just aren't a great time for people to sit down and watch a show like AMW. I think it could be very successful as a show in weekday primetime, or maybe spliced in to the nightly news during the week.

Then again, I know very little about the TV industry, so this is just me talking.

Bingo good show bad time,I used to watch amw and cops alot back when i was young and had no outside life,but to tell you the truth i cant remember the last time i spent a saturday night home to watch tv. Fox should just move it to a different time slot on a weekday instead of showing the same reruns of family guy,the office,etc.

If I was running fox...I would cancel it as well...bottom line..I'm running a business.

Rupurt Murdoch/Newscorp has all the money in the world. This is not the type of show that makes money. It's like a lot of networks....they want to churn out crap and squeeze every dime they have out of it. The show ran for 24 years, but it should have ran forever. They are a business, but businesses should give back to their community. Especially now with all the cutbacks in law enforcement. The Fox Entertainment Executive makes millions upon millions every year, along with perks and other amenties. Do you think he really cares about families that want closure, or his paycheck that gives him more money then he can even spend?

Yeah, in the 90's they were cutting edge. Now, all they really have is "Glee" and the failing "American Idol", and the Sunday night animation.

Fox will probably show re-runs of AMW and have people looking for perps already caught.

Rupurt Murdoch/Newscorp has all the money in the world. This is not the type of show that makes money. It's like a lot of networks....they want to churn out crap and squeeze every dime they have out of it. The show ran for 24 years, but it should have ran forever. They are a business, but businesses should give back to their community. Especially now with all the cutbacks in law enforcement. The Fox Entertainment Executive makes millions upon millions every year, along with perks and other amenties. Do you think he really cares about families that want closure, or his paycheck that gives him more money then he can even spend?

Yeah, in the 90's they were cutting edge. Now, all they really have is "Glee" and the failing "American Idol", and the Sunday night animation.

Actually you just answered your own question...does he or Fox/Newscorp care?....they did enough to run it for 24 years. Should run and will run is a big difference. Bottom line is this...do they really owe anyone anything after running the show for 24 years? Or should they succomb to emotional responses or as I said and what I'm saying...kudos to Fox for carrying it for 24 years.

...kudos to Fox for carrying it for 24 years.

So, are you defending the network s? It didn't run it's course as you said, it got cancelled by greed. At least they are honest about that. As long as their are fugitives, this show will always be relevant.

Do you hope the show gets picked up by another network?

I'm sure the "emotional responses" are triggered by those who can see what good the show has done, especially by the families that this show has helped.

So, are you defending the network s? It didn't run it's course as you said, it got cancelled by greed. At least they are honest about that. As long as their are fugitives, this show will always be relevant.

Do you hope the show gets picked up by another network?

I'm sure the "emotional responses" are triggered by those who can see what good the show has done, especially by the families that this show has helped.

I don't work for them or have a vested interest so I there is no need for me to "defend" them. What I am saying is I understand the business aspect of it and think to criticize them so harshly after running that show for 24 years is a little over the top.

Do I hope it gets picked up by another network? Can't say I really care either way...I haven't watched that show in probably 15 to 20 years. If it does...awesome...if it doesn't I can't say that 24 years wasn't a heck of a run for a atypical type of show when it started.

When I say emotional response...its the type of response that seems like people take it personally. Don't get upset at me for looking at it from multiple sides and the bigger picture. Like it or not FOX is a company, a public company I believe at that...and a company again that ran that show for 24 years. I understand the business side of it...we are a nation of capitalism and I just see the understanding. Whether I agree with it or not has no bearing...I'm saying I understand why such a decision would be made. There are plenty of other tv shows that may be important to people for varying reasons that get cancelled some that still make money. Which is what it comes down too...making money. Broadcasting is about advertising...advertising equals revenue...like it or not. 24 years for any show is a very very long time. They did great justice over those years...and sadly...like it or not...all good things do come to an end..and on FOX it happens to be AMW.

I can ask you a question as well...does 24 years of carrying it not count? If I remember correctly they were going to cancel it a few years ago because of similar issues and they decided to continue to run it. I don't see ABC, NBC, CBS running to do the same...not once. NBC had unsolved mysteries...but made them more drama based then anything. Did it do greater good? Yes. Do I think its sad that its ending? Yes. But just because I understand why and don't look down on the network for doing so...doesn't make me the bad guy.

OoO and NurseMedic like this