Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calhobs

A Union question

18 posts in this topic

We just voted on a union to represent us here at work. I work for the Federal Govt. The union will be representing us nationwide. Being a federal employee we come under the Right to Work Act were we do not have to join if we do not want to. My question is would you join a union that the local representing you was broke? Meaning they have no money. How broke you ask? So broke the President of the local can not even drive up to Westchester to meet with us.

We just voted on a union to represent us here at work. I work for the Federal Govt. The union will be representing us nationwide. Being a federal employee we come under the Right to Work Act were we do not have to join if we do not want to. My question is would you join a union that the local representing you was broke? Meaning they have no money. How broke you ask? So broke the President of the local can not even drive up to Westchester to meet with us.

Sounds about right. If they don't increase the debt ceiling the federal government will be broke too, right?

:lol:

Sounds about right. If they don't increase the debt ceiling the federal government will be broke too, right?

:lol:

The Union and us could both be taken over by China LOL.

Well,ask yourself this question,lets say you join, and down the road they ask you to be involved in a job action which could be sickout,protest,strike,etc. Would you oblige ??? If your answer is already question mark then you may have your answer.

x129K likes this

Well,ask yourself this question,lets say you join, and down the road they ask you to be involved in a job action which could be sickout,protest,strike,etc. Would you oblige ??? If your answer is already question mark then you may have your answer.

Cant do any of those I am a Federal employee we will be fired.

I'm neither pro or anti-union, however, if your shop has become a union shop, it would behoove you to join. Even if you don't join, you're going to have money taken out of your paycheck to "reimburse" them for negotiating on your behalf. Essentially, you pay union dues either way. If you're going to be forced to pay, why not join so at least you can have a voice.

Calhobs:

When you went union, did you add yourself to an existing local, or become your own? If you are your own, you are broke because you have not voted on dues. If that is the case and you wish to remain broke, then vote to have no dues. If you want to be able to buy stuff, like stamps for mailing, a PO box for getting mail etc, then vote a small amount, like a buck a week/member.

I am less familiar with unionizing into an existing local. If that happened, and YOUR job is bigger than the one you are partnered with then your guys have a lot of clout (assuming you are united) and can cast a majority of votes to get stuff done. If your site is a minority in the new local, maybe you can vote to split off and be your own local. Your national can help you make these choices and get this stuff done.

No one is going to feed you money. If you want something, you are a buyer, and what you want needs to be paid for. Sounds like the local you are with did not want to pay, and they have nothing, and are likely un-united and weak- a managment day dream.

I would like to help you if I can. That's what we do.

Bill

Its best to join the union, afterall there is strength in numbers and the more "members" you have, the better leverage your union will have at the bargaining table. If the local is broke as you say, the increase in membership will eventually help the local since it will mean more dues. I'm not sure if the agency fee payer rule applies in this instance since your Public Sector - Federal Government; however if you don't join, you will not have a voice nor a vote on things such as contracts, leadership, union sponsored training or any other non-contractual benefits they may offer.

I'm curious, is the union by chance AFGE?

Edited by gamewell45

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304569504576403730763020802.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

>By MELANIE TROTTMAN

WASHINGTON—The American Federation of Government Employees said Thursday it has won the right to represent more than 40,000 airport-security screeners employed by the federal government, months after the Obama administration cleared the way for the workers to organize.

The screeners, who work for the Transportation Security Administration, chose the AFGE in a runoff vote against the National Treasury Employees Union by a margin of 8,903 to 8,447 votes. The vote began May 23 and ended Tuesday. In a previous vote tallied in April, neither of the two unions received the majority needed to win.

The TSA workers will only be able to bargain over a limited number of workplace issues—not pay- or security-related matters such as the deployment of personnel or equipment. They'll also be banned from striking or engaging in work slowdowns. Allowable bargaining issues include performance evaluations or the bidding process for work shifts.

While the AFGE union won't be allowed to collectively bargain over the airport security screeners' pay, its president John Gage wants an overhaul of the system used to determine pay raises. During a conference call with reporters Thursday afternoon, Mr. Gage said his first order of business will be to "kill" TSA's Performance and Accountability Standards System, alleging it is discriminatory to older workers, minorities and women.

Its best to join the union, afterall there is strength in numbers and the more "members" you have, the better leverage your union will have at the bargaining table. If the local is broke as you say, the increase in membership will eventually help the local since it will mean more dues. I'm not sure if the agency fee payer rule applies in this instance since your Public Sector - Federal Government; however if you don't join, you will not have a voice nor a vote on things such as contracts, leadership, union sponsored training or any other non-contractual benefits they may offer.

I'm curious, is the union by chance AFGE?

Yes it as as you see Chris posted the new article.

Yes it as as you see Chris posted the new article.

Thank you Chris for posting the article.

Calhobs:

When you went union, did you add yourself to an existing local, or become your own? If you are your own, you are broke because you have not voted on dues. If that is the case and you wish to remain broke, then vote to have no dues. If you want to be able to buy stuff, like stamps for mailing, a PO box for getting mail etc, then vote a small amount, like a buck a week/member.

I am less familiar with unionizing into an existing local. If that happened, and YOUR job is bigger than the one you are partnered with then your guys have a lot of clout (assuming you are united) and can cast a majority of votes to get stuff done. If your site is a minority in the new local, maybe you can vote to split off and be your own local. Your national can help you make these choices and get this stuff done.

No one is going to feed you money. If you want something, you are a buyer, and what you want needs to be paid for. Sounds like the local you are with did not want to pay, and they have nothing, and are likely un-united and weak- a managment day dream.

I would like to help you if I can. That's what we do.

Bill

Heard rumor that there is problems with the officers at the local, thats why they are broke. We are getting little pieces of info daily. But if you notice more then half of the employees did not vote, may tell you something about both unions.

As gamewell45 said, there's strength in numbers. Broke or not if you need the help the union can give you believe me you'll find yourself driving to their HQ. As far as the information and money goes? Get involved, just as any other topic in America, it's best to be informed. The more you know the better off you are at making that decision. Have your shop steward make the drive to HQ and get materials to disseminate to the membership or talk with other unions in the area.

Just remember it's a new hurdle, there will be bumps in the road.

x129K likes this

First and foremost, the union is just a representation of the members. If the union is garbage, the members allowed it. All the strongest unions have a history of strong member support. You have a chance to either put up or shut up. I hope it all goes well for you.

calhobs likes this

Thank you all for your advice, I will use it wisely.

A union is NOT an energy source, it is an energy FOCUSER (is focuser a word?). Use it to turn a bunch of stray beams into a laser. Remember years back UPS went on strike? #1 on the news every night, The President got involved. When they voted on the strike-ending contract, they had a 90% turn out. HUGE deal, major employer, no paycheck, and one out of 10 guys didn't bother to vote!!! It can be frustrating. Be attentive. Keep records. A union is like a tree- it needs to be fed, watered, fertilized, and once in while; pruned. Bill

x129K likes this

There isn't a local anywhere that wouldn't kill for a 90% response from its members. Hell some are just happy with 50%