Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billy98988

West Point, NY - Firefighter (Closing 8/17/2011)

7 posts in this topic

USA JOBS

QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:

Click on link below to view qualification standard.

General Schedule

Qualified candidates applying for this position must show in their resume that they meet the minimum qualifications described below and have training or experience in the following areas: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-06 grade level. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE is defined as: (1). Controlling or extinguishing fires as a member of an organized military, industrial, volunteer, or governmental fire department or brigade; (2). Rescue operations; (3). Detection reduction, or elimination of potential fire hazards; (4). Operation of fire communications equipment; (5). Controlling hazardous materials incidents and/or (6).Developing, implementing, or providing training in fire protection and prevention.

: WORKING CONDITIONS: Wearing of protective equipment and working in extreme weather conditions is required. Work shift: 3 x 24 hours shifts.

: FIRE FIGHTER CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Firefighter I & II, EMT-B, HAZMAT Awareness, HAZMAT Operations and HAZMAT Technician. Certifications must be from DOD, IFSAC OR NPQ. Firefighter must demonstrate the minimum requirements of professional competence required under the current edition of National Fire Protection Association (NJPA) 1001, Firefighter II and 1002, Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator. Must maintain certification as HAZMAT Technician IAW NFPA 472. Must maintain certification as NY State or National Registry Emergency Medical Technician, Basic. Attends required drills, and training, as scheduled by the Department Training Officer to maintain or meet new requirements. Firefighters must meet the requirements of the Federal Firefighters Certification Program.

Doesn't West Point employ seasonal personnel as well? Thought I'd heard that....

Doesn't West Point employ seasonal personnel as well? Thought I'd heard that....

M....I believe they still do during the summer. I believe they are hired as part of a brush crew. I know the seasonal employment may help lead to a full time position.

Its actually a pretty good oportunity for someone looking to get on the job. One of my friends from High School was a seasonal FF and finally got hired on full time. He's now a station commander at a Fire Department in Italy through the Government.

We (Vails Gate) held a Battalion-4 FAST drill a few months back and West Point was there. One of the guys there was preparing to go to Italy as well to work over there as a FF. Really neat opportunity.

Anyone know what the starting and top salaries are for a WP Firefighter?

Edited by BFD1054

M....I believe they still do during the summer. I believe they are hired as part of a brush crew. I know the seasonal employment may help lead to a full time position.

Its actually a pretty good oportunity for someone looking to get on the job. One of my friends from High School was a seasonal FF and finally got hired on full time. He's now a station commander at a Fire Department in Italy through the Government.

We (Vails Gate) held a Battalion-4 FAST drill a few months back and West Point was there. One of the guys there was preparing to go to Italy as well to work over there as a FF. Really neat opportunity.

Anyone know what the starting and top salaries are for a WP Firefighter?

Starting is 60,000.00 Top salaries about 80,000.00 Without Locality pay. No seasonal employment this year to Budget issues. Min maning is 15 Firefighter's out of 3 Stations

Starting is 60,000.00 Top salaries about 80,000.00 Without Locality pay. No seasonal employment this year to Budget issues. Min maning is 15 Firefighter's out of 3 Stations

va...thanks for the info, didnt realize no seasonal this year. Nice sign that theyre hiring a full-time FF though.

Wow, pretty impressive salary. Kind of pissed i let my EMT cert go and never went through the DOD courses.

Best of luck to those that apply.

x129K likes this

Can I still apply if I just have New York State Certs?

Can I still apply if I just have New York State Certs?

You can apply - but I doubt you will get very far with just NYS certs. I know when I applied to a similar job they requested my SSN so that they could verify my certs.