Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nycemt326

9/11 First Responders Left Out of 10th-Anniversary Event

10 posts in this topic

President Obama will be there. So will former president George W. Bush and former New York City mayor Rudolph Giuliani. And, of course, the current mayor, Michael Bloomberg, will attend.

But Sept. 11 first responders, the emergency workers who helped with the rescue and recovery efforts 10 years ago, will be denied entry to the 9/11 National Memorial on the 10th anniversary of the attacks.

Unfreaking believable. This city loves to crap all over first responders every chance they get unless it's an election year.

JP59 likes this

Just another insult to those who sacrificed so much. The city has no shame.

What a slap in the face! Why aren't they allowed entry???

They claim there is no room with all the construction, and added security since Obama is coming. Just another slap in the face we have to endure. Douchebags :angry:

Lets take the passion out of this for a minute.

At best the City handled this latest development poorly. What did the NJ Daily News quote as the number for responders to the WTC....roughly 91,000. Even if you halfed that number that's 45,000 people. There is no way the area around the WTC could currently handle 45,000 people and have it not be a logistical nightmare. I was at the WTC on 9/11 and in the two weeks following, had collegues that died and rarely discuss or mention it. I have never had a desire to feel I needed to be there every 9/11 and I don't have a burning desire to be there this September 11. Hopefully when the Memorial opens to will provide a suitable setting for remembrance but basically the WTC area is what it is intended to be, a construction site for now. Let the date be for the family members of those killed on 9/11. With 343 FDNY, 23 NYPD, and 37 PANYNJPD and those from the other public safety agencies, those families should be the representatives of the uniformed services. I can go to the WTC any time of th day or night to make my peace.

The families of those lost should be present on this milestone day. It should not be a political Dog and Pony Show..

Those of us that spent countless hours, and unfortunately became ill or some cases died from the exposure of numerous toxins down there should be acknowledged on this day as well. I understand you cant physically fit all the people, but they certainly should be acknowledged for thier efforts on this day.

I think NJMedic covered it as well as it can be. Its about the lost ones and those they left behind, not the ones who went to help, whose actions have been acknowledged but for which no special recognition should be necessary. That was the job then, its the job now and its not supposed to be about recognition. To approach it otherwise, I think, diminishes the selfless acts of so many professionals and volunteers who came for no other reason than the instinct within them to help.

The families of those lost should be present on this milestone day. It should not be a political Dog and Pony Show..

But every time a politician stays away they get s*** on for forgetting or not caring.

As much as I hate this, in all seriousness what are the city's options?? Go down there and take a look at the site. They will already be shutting down construction on the 10th through all of the 11th and resuming, I believe during the day shift on the 12th. Go down there and look at the site, the changes in the last year alone are staggering. If they just allowed the municipal responders your talking over 3,000 people plus the victim families. Then there's how many other people that responded in to work on the piles and in the landfill? The 10 year anniversary is going to bring out far more people than normal. So where would you draw the line? What about all the survivors?? Who better deserves access that day, the Cantor Fitzgerald trader who lost friends and co-workers of 20 years or the 20 y/o volunteer firefighter who knew a guy OTJ with FDNY that went from a few hours cleaning rigs at Red Square to handing out tools and body bags on Liberty Street (me)? I'm lucky, none of my friends or family have been killed or sickened by that horrible day. That has sadly not been enough to insulated me from the horrors of that day and the deaths that continue to stalk the people who selflessly served in the ensuing months.

Technically I'm a 9/11 responder. On of the thousands indignant over the city's snub. However I absolutely in no way shape or form am more deserving of a spot there than the families of people like FDNY Medic Deborah Reeve, EMS Lt Brian Ellicott, FF John McNamara, FF Roy Chelson, Det Joseph Vigiano, PO Stephen Driscoll, and Detective James Zadroga. Worst of all, these are just a small portion of the members who have died and most are still not recognized. Where is that outrage?! That these brave men and women are still fighting to get their illnesses covered and benefits transferred to loved ones. Where is that thread?? Instead everyone who showed up and was lucky enough to walk away unscathed and maintain their health is up in arms over this perceived slight.

Sorry for the long rambling thread, but my point is there is truly a finite amount of space. In recent years it wasn't much of an issue as attendance has dropped, however restrictions to maintain focus on the families have always been in place. So what alternatives do you propose? A three day ceremony so that all can attend? Relocate the ceremony to a venue that can accommodate everyone? This is an emotional event but lets try and act with logic.