Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

One Year Anniversary Tarrytown LODD

8 posts in this topic

With the one year anniversary of the loss of Tarrytown Firefighters John Kelly and Anthony Ruggiero approaching (9-6-11), I am starting this thread to find out how this incident has affected other members of the Emergency Services community.

How has this affected you personally?

How has this changed the way your agency operates (if at all)?

Personally, during the year since this incident, I have attended the Confined Space Awareness class and the Hazardous Materials First Responder Operations level training.If this thread fills out the way I hope it will, I will share some other thoughts I have attempted over the course of this past year.

RIP John & Anthony

efdcapt115 likes this

This has affected me big time. I've gotten so depressed over this. Not a day goes by that I don't think of Anthony, and look at his pictures. He was my oldest friend, and pretty much the first friend I ever had. We have a Facebook memorial group for him with a bunch of pictures and I'm on there many times a day. Here's a link below if anyone cares to join the group. His family wanted it private, so just send a request and we'll add you.

In Loving Memory of Anthony J. Ruggiero Jr.

R.I.P. Anthony J. Ruggiero Jr. and John P. Kelly.

sfrd18, FF398, efdcapt115 and 1 other like this

This has affected me big time. I've gotten so depressed over this. Not a day goes by that I don't think of Anthony, and look at his pictures. He was my oldest friend, and pretty much the first friend I ever had. We have a Facebook memorial group for him with a bunch of pictures and I'm on there many times a day. Here's a link below if anyone cares to join the group. His family wanted it private, so just send a request and we'll add you.

In Loving Memory of Anthony J. Ruggiero Jr.

R.I.P. Anthony J. Ruggiero Jr. and John P. Kelly.

Hey guy,

Hard to believe it's been a year already since this happened. You sound like it's really effected you big time. I hope you've gotten some stress debriefing in the time since this tragedy. Yes, you have to grieve, but you also have a life to live, people you're responsible for, and you have to go on with your life. Take your grief and turn it into something positive if you can. More training for your members, continued stress debriefings, there's many things you can do so you don't get bogged down and over-run by the continued grief. I know EXACTLY how you feel my friend. The memory of that day, of your Brothers will not and should not go away. But, you personally can take the lead in illustrating to others that you CAN go on, you can live even though they have died.

God Bless and May your Brothers not have died in vain. Keep their memory alive through positive things.

x129K likes this

RIP John and Anthony you guys will never be forgotten! <3

How has this affected you personally?

How has this changed the way your agency operates (if at all)?

As tragic as this incident was, I can't say that it has affected me personally at all and it hasn't changed the way we operate at confined space jobs.

RIP bros

RIP. Hopefully, in their heroic actions, they have all taught us lessons for the future.