Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snkbitn

9/11 Tribute in Light

14 posts in this topic

I am looking for information for good locations to view the "Tribute in Light". I know many of you have photographed them from a State Park in New Jersey. I was looking for other locations that may be just as good.

Thanks

Nothing compares to Liberty, and more specifically the photos that made it here last year. Hands down the best photos of the tribute I've ever seen.

I am looking for information for good locations to view the "Tribute in Light". I know many of you have photographed them from a State Park in New Jersey. I was looking for other locations that may be just as good.

Thanks

Chris,

The park is Liberty State Park which is located off Exit 14B of the turnpike..... Any city along the river such as Hoboken or Jersey City offer good vantage points to see the tribute.... Here are a few photos of the walkway at Liberty State Park. I suspect it may be pretty crowded here this year.....

i-95mVZqN-X2.jpg

Looking south the LSP visitor center is to the right..... You can see several photographers lined up.....

i-QjwCq5Q-XL.jpg

Looking to the north..... I believe that is the Goldman-Sachs building on Exchange Place in Hoboken..... Again there are a few more photographers lined up....

i-FrvjRG4-X2.jpg

And here is a shot looking straight across to Manhattan.

The other popular spot is at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge at the park referred to as "DUMBO" which stands for Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass......

i-NtqC5rQ-X2.jpg

Here's what it looks like from DUMBO.....

i-Td2W4tH-X2.jpg

And here is a shot showing both the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges.....I have been here when there were so many photographers lined up that I had to set my camera up on the rocks that line the river, and shoot with the rats running around my feet.....

Lastly, here's a few links about the tribute that you may find useful.....

Wikipedia entry about the Towers of Light Tribute and a few other articles......... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribute_in_Light

Good NPR Article - "9/11 Light Tribute Still Dazzles; Future Cloudy" http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=140154497

Trapped birds - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8005051/10000-birds-trapped-in-Twin-Towers-memorial-light.html

The Municipal Art Society of New York Tribute Info..... http://mas.org/programs/tributeinlight/

http://mas.org/tribute-in-light-nyc-wtc-memorial-future-funding-donate/

A quote from the organizers -

"As New York prepares to commemorate the tenth anniversary of September 11, 2001, MAS is once again setting up for its presentation of Tribute in Light. The majestic beams of light will illuminate the Lower Manhattan sky beginning at dusk on Sunday, September 11, and fading with the dawn on Monday."

Flikr group for TOL photos..... http://www.flickr.com/groups/til/

Edited by Photounit
billy98988 and Monty like this

Bill, your information, and photographs, and photographic skills never cease to amaze... absolutely stunning...

Bill, is the DUMBO shot yours? Is that coloration post processing? Filters? How???

Edited by Doc

Thanks Nate!...... Doc, yes the DUMBO shot is mine...... I did this awhile ago and if I remember, it's an HDR image..... It is made up of multiple images of the same composition taken at different exposures values and then blended together to combine the "best parts" of each image into one..... The resulting image is often very saturated and often look surreal...... I'm not a huge fan of HDR imaging because usually the images look phony but I liked the colors on this one..... One of the major improvements I want to see in digital cameras is in their dynamic range which is basically their ability to capture detail from the weakest to brightest light levels. "HDR" and "tone mapping" are two post processing techniques which are often used to increase the dynamic range of an image beyond what a normal camera can provide......

If anybody else knows of a good spot to see/photograph the tribute, please share it.....

Edited by Photounit

These pics don't compare to Bill's, but thought I would share them anyway. This was taken on 9/11/03. Here is a shot of the spotlights before being lit.

Scott

post-1819-0-80243300-1315589045.jpg

And a pic from next to the lights looking up, 9/11/03. A different perspective.

Scott

post-1819-0-69223700-1315589432.jpg

x129K likes this

Another shot, 9/11/03. Scott

post-1819-0-07896000-1315589608.jpg

Edited by JScott128
x129K likes this

These pics don't compare to Bill's, but thought I would share them anyway. This was taken on 9/11/03. Here is a shot of the spotlights before being lit.

Scott

Scott, Thanks for posing these!!!!! I have seen similar shots but the first one really gives you a good idea of what the technology is behind the "Towers of Light" Did you happen to see/get a picture of the large generators that power the lights? They supposedly run on recycled cooking oil..... Did you smell Chinese food when you were there? :D

Yeah, honestly, I'm in awe of Bill's artistry with the camera.

x129K likes this

Any good places in Westchester? Tarrytown along the Hudson maybe?

Scott, Thanks for posing these!!!!! I have seen similar shots but the first one really gives you a good idea of what the technology is behind the "Towers of Light" Did you happen to see/get a picture of the large generators that power the lights? They supposedly run on recycled cooking oil..... Did you smell Chinese food when you were there? :D

The photo is blurry, but you can see the white generators on the right. It had "GE Energy Rentals" on the side of it. I don't remember it smelling like cooking oil, but it was 8 years ago, either I have forgotten or they weren't as "eco-friendly" then.

Scott

post-1819-0-93881500-1315607641.jpg

Scott, thanks for posting this too..... They are huge genenrators...... I believe each lamp draws 15000 watts so we are talking an enormus power draw for the whole display. They only became Eco-friendly recently so they weren't using the cooking oil back then hence why you didn't notice the unique odor.