Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Deadly-force simulator puts cops in real-world situations

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone used this simulator? What do you think of it?

Deadly-force simulator puts cops in real-world situations

Written by

Will David 11:28 PM, Sep. 20, 2011

TUCKAHOE — Police Officer James Kennedy approaches a man on the sidewalk who is wanted for questioning in a homicide. Kennedy asks to see the fidgety man's identification.

The man does not respond to Kennedy's inquiries. Then he abruptly points his left hand in one direction and reaches in the back of his pants with his right hand, pulling out a handgun.

With four quick shots from the service weapon Kennedy has been holding to his side, he puts the man down.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.lohud.com/article/20110921/NEWS02/109210327/Deadly-force-simulator-puts-cops-real-world-situations?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

I used it back in 2000 while working in Colorado. The S.O. even took it to the local mall for a recruiting event to show it off right after they got it. Back then it was too video game feeling. It was great in concept but graphix and lag made it a joke. Hopefully they have work these issues out since it could make a great training tool.

x635 likes this

I've had experience using this machine, it's a great learning tool for shoot don't shoot situations. My father when he was a firearms instructor for Eastchester used this machine and during that time so did I. It goes through a multitude of situations; for example theres a call for a armed suspect that has barricaded himself in a 3rd floor apt you are on the stairwell just below, the suspect come out of the apt with the weapon and you give the order to drop the weapon he does not do so and raises the weapon towards you, you then shoot the supsect ending the scenario. Tthis one aslo has 2 other endings same scenario, same thing except instead of an armed suspect out comes a child with a cap gun or out comes the suspect who complies with the order to drop the weapon and surrender. But the scenario i explained was from several years ago but the same principal is being taught with this one I believe.

x635 likes this

Has anyone used this simulator? What do you think of it?

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.lohud.com...|text|Frontpage

The Westchester County Police Academy has had one of these for years - probably 10 or more. Every cop trained by the academy has been through this simulator and through a multitude of training simulations including simunitions where "rounds" are actually exchanged.

It is a very useful piece of equipment and has a real value in training tactics, decision making, and other things that simply can't be taught in the classroom.

Wouldn't it make more sense to put it at the Police Academy so everyone can benefit from it? I mean how many cops are there in Tuckahoe, Bronxville, Eastchester, and Pelham? 100? 125? And there are how many who go to the police academy?

Just more fiefdoms.

Wouldn't it make more sense to put it at the Police Academy so everyone can benefit from it? I mean how many cops are there in Tuckahoe, Bronxville, Eastchester, and Pelham? 100? 125? And there are how many who go to the police academy?

Just more fiefdoms.

First, this simulator was purchased using proceeds from Grant money, not the Department's operating budget. Second, the County Police Academy does already have one of these simulators, but it is not always readily available. Third, Police Officers will be more apt to use this piece of equipment when it is readily available for their use at their Headquarters, instead of having to attempt to schedule availability for the Police Academy's FATS Simulator. The more Police Officers who utilize this training resource leads to a group of higher trained, higher skilled, combat conditioned Police Officers who possess a sharper set of "split-second" decision making capabilities then Police Officers who do not take advantage of this training resource that has been made available to them. Plus I applaud Tuckahoe Police Department for making this training tool available to the surrounding agencies, far from the fiefdom syndrome that you suggest in your post. If you ask me, grant money spent very wisely on an invaluable training tool.

Approximate Manpower by Department(info obtained from internet searches):

Tuckahoe: 24

Bronxville: 23

Eastchester: 51

Pelham: 28

Approximate total of 126 Officers

Edited by JJB531
Just a guy and ptwatson like this

The Westchester County Police Academy has had one of these for years - probably 10 or more. Every cop trained by the academy has been through this simulator and through a multitude of training simulations including simunitions where "rounds" are actually exchanged.

It is a very useful piece of equipment and has a real value in training tactics, decision making, and other things that simply can't be taught in the classroom.

They didn't use or have it in 2001! As 1 of our give back days, we do a live Simmunitions training(which I was so,so lucky to do last night--sarcasm) with different scenarios as if we were doing real calls at work. Most of the time we try and get male/female participants who we don't know to make it as real as possible. I did try the old F.A.T.S system at the West PA back in 1999 or 2000. It was pretty good, but more realistic when there are simmunitions being fired at you. We have added On/off Duty PD confrontations. Very interesting how things work out!

I forgot to add, an agency down here uses this tool as a recruitment test. I found that pretty interesting.

When the County first got their machine they lent it to Yonkers for awhile and I remember using it back then and it was set up on our range of all places.

I then used the county machine again during the plainclothes encounters course I took at the police academy.

We now have our own FATS machine which I will be using tonight and tomorrow during my inservice. We also have a brand new driving simulator which I will be using over the next too days also.

The simulations are real and get your adrenaline pumping.

As far as smaller jobs getting their own FATS machines, I think it's important on a few levels. First, it's a morale booster, cops like knowing that the department is spending money( grant or otherwise) on equipment. Second, in the bigger cities, we have plenty of jobs that get the adrenaline flowing so we are used to the feeling and how to deal with the stress response but in the smaller towns, it may not happen that often so it is very important for those guys to do these simulations so they stay accostomed to that feeling of a full adrenaline rush at a heavy job so you know what to expect and how to deal with it.

It has NOTHING to do with being a feifdom, it has EVERYTHING to do with making sure your cops (no matter how many are in the department) are trained and ready for anything no matter where they work

x635 likes this

Just a follow up to my post of Yesterday, Last night I had in service and I had the opportunity to use the Doron driving simulator and the FATS machine.

The driving simulator is an exact mockup of the inside of the radio car including computer and radios. There are 6 screens to give you a panoramic view as you are driving. THe machine reacts exactly as a car would. We were only doing accident avoidance drills but it was still very good.

The fats machine was unreal. I am told that the machine we have is top of the line. This is the closest thing to being in a real situation. They even gave us a flashlight to use and when the scenario started it was in a dark stairwell but when I turned the flashlight on, it lit the screen up just as it would in reality.

The machine has a debrief mode where you replay the scene and it tells you your shot placement, and how long it took you to react to the first shot from the suspect.

There are also no shoot scenarios, double threat scenarios. etc....

This training is some of the best that I have had in 13 years and I hope to get some more time on the machine in the near future

bfd34180 likes this