Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Testing Pace Cars on Colorado Highways

7 posts in this topic

Very interesting idea but only time will tell. Would this work in the tri-state?

Second test of pace cars on I-70 goes smoothly

SILVERTHORNE, Colo. (AP) — Colorado transportation officials say a second test of using pace cars to reduce congestion on Interstate 70 in the mountains has gone smoothly.

Full Article

post-17100-0-28996800-1317093379.jpg

Photo courtesy of CBS 4 Denver News

Other Articles:

Denver Post

CBS 4 Denver

Edited by firedude

Very interesting idea but only time will tell. Would this work in the tri-state?

Full Article

post-17100-0-28996800-1317093379.jpg

Photo courtesy of CBS 4 Denver News

Other Articles:

Denver Post

CBS 4 Denver

Seems a bit like the variable speed limits they have in the UK. Basically on some highways, notably the M25 ring road around London, they adjust the speed limit according to traffic flow. Rather than the accordion / shockwave effect of people speeding up, then braking and causing more people to brake harder, they move the limit down. http://www.dft.gov.uk/itstoolkit/CaseStudies/m25-controlled-motorway.htm

One difference there is the number of speed cameras used to deter people from ignoring the limits. Basically, the registered owner of the car gets points and a fine if caught by a speed camera. Unless they can prove someone else was driving and then they get the penalties! Can't see that flying over here .....

Is this similar to the "rolling roadblocks" that they do in other states. I know in California and Virginia if there is a disabled vehicle in a lane, or debris on the roadway, they have either the State Police or DOT enter the highway at a point before the obstruction and weave across all lanes to slow down the traffic. It wouldn't suprise me if they also do that for congestion.

I also know the Port Authority does the same thing at the Lincoln Tunnel. When the tunnel is getting crowded they change the traffic lights to red for a few minutes to prevent more traffic from entering until it starts clearing out.

I-4 through Orlando has variable speed limits depending on time-of-day, weather conditions, and traffic flow. Honestly, it does nothing to help with traffic. People are still texting, picking their nose, or otherwise doing anything they possibly can to slow traffic down.

efdcapt115 likes this

I-4 through Orlando has variable speed limits depending on time-of-day, weather conditions, and traffic flow. Honestly, it does nothing to help with traffic. People are still texting, picking their nose, or otherwise doing anything they possibly can to slow traffic down.

Were you following me the other day??? How did you know I was picking my nose texting, ect...damn I need darker window tint!!!!! :lol:

Seriously, I-95 definitely needs something like this, I drive from New Haven at the Q-Bridge (Pearl Harbor Memorial) out to I-395 every day to and from work. People just don't know how to drive nor do the correct speed limit. Needless to say they stomp on their breaks as soon as they come around those sharp turns and walla!!!! Instant backup!