Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFDRes47cue

DFW - Airplane Strikes Airport Ladder Truck

18 posts in this topic

Rig placement.

Article

The incident started when a passenger on American Airlines Flight 611 from Charlotte, N.C., had a diabetic emergency Thursday. A doctor and nurse who happened to be on board were helping the passenger, who was lying in the aisle, James Markus said.

The firetruck with medics was waiting at a Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport gate when the jet's wing struck the truck.

If not the entire rig, at least the aerial portion needs to be replaced.

The truck was placed as per protocol at the airport (which they do many,many times with inbound medicals), in the fire lane. Keep in mind, the Quint is staffed with Paramedics who can access the plane much faster then DFW*EMS. The AA jet clipped the stationary quint while making a turn towards the gate.

Unfortunately, these "clips" at airports are becoming far to common nowadays.

Here's a photo of Quint 25, the rig damaged in the incident, pre damage:

http://x635photos.com/displayimage-2412.html

And some more info on DFW DPS:

http://www.dfwairport.com/dps/index.php

I can't find anywhere in the article if the aircraft was taxing under it's own power or was being towed to the gate by a tug. Either way, the ground crew certainly screwed up by not having a wing marshall walk the plane in. I would also think that a Pierce Fire truck is better built and mantained than an American Airlines MD-80! :lol:

Edited by firedude

DFW Airport Fire Rescue was notified of the diabetic emergency, and dispatched Quint 25 to the gate. Quint 25 was parked in the fire lane waiting for the AA plane to arrive. The pilot was turning the plane to park at the gate when he hit the turn table portion of the Quint with the right wing. D'OH!! :blink:

If not the entire rig, at least the aerial portion needs to be replaced.

Why? At first glance it appears the damage is to the pedestal controls.

I can't find anywhere in the article if the aircraft was taxing under it's own power or was being towed to the gate by a tug. Either way, the ground crew certainly screwed up by not having a wing marshall walk the plane in. I would also think that a Pierce Fire truck is better built and mantained than an American Airlines MD-80! :lol:

Planes don't have wing walkers on the way into a gate unless under tow.

Hey now! This will result in an FAA investigation? The PILOT and CO-PILOT will have a lot to answer for. As for the Quint, i would assume that hitting the rear of the ladder at the turntable could result in other forces being exerted on the turntable mounting to the body and frame of the truck. Ladder total. Turntable possible. Mountings to body. How about hydraulic locks? Ladder cradles? Lets not forget the jet$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$? Could also be a total because of forces exerted? They could be looking for new jobs? Maybe AIR ALASKA?

Planes don't have wing walkers on the way into a gate unless under tow.

Yes, they do. When the plane it taxiing in under its own power, there is 1 person on each wing, 1 person on the chocks and 1 on the line dirrecting the pilot. This is required by the FAA for tarmac safety. This is not required for general aviation.

This is how it is done...

Edited by firedude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's how it's supposed to be done... doesn't mean they always do....

Edited by voltage1256
firedude likes this

Yes, they do. When the plane it taxiing in under its own power, there is 1 person on each wing, 1 person on the chocks and 1 on the line dirrecting the pilot. This is required by the FAA for tarmac safety. This is not required for general aviation.

I take back what I said, yes it is an FAA requirement, but I have been on the ramp of many terminals, and I can say with confidence, that the only two people paying attention are the Line Marshaller, and the chock guy just to make sure he is out of the way. The wing walkers are most of the time, A: not there, or B: sitting on the baggage equipment. It's the same way with when your backing an apparatus, if you can't see them, stop, until you can.

This was a pretty obvious wingstrike. Do you think a (competent)wingwalker was there? Kinda hard to miss a big yellow firetruck.

Edited by newsbuff
firedude and FF398 like this

Hey now! This will result in an FAA investigation? The PILOT and CO-PILOT will have a lot to answer for. As for the Quint, i would assume that hitting the rear of the ladder at the turntable could result in other forces being exerted on the turntable mounting to the body and frame of the truck. Ladder total. Turntable possible. Mountings to body. How about hydraulic locks? Ladder cradles? Lets not forget the jet$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$? Could also be a total because of forces exerted? They could be looking for new jobs? Maybe AIR ALASKA?

It was an accident. I love the maybe the Pilot and FO will be looking for new jobs stuff as if youre bullet proof BTW Alaskan Air is one of the best airlines in the country

It's probably the first time the pilot has pulled into a gate with a 12ft tall ladder truck waiting. Once he has completed his turn he has no way of seing the wing approaching the turntable.

I'm glad no one was hurt and that the airport had the resources to provide swift ALS for the afflicted...

I always wondered......why do the service trucks around the ramp (such as the pickups, vans, etc), even the newer ones, look so beat up? They look like they've crashed into just about everything.

Also, incidents like this are becoming more and more common. Fortunately, this was just a very expensive "fender bender".

From what I am told, the truck is being examined and tested by Pierce, and the damage so far only appears minor (turntable controls, cosmetic sheetmetal, rails). They are already pondering ideas for a new graphic on the truck.

They get a lot of money from American Airlines, as they are headquartered in the DFW area and DFW PD-FD-EMS)is their main airport. Also, DFW is larger then some Westchester towns and cities, so these trucks run not only airplane related issues, but all airside structural, EMS, and all other types of responses.

Really just quite the unfortunate situation. I don't think its fair to say these pilots are out of a job, how can you expect two people with a view of whats ahead of them and slightly side to side to see the fire truck way behind them? I think when AA looks into why they now have an MD80 being repaired for as Seth said a "Fender Bender" it will come down to lack of communication on the ground operations crews' behalf. firedude's video depicts a perfect scenario that is pretty much only seen in Europe these days with marshallers. Over here, its more like the guy front and center and 1 guy near each wing tip looking at their shoes, not the aircraft....

I always wondered......why do the service trucks around the ramp (such as the pickups, vans, etc), even the newer ones, look so beat up? They look like they've crashed into just about everything.

They look like crap cause they treat them like crap!

Ive seen that happen leaving quarters, just reattach the pedestal controls and back to work. Seriously. If the wing hit the aerial it would have been torn off.

Ive seen that happen leaving quarters, just reattach the pedestal controls and back to work. Seriously. If the wing hit the aerial it would have been torn off.

You've seen a ladder truck being struck by an aircraft while leaving quarters? :lol:

x129K likes this

Well the doors were heavy wood, much stronger than aluminum lol Now it would be like an airliner. Just put the stick up see if you are leaking any fluid, if not, reattach and get it put back on right. The big deal is that someone could have been killed cause of someone refusing to ask for help.