Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brenman1988

Helmet Choice

26 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy a new helmet. I currently have a department issued Ben 2. I am looking for a lightweight helmet. I narrowed my search down to the Cairns 1010, Cairns 1044, and Bullard USTM6. After to talking to others they suggested the 1010 or 1044.

I am now looking to decide which one is better (comfort, durability, etc.). Also, what is the difference between the two?

What helmet would you recomend and why? Also,do you know any information on both?

Thank you in advance

Brendan

The Ben 2 is a nice helmet. We use Cairns and over the past few years, the 1044 has been our choice. Fits nicely on the ol' noggin.

But if you got the moola, go leather.

The Cairns 1010 and 1044 are both good helmets, and of course the N5A New Yorker if you really want traditional.

But if you got the moola, go leather.

Definitely! Leather forever!

Edited by sfrd18
x129K likes this

The 1044 & 1010 are the same helmet. Same ride, same weight. The difference is the 1010 has the final paint coat so it is a shiny finish as oppose to a flat finish. (for anyone that wants to split hairs, yes that coat of paint makes minor differences)

The 1044 is offered in less colors but looks saltier, yes that matters to some purchasers.

As per the Ben vs a 1044. The 1044 has a little bigger brim, pro & con. Some feel rides a little higher, but thats just usually the guys who don't adjust the suspension. Also the front holders are different by design. The Ben's are rigid and designed solid, the Cairn's are designed to act as a "crumble zone". Heard guys complain that holder is bent after something impacted the helmet, if it hadn't it would have directly impacted the helmet.

I am issued a Ben and personally blame it on me having a herniated disc from a ceiling collapse. The Ben is a solidly built helmet, pro & con. In my case a con because it transfered all of the force down onto my neck.

The Cairns is designed with rubber straps integrated to the impact cap. This design transfers the force within the helmet until it basically exceeds the helmet shell. This design also incorporates a shell release which because my impact was not a direct top him would have helped me.

A feature that the Cairns has over the Ben in some people's eyes is the Defender visor which is integrated with the impact cap. Again pro & con but a nice option to have available.

If money is not an issue and safety is the priority then the helmet to look at is the Cairns 1000.

sfrd18 likes this

Get the 1044 which I think is the NFPA version of the old 880. Make sure you get those defender eye shields in it.

1044 is not a bad choice. Comfortable.

I use that with my second set behind the old N5A.

N5A is always a good choice if you want to spend a good bit.

N5A if you want Tradition and an OSHA compliant helmet. N6A Houston if you want Tradition and possibility of a NFPA certified leather helmet. That actually raised a good point if you are going to spring for a leather or different model, check with the correct authority to find out what is acceptable. It would suck to drop $215 - $600 on a helmet that you are told you can't wear.

Also, beware some helmets on sale from some helmet warehouses are on sale because the are not new. What I mean is new in box but sitting on shelf for years, NFPA 1851 is based on manufacture date not sold date.

My hometown department issues us 1010's but seem to be very slowly but surely moving over to 1044's. I have never had an issue with comfort or safety with the 1010. Like on poster said, the front mounts are easily damaged and are riveted in so this makes them a little more difficult to replace. I personally prefer the unfinished look of the 1044.

My mutual-aid department issues us the Ben2. This is a pretty large helmet but I can not complain about it. It is comfortable to wear, has the unfinished look, and the front mounts can easily be replaced, but are sturdy so they don't often need to be replaced.

Stay safe.

Just purchased a Phenix TL2. With goggles attached it gets the NFPA cert. All in all, great helmet so far. Good fit, ride height and covers the required certifications without the weight. I opted to remove the goggles after passing inspection since I always use safety glasses anyway.

Any comparison between the 1010,1044 or the USTM6?

I'm in the same boat for getting a new helmet

Thank you for all the replies. I am not interested in nor do i have the money for a leather so my decision is between the 1010 and the 1044.

I was told the only difference between the 1010 and 1044 is if the 1010 chips or scratches far enough down its not painted all the way though it will show white but the 1044 is painted all the way through and what ever color the helmet is is what you will see if it becomes severly scratched or chipped. I have a 1010 and i love the thing.

ben 2 plus by far. it sits a little high on your head and takes getting used to, but after a while you wouldn't want any thing else. the suspension system in my opinion is superior to cairns. also the way it fits on my head just feels more natural. it really depends on your head i guess.

The 1010 & 1044 are both colored thru the mold. The old 1010s, think 10+ years if scratched or chipped would show the white fiberglass body.

My job issues me a Ben 2 which I wear and like. I like the long chin strap that allows me to don my facepiece through it. What I like about the Cairns helmets is the defender visor. I will admit I have never worn it but the concept is great. The visor stays protected from scratches and soot so it is actually there when you need it. They actually change our bourkes for us but it's useless they get black in a few months. You can even get the Cairns with the defender and the bourkes so you can have the look and the function.

I run with a 1044 issued by my dept, and have a personal 1010. Both are good, I just like the finished look of the 1010 better. Not a fan of the defender eye shields, don't fit over my specs. If you are looking for light weight, both are fine, but as ugly as they are the old 660 is the lightest.

I had a 1044 defender and hated it. The eye shield came down and rested on the bridge of my nose. I'm currently wearing a Paul Conway American Classic. It's a lot heavier than the Cairins but is also more comfortable and sits better on the head. I would recommend the Conway if you don't mind the weight. If you do mind the weight than go with a 1010

The 1010 and the 1044 are made from completely different materials.

Stick with a Ben 2 or an N5A and you wont be disappointed.

I run a 1010 at work, but also I still have a N5A. I've worn both through the years.

The 1010 & 1044 are the same material, its the 1000 & 880 that is different.

From the MSA/Cairns website:

1044: Rugged, through color DuraGlas® fiberglass composite shell resists chipping and cracking

1010: Tough DuraGlas® fiberglass composite shell painted with a hardcoat paint finish

1000: Extreme protection, includes 2-layers of Kevlar composite for superior cut and penetration resistance

880: Tough, thermoplastic shell for everyday durability