Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Why Are Pin Jobs An Engine Company Gig?

5 posts in this topic

I know Engines respond to MVA's.

But in theory, if there is no Rescue company, shouldn't a truck company be responsible for extrication or "pin ins"? It is more related to truck company disciplines after all.

I know Engines respond to MVA's.

But in theory, if there is no Rescue company, shouldn't a truck company be responsible for extrication or "pin ins"? It is more related to truck company disciplines after all.

Well first thing Seth, if a dept has the resources, it should be both, an engine to protect, and a truck to extricate.

Well first thing Seth, if a dept has the resources, it should be both, an engine to protect, and a truck to extricate.

Agreed. Always thought having the truck company on a pin was a plus. Ladders make a great road block.

With the invention of the saying, "do more with less" and the rescue engine, many departments said, "why not bring the protection and tools on one rig". Should they be separate, absolutely. But with cuts to manpower, or it just not showing up at all, this is what the end result has been.

I have been on many calls where you pull the tools off the bumper, the hose off the crosslay, and hope the positioning is right so it blocks traffic.

Today's fire service - "Doing more with less"

An engine with a tool can do extrication, hoseline protection, AND block traffic...the bean counters see this done and don't see any reason to send a "big, huge, cumbersome, deisel sucking, ladder truck".

I guess it makes no matter that a vast majority of today's engines are staffed with 1 or 2 guys....to them.