Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

What are PD's doing at the end of the Crown Vic Era?

7 posts in this topic

I'd like to know what departments plan to do after the CVPI is no longer available. Are PD's looking at the Chevrolet Caprice PPVor the Ford Police Interceptor, for example? If you were in charge, what would you do?

Chevrolet Caprice PPV

post-17100-0-90486300-1324176843.jpg

Ford Police Interceptor

post-17100-0-10014700-1324176867.jpg

Both photo courtesy of Motor Trend

Edited by firedude
sfrd18 likes this

I'd like to know what departments plan to do after the CVPI is no longer available. Are PD's looking at the Chevrolet Caprice PPVor the Ford Police Interceptor, for example? If you were in charge, what would you do?

Chevrolet Caprice PPV

post-17100-0-90486300-1324176843.jpg

Ford Police Interceptor

post-17100-0-10014700-1324176867.jpg

Both photo courtesy of Motor Trend

The dodge charger seems to have faded out. Thought that was going to take off pretty well but havn't seen any of the new ones around here.

The dodge charger seems to have faded out. Thought that was going to take off pretty well but havn't seen any of the new ones around here.

As far as I know, State Police never really liked em due to the lack of space. While they are 10 second cars (as are the crown vics), they don't have the space the crown vics do which means they can't take as many supplies which are essential given the distance they cover and length of time they spend in their cruisers.

As far as I know, State Police never really liked em due to the lack of space. While they are 10 second cars (as are the crown vics), they don't have the space the crown vics do which means they can't take as many supplies which are essential given the distance they cover and length of time they spend in their cruisers.

My father (a police captian) said the same thing... not much space. The newer ones (2011 when the body was changed) have more space than the previous years. The chrysler corp, or should i say FIAT, have done some great things with all the cars for the 2011 year and up. The charger has gone under the most renovation especially the police version. (I sell chrysler dodge jeep and ram so I have been able to see these first hand and think they are much better now than the ford or chevy.)

While they are 10 second cars (as are the crown vics)

You sure? I don't even think a Lamborghini Guillardo can do the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds.

We took delivery of our last crown vics and are spacing them out longer than previously. We have no cars budgeted for next year and will make necessary repairs to keep the fleet going. We have a 7/70 replacement system that we might change to 7/100k since the cars have 70k after only 3 or 4 years. I personally like the Charger most of the 3. I also see that there is a new styled Explorer that might be a future consideration.

You sure? I don't even think a Lamborghini Guillardo can do the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds.

Ford Motor Company's venerable Crown Victoria P71 police interceptor package for 2009 comes with a 4.6 liter modified Ford V8. The 250 horsepower P71 is sturdy, reliable and fast, producing 297 lb.-ft. of torque for impressive acceleration. The P71's are electronically limited to 120 mph, for the 3:55:1 rear axle ration version and 135 mph for the 3:27:1 rear axle ratio. In acceleration tests conducted by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, Ford's two 2006 Crown Vic PPV's, the 3.27 and 3.55 liter V8's tested at 8.44 and 8.58 seconds going from 0 to 60 mph respectively. The two Ford's had a top speed of 128 and 120 mph due to the electronic speed limiting that the P71 uses to protect the vehicle's rear end and transmission.

Read more: How Fast Do Police Cars Go? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5207957_fast-do-police-cars-go_.html#ixzz1guIY0Ili

The 2009 Dodge Charger police package is a rear wheel drive sedan powered by a 368 horsepower Hemi V8 engine generating 395 lb.--ft. of torque. The Charger PPV package tested out at a top speed of 146 mph and took 8.63 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in LA County's acceleration tests.

Read more: How Fast Do Police Cars Go? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5207957_fast-do-police-cars-go_.html#ixzz1guImW1rI