Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Short firefighter

16 posts in this topic

I would be interested to learn if the other equipment e.g. scott pak, etc have to be specially made or modified for him also. Based on the info in the article he appears capable to perform the job and kudos for the department for not turning him away but embracing him. Nice find Cap.

FF/Paramedic and Katonah FD LT Jeff Waful ran circles around some guys during FFII down at WCFTC 2 years ago. And other than maybe his turnout gear, he used the same SCBA and everything as everyone else.

JohnnyOV likes this

FF/Paramedic and Katonah FD LT Jeff Waful ran circles around some guys during FFII down at WCFTC 2 years ago. And other than maybe his turnout gear, he used the same SCBA and everything as everyone else.

I was going to bring this up. Kudos, to people who do not let physical differences get in the way of them accomplishing life goals.

There was an Officer of Daytona Beach Fire Rescue who was also of the shorter stature (not sure if it was actual dwarfism or another medical issue) but he was well respected by the guys on his job. Biggest thing is if you can do the job well, you can do the job. Someone's smaller physical size does not directly retract from the capabilities of them physically performing the job well. Hell, there are even amputees who are using prosthetic limbs while OTB.

If he/she can do the job, I don't care what color, sex, religion, size, politics, etc., they are. If they can't do the job, they have no business being in the position regardless of the color, sex, religion, size, politics, etc.

Maybe all us short guys should get together and start a FEMA Confined Space unit.

And I never once hit my head on that low-hanging soil pipe in the Station 1 Basement.

Its not like he passed his interior ff class or better yet competed on an entrance exam. I would think its Physically impossible for him to stretch the 5 lengths from the rear top of a typical engine. If his boss tells him to grab a six foot hook, so he grabs an 8 instead. And there's always ladders for the other stuff!

Great fireman is also short in 42 Engine and I mean like 5 3 short.

A.E. is a good kid, but when he's the ECC, it looks like someone's letting their kid drive the rig.............No B.S.

I had the privilege of being Jeff's instructor on several occasions and can tell you he is one of the most dedicated and motivated students I've had and is a very capable firefighter who earned every single certification he has by far exceeding the minimum standard. I would work with Jeff any day.

To simply put it..you have to meet the standards. We can debate what the "minimum" standard is, but everyone who enters a course, I can assure you at a "minimum" is meeting the standard of the curriculum set forth by NY State and the NFPA.

Its not like he passed his interior ff class or better yet competed on an entrance exam. I would think its Physically impossible for him to stretch the 5 lengths from the rear top of a typical engine. If his boss tells him to grab a six foot hook, so he grabs an 8 instead. And there's always ladders for the other stuff!

REALLY???? members on here have educated us about members of FD's that are short and have been more then capable of doing their job.

? I have actually seen people with dwarfism pull 5 inch off the engine (not that hard, just grab the first length and run with it). Are you saying they need a larger hook than other people or that cause they are shorter they will grab the wrong one? Ok, so they need to get a bigger hook oh well. Do taller people use smaller hooks? Is that wrong? Uh we all use ladders there pal. I've also seen a ff with the same situation grab a 24' fiberglass extension ladder off the side of the engine and carry it to the side of the building and raise it up alone with no assistance whatsoever. If someone can do the job who cares what they look like or how they overcome it to get it done.

Edited by jack10562
MoFire390, wraftery, #244 and 2 others like this

In the early 70's back in my original dept., the chief appointed a good friend of mine who was under the "minimum height requirement of 5'8" in bare feet". When a member of the [comic] common council questioned the appointment, the chief responded that in all of his years of service, he has yet to see a guy fight a fire in his bare feet. The appointment stood and made good reading in the local gossip sheet.

In the early 70's back in my original dept., the chief appointed a good friend of mine who was under the "minimum height requirement of 5'8" in bare feet". When a member of the [comic] common council questioned the appointment, the chief responded that in all of his years of service, he has yet to see a guy fight a fire in his bare feet. The appointment stood and made good reading in the local gossip sheet.

Thanks for the memories. When I went on the job in 1971, there was a minimum height requirement. Many guys literally stretched to get on the job, including myself. I needed 1/4 inch tops, and did some exersizes to get taller, but I know guys that hung from their garage rafters in a harness that went under your chin and around the back of your head. The theory in stretching was that you could stretch your spine by taking the pressure off your disks. You are taller in the morning because your disks aren't compressed.

When I went for my height measurement, I had to stand on the scale with a proctor reading your height "for the record." Another proctor had a sheet of paper under your heels. He tugged at the paper to see if you were going up on yout tippy toes. If he could pull the paper out, you were cheating. There were guys that were carried in on a plywood stretcher by their friends. That was so your spine didn't compress and make you measure shorter.

Those were the good ol' days. Our written test was hard, too.

x129K likes this

Thanks for the memories. When I went on the job in 1971, there was a minimum height requirement. Many guys literally stretched to get on the job, including myself. I needed 1/4 inch tops, and did some exersizes to get taller, but I know guys that hung from their garage rafters in a harness that went under your chin and around the back of your head. The theory in stretching was that you could stretch your spine by taking the pressure off your disks. You are taller in the morning because your disks aren't compressed.

When I went for my height measurement, I had to stand on the scale with a proctor reading your height "for the record." Another proctor had a sheet of paper under your heels. He tugged at the paper to see if you were going up on yout tippy toes. If he could pull the paper out, you were cheating. There were guys that were carried in on a plywood stretcher by their friends. That was so your spine didn't compress and make you measure shorter.

Those were the good ol' days. Our written test was hard, too.

Ah I see you and some of your brethren utilized the Bobby Brady workout system of getting taller. lol.

Fire apparatus from my memory as a wee lad have over time gotten much better with access of equipment overall from my exposure to many different types, departments, systems etc. I can remember the first ladder truck I was familiar with was a 69 Seagrave mid mount that even those 5' 10" had problems reaching the compartments in the rear without the outriggers down.

efdcapt115 likes this