Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigBuff

Best Quality Camera to buy?

20 posts in this topic

I am interested in getting a good camera to use for taking photos of family, fires, apparatus, etc. I am wondering what type of camera would be good for taking the best quality photos. I have seen great photos on here, so if you have shared your photos, or know your photos are good quality, please post what type it is, where you can buy it, etc.

I know of one as of right now, which is B&H Photo: NYC

Thank you!

Ryan

Edited by BigBuff

Nikon D60 is a good one. A bit expensive but will certainly exceed in what you need it for.

BigBuff likes this

Agreed, Nikon makes a good camera. Look into different lens as well. I purchased a D40 kit and the 18-55mm lens it comes with was great at first but then got boring. I would also recommend a local store as opposed to Costco, Best Buy etc. Hope this helps.

You have to start out how much you are willing to spend. For instance a halfway decent low-end Digital SLR camera kit goes for $500, or you can take it up to over $2000, for a camera body with no lens.

peterose313 likes this

You want something with a strong image sensor and high iso that will hold up in low light situations with minimal noise. I personally find that Canon has been in a league of their own over the last 3 years and Nikon is simply trying to play catchup. I have the Canon 7D. It ultimately depends on how much you're looking to spend. If you want something affordable and durable that fits the qualifications, I'd suggest either Canon 60D, T3i, Nikon D90, SONY A33 (new mirrorless technology). If you're looking to spend more and purchase a higher end camera*, I'd suggest a Canon 5D Mk II, 7D, 1D Mk IV, Nikon D90 (I know a lot of photographers that do AMAZING work on this camera and recommend it regardless of low/high end), I'd also strongly suggest you buy a 50 mm 1.4 or 1.8 on top of having a kit lens. The 1.4/1.8 will give you the cleaner more crisp images at a lower iso which means less noise. Also strongly recommend buying through B&H Photo Video or J&R or Adorama in NYC. I personally swear by B&H and won't go anywhere else. I bought my 70-200 mm f/2.8L lens from B&H but looked at it through J&R as well. Ultimately B&H were able to match or better J&R's price and knew more about the lens.

Edited by peterose313

My budget is about 2000-2100. I have learned that Canon seems to be a good company, along with Nikon. Anyone have any places closer then NYC? Or online websites?

There's another good place called Calumet. They have several locations throughout the country, including NYC. Otherwise there's always ebay/amazon too. Don't sleep on SONY either, they're up and coming and bought out Minolta. For those of you who used Minolta 35 mm, your lenses actually work on the SONY DSLR's. If you're looking to spend that much, definitely encourage you to look into the 5D MK II. It's going to take a long time to outgrow that and the video quality is nothing short of superb. There's several tv shows (I.e. 24) and commercials that are shot on a 5D Mark II. As stated previously, I have the 7D and you can see samples of the quality. I constantly shoot at iso's from 100-3200 being that I'm primarily a sports photographer and shoot in low light and harsh conditions. I love my camera, it's a newer image sensor and has a better autofocus system than any other Canon camera (minus the forthcoming 1DX which will blow everything out of the water.)

Calumet Photo

Edited by peterose313
BigBuff likes this

The camera that I use is a Nikon coolpix p90. Personally I love the camera. I think it takes some good photos. I'm sure you have prob seen the photos I took with it under peekskill fire june 2011. The camera was about $500.00 2 years ago and I got it from bestbuy. So I would assume by now they prob have a newer version out.

BigBuff likes this

Any Nikon SLR. The D7000 is a great buy right now.

I am interested in getting a good camera to use for taking photos of family, fires, apparatus, etc. I am wondering what type of camera would be good for taking the best quality photos. I have seen great photos on here, so if you have shared your photos, or know your photos are good quality, please post what type it is, where you can buy it, etc.

I know of one as of right now, which is B&H Photo: NYC

Thank you!

Ryan

like peterose said it depends on your budget, you can buy a top dollar body but if you dont match the glass to it you just pissed away money, your lenses are just as important as the body, i shoot w all nikon equipment so i cannot comment on canon personally but they as well make excellant equipment. for fire scenes i usually use my 70/200 2.8 on my d700, as well as my 50mm 1.8 on my d2xs, i have a few other lenses commonly used as well. feel free to check out my site to see some of my shots cdcphoto.com. as far as where to buy? Adorama is my first choice, ive used B&H as well both fine stores however i'd stay away from best buy circuit city and the likes they tend to be more expensive and dont offer the variety of kits and options. good luck with whatever you choose hope this helps

Squid

helicopper, BigBuff and peterose313 like this

Thank you all for recommendations. I have noted them all down and will look into those specifically. Feel free to recommend more, as I dont plan on getting one for a few weeks.

B & H is an excellent place to buy from. They are knowledgable and carry almost anything camera related. Last time I was there (2008) they had just renovated they dedicated the entire second floor to Digital Camera.

For someone just starting out, I'd highly reccomend the following camera:

Canon EOS Rebel T3i Digital Camera

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753762-REG/Canon_5169B003_EOS_Rebel_T3i_Digital.html

Here's a great compact camera that's easier to tote around, easier and less expensive:

Canon S100

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822124-REG/Canon_PowerShot_S100_Digital_Camera.html

Also, keep in mind you will need to buy a memory card (8 GB min), spare battery, and protective carrying case.

I may have some surplus cameras coming available soon as well, mostly all point and shoots though.

I got the canon 60 D. Very good camera for the money. It also shoots video. The lens that comes in the kit is a good starter lens. B and H is good. They usually have the best prices. I got mine from newegg.com. The price matched B and H but the shipping was free and I believe there was no tax. It's worth a look. Good luck

My 3 Kodaks have not let me down. From jobs, Kayaking, family stuff & site seeing. Cheap, easy to use, & a good software with MAC & pcs.

BigBuff likes this

I have the Canon 7D as well as a Canon Power Shot SX130 IS. I use the Canon power shot in my turnout gear pocket and I break the Canon 7D out when we are standing around or there is no risk of damage. The 7D was definitely worth the investment. As for a flash mentioned above if you get a decent camera like the 7D and learn how to use it properly you do not need a flash 99% of the time. If you take a look at this gallery I took, I did not use a flash. It is all about finding the light you need and adjusting your camera settings. (It takes practice and patients).

My link

You can also check out the “MASTER” At:

www.fdphotounit.com

It doesn’t get any better than his shots.

Edited by miami222
peterose313 and BigBuff like this

Thank you all for the recommendations. I am looking into the Canon's and other bigger companies. I have noted all of the recommendations, will be spending a few days during the weekend/next week finding these/looking, first place I am thinking of going is B&H in NYC, seems to be a great recommendation. Thank you all again. Feel free to continue recommending them, I have a great variety right now, won't hurt to have more.

Edited by BigBuff

I have not decided yet, although I have visited B&H(last week) and know its going to either be a Canon, Kodak, or Nikon. I have re-read these posts, and seem those companies have the best quality cameras.

Thank you all for your recommendations.

Ryan

Kodak just filed for Chapter 11. Their dslr's aren't good and have never been able to succeed in the digital market.

Kodak just filed for Chapter 11. Their dslr's aren't good and have never been able to succeed in the digital market.

That company was last on my pick, but thank you for the heads up. I'll probably either go with a Canon or Nikon, will decide by the weekend, or at most the end of the weekend.

Edited by BigBuff