Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest jmerced92

Looking to Start Fire Service Career - Question

8 posts in this topic

Hi, i just recently graduated NJIT, and im looking to pursue a career as a firefighter in Newark or the surrounding townships. Are there any fd's in Essex county that would allow me to start as a volunteer first, and then gradually proceed to be a paid career?

Nope and if I were you look out of state as no departments are really hiring anyway and there will be a 4 year wait till another test .

Hi, i just recently graduated njit, and im looking to pursue a career as a firefighter in Newark or the surrounding townships. Are there any fd's in Essex county that would allow me to start as a volunteer first, and then gradually proceed to be a paid career?

I would look into joining a local volunteer fire department, and get as much experience as possible to get a feel of what the job's all about. I'm not sure how many combination paid/volunteer FD's there are in that area, but I would stick to all-volunteer for now. In the meantime, look around for paid departments that are hiring. Then, put as many applications in to as many paid fire department that are hiring as you can. It can take a long time to get hired, and chances are, you may not get hired by the fire department you want to get hired by. Don't overlook a paid department just because it's not your top choice. Check around, and see who's hiring but first, as I said before, I would get into volunteer firefighting if at all possible, especially if you've not had a lot of experience with firefighting before, while your waiting, and maybe a small job on the side to help pay the bills. If you really want the job and have a love for it, while it may take a long time to get hired, you'll get on. Good luck.

Edited by sfrd18

A run down of who's who in Essex County, NJ

Belleville (township) Career

Bloomfield (township) Career with volunteer assistance, http://www.bloomfieldfire.org/bfd/bloomfield-volunteer-fire-rescue-company

Caldwell (borough) Volunteer

Cedar Grove (township) Volunteer

City of Orange (township) Career

East Orange (city) Career

Essex Fells (borough) Volunteer

Fairfield (township) Volunteer

Glen Ridge (borough) covered by Montclair

Irvington (township) Career

Livingston (township) Volunteer

Maplewood (township) Career

Millburn (township) Career/Volunteer

Montclair (township) Career

Newark (city) Career

North Caldwell (borough)

Nutley (township) Career/Volunteer

Roseland (borough) Volunteer

South Orange Village (township) Career

Verona (township) Volunteer

West Caldwell (township) Volunteer

West Orange (township) Career

sfrd18 and BigBuff like this

It's apples and oranges.

If you want a paid FD job you have to be on a civil service list so you should seek out and take every test available to you. An FD can't just hire you because you're a volunteer; there is a civil service process you have to adhere to that includes educational and residency requirements, physical and psychological screenings, and other things. Start by looking for human resources or civil service units/offices for information.

That said, volunteering is a good way to get experience in the fire service but it doesn't guarantee you'll get a job in a career department.

Good luck and study hard! The jobs are getting harder and harder to come by these days.

BFD1054 likes this

helicopper's correct. Volunteering is a great start, but there's a lot of hard work and effort that comes after that if you are interested in pursuing a paid career.

That said, volunteering is a good way to get experience in the fire service but it doesn't guarantee you'll get a job in a career department.
Volunteering is a great start, but there's a lot of hard work and effort that comes after that if you are interested in pursuing a paid career.

Volunteering will get you exposure as for experience, that can be good or bad, depends on the dept.

Many career depts want to hire "new" employees. Some do not want to hire anyone who has been in another dept. paid or volunteer. Becuase you have to "retrain" them.

Not saying the one hiring is any better than the previous dept. But every one is different. And many are stuck on "our way is the only way".

Best to check what potential employeers want before you commit to any course of action.

BFD1054 likes this

Hi, i just recently graduated NJIT, and im looking to pursue a career as a firefighter in Newark or the surrounding townships. Are there any fd's in Essex county that would allow me to start as a volunteer first, and then gradually proceed to be a paid career?

I know, especially with the current economy, and with civil service testing methods being antiquated in NJ and the area, it would be tough to transition like you said.

However, keep an open mind. If you truly want to be a firefighter, you will find a job in Texas. There are a wide range of departments, some even require you volunteer or work part time first. There are a lot of growing cities that hire often. I don't know about other states, but the fire service here has many more oppurtunities to become a firefighter.