Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OoO

Hartsdale FD Bucket Truck

10 posts in this topic

Today I saw a lime green bucket truck, with the Hartsdale FD patch on the door, pulled over on the side of the road tinkering with some utility lines. What is this truck used for?

It must be their fire alarm truck, I have seen it in operation also, at utility lines, etc.

Edited by BigBuff

Sounds like a Fire Alarm truck?Would be for working on the munincipal Fire Alarm system, if they have one. Newburgh has a rig like that for that purpose.

Edited by Newburgher

Wow, its in good shape for a '72..

Hartsdale FD Fire Alarm Truck

Hartsdale FD's 1972 Ford F-Series Fire Alarm Truck, used to maintain the district's fire alarm wire and box system.

Edited by BigBuff

I read it wrong- You have 2 answers here... If your talking about the TL, Then I gave you correct info, if your talking about the Alarm truck, then they gave you the right answer. I apologize for any confusion.

If you don't know something, you're not obligated to answer the question. Your answer was compleltly incorrect. Be careful assumuing, and have some patience....someone who knows what it is will come along and pass it on. Also, I noticed that you went back and edited all your replies after this post.

Hartsdale FD has that Utility Line Truck to maintain it's Gamewell Fire Box system, that maintains the Gamewell system. Two firefighters are paid an electrician's stipend to perform this service, like many departments still do in New England. There are numerous boxes throughout Hartsdale, in all the schools, etc. I'm sure wraftery knows way,way more about this truck, and I hope he will chime in.

As far as the truck, it's in pretty great condition considering it's age, especially the chasis. Here's a photo of it in quarters, it used to sit between TL-15 and C-2172

post-11-0-12672200-1326933172.jpg

(Disclaimer: my information is of 2008, will get further if needed and advise)

Edited by x635
To notate BigBuff's changes to his previous post after I made this post

Did Hartsdale paint their Gamewell Boxes lime-yellow like Lynn, MA did to match the apparatus? :D

Seriously, there are many towns, cities and villages that still utilize street pull boxes and master station throughout New England, mostly all of them are in MA. My city still operates around 300+ telegraph alarm boxes and utilizes a "cherry picker" for repairs, which we share service with the public works department. Actually its a good asset as well as the fire marshal's office has used it in the past in their investigations for an overview of a incident.

Unfortunately the systems are expensive to maintain but they are full proof and will work during a blackout or power outage. Many of these systems are being removed from service, ours may be gone forever soon.