Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Boston FD Application Process Now Open

5 posts in this topic

Application Process for 2012 Firefighter Exam

People are hired to become Boston firefighters from a list provided by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Every two years Massachusetts administers a statewide general aptitude entrance test for firefighters at various locations throughout the state. This test establishes a hiring list for cities and towns including the City of Boston. The last written exam was administered on April 24, 2010. Candidates will remain active on this list until it is replaced with the results of the 2012 results.

This examination is being held to establish an eligible list from which to fill firefighter vacancies in civil service cities and towns. The eligible list may also be used to fill firefighter vacancies in non-civil service jurisdictions.

This examination consists of two components: the written examination and the Entry-Level Physical Abilities Test (ELPAT). Candidates must take and pass both components in order to be placed on the eligible list for appointment in a civil service city or town.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/fire/employment/

Isn't Boston really strict on residency?

Isn't Boston really strict on residency?

Although not impossible BFD is a tough job to get on if not from Beantown because unless the policy has changed very recently..yes they are strict on residency and generally have plenty of residents taking the test. If memory serves residency and an upper age limit of 32 are standards. In fact many cities and towns in Mass hold pretty firm on residency as a requirement, but even most of those that don't will give preference to residents over out of towners or worse out of Staters with higher scores. When taking the Mass Statewide civil service test you will have to chose an FD as your primary and then 3 more that you will accept employment with. If a department is hiring and you haven't chosen it you will most likely be passed over regardless of score.

For all thinking of taking the test...Good Luck!!

Cogs

x635 and sfrd18 like this

The test given for Boston is the MA HRD statewide testing for firefighters. There are many departments throughout MA that utilize this test. Cogs is right, Boston and a host of other MA departments have a hiring age limit of 32. But there is also a lot of departments that do not have this limit as well.

When you take the test, you have the choice of four departments you would like to be considered for. If you have lived in a city for a year, you can claim residency for that department and then chose three additional departments. You do have to check for any residency requirements for those departments as well, some want you to live in the town prior or shortly after appointment where others have a certain mile radius to live in. For Boston you do not have to live in the city (though its a great city to live in anyway) but they give residents extra weight for the job.

Now here is a kicker, many departments in MA also have "Call" firefighters and hire them off this list too. A "Call" firefighter is what it sounds like, you are not in the firehouse and you are paid on call (another words your a part-time or "utility-man"). Make sure the department you are applying for is hiring full-time "permanent" firefighters before you apply.

Other tips:

--Even if you don't have reciprocity with your certs (fire and EMS) submit them anyway. It shows your level of training.

--Do your home work before you even take the test. Look at the departments that are on the HRD list. Don't go in there thinking "Hey I want to apply for Springfield" and when you go to make your picks Springfield is not listed (example only). There are many departments that do their own testing instead of going through the Commonwealth system.

--MASSACHUSETTS IS NOT A LICENSED CPAT STATE!!!!!! They do their own agility test.

--Everyone tries to get on Boston. Trust me and the other buffs here, Eastern Mass towns get a lot of fire, not only Boston. Look at the METRO-FIRE mutual aid towns, The Cape, Plymouth County, ect for who has open positions. Also remember, because the testing is through HRD, sometimes you can unilaterally "transfer" from one department to another. I do not know if this practice is still in effect or not.

--TRY TRY AGAIN. When I took the test many years ago, I was listed in the 2000s. When I tested again, I ended up in the 700 numbers, then the next time in the 400.

--REMEMBER Laid off firefighters in MA have more priority than you when trying to get onto a department (and rightly so). Don't let this discourage you.

Good luck to those who take the test. When you go, go up a day or two before and take in the town. Usually the test is held in Boston and you can get a decent hotel room throughout the city. There are many great places in the Metro Boston area.

Also a good buff hint for you all, get the book "Boston's Fire Trail". It outlines all the great fires in the city and literally follows the famed "Freedom Trail".

Edited by IzzyEng4
BFD1054 likes this

For those interested in learning more about BFD hiring/MA Civil Service a link below that might be of interest. BFD is having open houses at stations throughout the city for interested applicants this year. There is a live chat option coming up. Veterans have preference as well for hiring. I believe there are multiple testing locations throughout the state based on your location. I have taken tests in two different cities outside of Boston and I live in Boston. Being a paramedic seems to help with getting hired for FD that provide ALS transporting. More towns have been taking back EMS these days and have been hiring medics.

My link

BFD1054 likes this