Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nycemt728

NJ Flags to Half Staff for Whitney Houston

48 posts in this topic

While I completely agree that lowering the flag for a celebrity is out of order, it appears that the above section of the flag code basically excludes flying the flag at half-mast for most of those whom we do this for now: no firefighters, police officers or even soldiers killed in action?

Although not in the US Flag Code I believe it is an unwritten tradition that elected officials can order flags at half mast for their jurisdiction, thus FFs. Police, Military, and unfortunately, Singing Drug Addicts can be honored. However, we the people have the right to vote that official out of office in the next election. Unfortunately, we cannot legally run that official up the flagpole.

Edited by wraftery
antiquefirelt and jack10562 like this

Disgraceful.... I have never been a fan of Gov. Christie or his policies since Day 1. He just doesn't give a crap. I am having trouble finding one video I saw a couple months ago as he tried to dance around questions regarding salary cuts, and questioning him about cutting his own, or his staff's salaries. Really kind of summed it up for me.

My city in Central Florida will not lower flags for public safety personnel, soldiers, politicians, or prominent people in the community. They only time they will is for a state or federally declared period of grieving. However, the P.D. and F.D. fly black and purple "mourning flags" for line of duty/active deaths (local or in state), deaths of retired or former members, etc. F.D and law enforcement also attend military funerals and will hang the U.S. flag from the aerial for the entourage to pass under which I feel is richly deserved.

Phil

i would like to say that if i was living in NJ, i would NEVER EVER lower the flag too half staff for a crack head. We should be lowering the flag to the men and women of the military who are protecting this country and dying for this country. We should also be lowering the flag for the men and women who put there lives on the line too protect property and lives inside this country, like the fire, police, and ems services.

For the people who lower the flag for a crack head..go a head and lower it, but just remember one thing..when you do lower that flag, your pretty much saying F*** you too the men and women in the military,fire,police,and ems service workers.

OO yea before i forget...the death of whitney is never ever gonna get a day in the year where its a holiday or we get a day off from work. Because if that was the case, we would never work, because you would have too give every celebrity there own day in the year a day off.

Disgusting is the only word that comes to mind. Completely disregards proper flag etiquette...there are some who will make the argument that even for cops and firefighters that the flags shouldn't be...which if I go I could care less...simply because the one thing no one can take from me and that's the flag that will be draped over my coffin no matter when I do.

And already Al Sharpton (The Tri State Area Racist) is commenting about the American's who oppose this...

hey where ever Sharpton is Jesse Jackson aint far behind and no flag shout be at half staff nor any bunting shown for this junkie

I gotta wonder what this does to Chris Christie, the once Golden Child of the Republican Party. Such an action, Flag Code or not, is a slap in the face to many for whom the flags have been lowered, something that can't sit well with the GOP. Anyone who can stomach FOX News seen anything from their perspective? Just being in agreement with Sharpton on anything might be a discredit to a GOP candidate. :o

I gotta wonder what this does to Chris Christie, the once Golden Child of the Republican Party. Such an action, Flag Code or not, is a slap in the face to many for whom the flags have been lowered, something that can't sit well with the GOP. Anyone who can stomach FOX News seen anything from their perspective? Just being in agreement with Sharpton on anything might be a discredit to a GOP candidate. :o

Christie is doing what every good politician does, disregard right and wrong and align themselves with the vocal majority. In this case all the bleeding hearts that want to place this has been, drug abusing, alcoholic, entertainer on a pedestal that front and center in the media light at the top of every news hour.

Christie is doing what every good politician does, disregard right and wrong and align themselves with the vocal majority. In this case all the bleeding hearts that want to place this has been, drug abusing, alcoholic, entertainer on a pedestal that front and center in the media light at the top of every news hour.

you know what you exactly right this country will suffer becuase of this mark my words

I think that we should use this lowering as a positive. When you see a lowered flag, then you know that is a place that is not deserving of your hard earned money. Or if you see one lowered go in and let someone know they made a mistake and that it was suppose to be at full staff and to correct the mistake. I did that once after 9/11. A store had a flag at full staff when we as a nation were flying them at half. Needless to say they corrected it right then and there.

BIGRED1 likes this

I did that once after 9/11. A store had a flag at full staff when we as a nation were flying them at half. Needless to say they corrected it right then and there.

Was there a national order to fly them half staff? I know I did just out of respect. It was so long ago that I don't remember. I do agree though if you see a place flying it half staffed you should just drive on by.

We should be honoring a true dead hero, like Gary Carter....1986 world series anyone? RIP

Edited by SRS131EMTFF
JetPhoto likes this

No different then watching the New York Yankees or New York Giants march down the "Canyon of Heros" Since when are Athletes known as heros. Maybe the genius that came up with the name should have labeled it "Canyon of Champions" Either way I dont think any of them should be honored the same way as our Real heroes the US Armed Forces!!!!

you know what you exactly right this country will suffer becuase of this mark my words

Seems a little melodramatic, no?

SageVigiles likes this

People need to learn the difference between "icons" & "Heroes"

post-3712-0-40819700-1329453443.jpg

Umm those are just two criminals

If anyone from the State of NJ deserves to have the flag flown at half staff today, tomorrow or in the coming days...........are the children of the NJ State Trooper who were killed yesterday when their school bus was struck by a garbage truck. I know this might not fall under the rules for our flag, but I am stating this to prove a point!

JetPhoto and BIGRED1 like this