Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JackEMT

Massive power outage in Boston (Back Bay)

9 posts in this topic

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/13/firefighters-battle-4-alarm-blaze-near-back-bay-hilton/

Power shut down in the Back Bay area so BPD could fight transformer fire on Scotia/Dalton Street. (reported 4-alarms)

Several high-rise buildings and large hotels without power.

Thankfully the weather is mild.

I was dining in a restaurant when the power went out. We were amongst the fortunate and had been served before the power went out.

A couple hours earlier, BFD was fighting a two-alarm fire on Haviland Street, just blocks away.

sfrd18 and x129K like this

Boston's Central Fire Alarm and Metro Fire Control is also in that area. Heard reports that they were also knocked out for a little bit, not sure if the had problems with their back up systems. I'm also assuming since Beantown still uses a Gamewell System throughout the city and its isolated, that it was still working to notify all the BFD houses.

I'm going up there this weekend, I'll see what I can find out.

The video attached to this news story shows the moment they "flipped the switch" to shut off the grid:

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/boston/12006939236610/power-outages-due-to-back-bay-fire/

BFD had constant Twitter updates on the fire with pics. That was the first place I went when the power went out to see what was going on.

Edited by JackEMT

Boston's Central Fire Alarm and Metro Fire Control is also in that area. Heard reports that they were also knocked out for a little bit, not sure if the had problems with their back up systems. I'm also assuming since Beantown still uses a Gamewell System throughout the city and its isolated, that it was still working to notify all the BFD houses.

I'm going up there this weekend, I'll see what I can find out.

Joe, ill be up there for the weekend as well. My wife surprised me with tickets to the Dropkick Murphys show on Friday night at the House of Blues.

They better have this crap situated for the weekend lol!

SageVigiles likes this

No worries BFD1054. I believe they are or have been going back on-line today. Sounded like a tough job for Boston's Bravest.

IA

BFD1054 likes this

No worries BFD1054. I believe they are or have been going back on-line today. Sounded like a tough job for Boston's Bravest.

IA

Thanks sfrd18...I love Boston and am looking forward to a great weekend up there.

BFD is definatley a very impressive department and i love to see them operate.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/13/firefighters-battle-4-alarm-blaze-near-back-bay-hilton/

Power shut down in the Back Bay area so BPD could fight transformer fire on Scotia/Dalton Street. (reported 4-alarms)

Several high-rise buildings and large hotels without power.

Thankfully the weather is mild.

I was dining in a restaurant when the power went out. We were amongst the fortunate and had been served before the power went out.

A couple hours earlier, BFD was fighting a two-alarm fire on Haviland Street, just blocks away.

Such a very amazing link!

Watch John Carter Online Free

It appears as thought things are returning to normal up here in Boston. Areas still affected do not involved the area over by Fenway/Lansdowne Stree from what I have heard on the radio. I thought I had read somewhere online that E33 and L15 self dispatched to the fire. Looking out from their quarters the fire ground would have been directly in front of them maybe 200 ft up the road!

From reading comments at the globe and herald this event is creating some ill will between Boston and the suburbs, in my opinion. The suburbs lose power in a storm and they go days/weeks before power is restored but things are happening fast for the areas effected by this event. I hate to be negative but if this happened in my area of Boston I feel that I would be told to deal with it! I did see a good Tweet about how we should focus on who was prepared to deal with this as opposed to who is stuck and having problems!

Edited by DWC295

Why is it a surprise that Boston gets power restored faster than the suburbs? An outage in an urban area usually affects more customers and has a greater economic impact on the community as a whole.