Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

False alarms douse firefighter morale; Nyack says nearly half of calls are not real

34 posts in this topic

The idea of fining them because of false alarms is "great" in theory but where does the money go? I know that in some fire districts if the property or business owner gets a fine, the fire department does not see the money, the town does. That fine does not go to cover the costs of maintenance to the vehicles, fuel, etc. rather it goes into the towns pocket. As per the article responding to the false alarms "...wastes diesel fuel and increases wear and tear on the department’s equipment." Is the department going to receive the moneys from the fine to aid in covering those expenses and reduce the tax burden on the rest of the community?

The biggest question that I have is what are they considering a false alarm? Like many others have already said on her, burnt popcorn is not a false alarm.

What do you do when you have a person who has Alzheimer’s and is living at home with their spouse who is capable of taking care of their needs and said person puts a slipper in the toaster and turns the toaster on? This is not a false alarm. Do you start to fine them as well because you go there every few weeks for similar such thing? The end result of that would be, in my opinion, that they would pull out the central station system. While that would eliminate some calls for us, aren’t we endangering the life for the 2 people living in that house as well as putting ourselves into a position that we are going to be responding to a structure fire, putting ourselves into a more dangerous position, instead of a simple slipper in the toaster that can be taken care of with a water can or dry chem?

The Department may not get the fine money, but they end up saving money because they are not running out the door as much, a back door savings effect.

As for the Alzheimer patient, you would have to deal with that situation and respond. But you use a point of something that may effect 1 out of 50 Departments. Yet the manager not enforcing the rules about cig smokingwith his employees that causes you to respond 6 times a month may effect 10 out of 50 departments and is a problem and can be enforced.

ny10570 likes this

After a certain number of repeats, say 3 in a 30 day period, the establishment should get a visit from the building inspector and the fire marshall. Why not address the problem? Obviously there is a problem. If the local governemnt or FD keeps fining the owner/management, they might be inclined to fix it, but probably not and will just pay the fine.

When I was Chief we had a restaraunt in town who reset the alarm and did not evacuate prior to F.D. arrival. After numerous responses there was an alarm on Christmas Day as my fire department was just returing from a structure fire, the mutual aid department standnig by for us was dispatched to that restaraunt for an automatic alarm. I responeded and as usual the alarm was reset people were eating and we got the usual no alarm went off here. It didn't work this time I ordered the restaraunt evacuated and a proper search done. After that I had our Bureau of Fire prevention summons the restataunt not only for that alarm but the previous four in the last month. Needless to say after a hefty fine the condition was corrected. I agree with the thought you learn your district and apparatus placement and also agree alarms will go off and malfunction. However I also agree it's the home/business owners responsibilty to maintain their alarm. If it malfunctions have it SERVICED after all it is there to protect them not us. So I agree with fining offenders if they don't have their malfunctioning alarms serviced. Hey lets not forget the automatic carbon monoxide alarms which in my department, and I am sure we are not alone, if nonone answers the door or noone is home we MUST enter to make sure nonone is home and overcome by carbon monoxide.

Bnechis and x4093k like this

If the local governemnt or FD keeps fining the owner/management, they might be inclined to fix it, but probably not and will just pay the fine.

Not if it is an escilating fine. $250 1st fine, $500 2nd fine, $1,000 3rd fine, $2,000 4th fine....etc. At some point it will be cheaper to fix it.

(not thats not the 1st time it happens, just the 1st fine)

Also, for those that will disconnect the system, while we cant stop that on residential (have yet to find anyone doing that, because then they also lose the burglar alarm and the insurance discount). But on commercial systems they are often mandated by code. This is particularly true for are worst offenders, so if you disconnect we can force you to evacuate and close until you reactivate or post an approved fire watch. To give an idea of what that costs; we had a supermarket that had to shut its sprinkler system down for maintenance. The code enforcment officer gave them the option of closing to the public or an approved fire watch. They had the FD provide the fire watch @ $125/hr times 3 days x 20 hours per day. Does force the issue.

spin_the_wheel and BFD1054 like this