Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMT-7035

Retired Police Cars

14 posts in this topic

I am currently considering buying a new car (I currently have a '99 Accord) and someone had suggested buying retired cop/ems cruisers as they are generally really cheap considering their age and mileage. I had always assumed that fleet vehicles tended to be more abused than a personal daily driver because there tends to be less of a sense of ownership and responsibility for each individual vehicle. Note that this is a POV, not a department vehicle.

I'm sure it varies department to department and even vehicle to vehicle, but on a whole, is it worth buying one? Or am I setting myself up for a future of repairs? Also, what is a good place to buy them assuming I do decide to go this route?

Search police on Ebaymotors. Always good deals and nice cars, even the brand new Caprices and 2012 Chargers. I have an NYSP Tahoe and haven't had a problem with it other then routine ware and tare, I got it in Saugerties from a guy, he has a whole bunch of different cars.

Inspect it real well. Cars from smaller departments are usually better taken care of. Anything from NYC I would avoid, we beat the doors off them. Oh, and check to make sure nothing was left under the seats (drugs, guns, etc)

The only thing I found in my car was a handcuff key, and the factory installed taillight flasher, lol

Don't forget to scan craigslist (explore different regions too - I travelled to south Jersey to buy my car) - and scrutinize each ad carefully! Make a checklist of the things you want/don't want. I looked for several months before I found an 05 CVPI with 42K Miles. Was a take home CSP Trooper car, retired at low mileage and bought by another cop to use for contract detective work. I bought it from him. If you can, try to find an administrative car (no cage holes, comes with carpet, etc.) I've had her almost 2 years now, and it was absolutely one of the best vehicles that I've invested in.

Edited by bronxfireradio

Why would you want this car? To impersonate a police officer? They get horrible mileage and are a pain to park.

No, I had just heard that they were decently powerful and you can get them for real cheap. And what do you mean they're a pain to park?

Edited by EMT-7035

One thing to remember. Mileage on PD cars can be misleading. You have to include that those are often hard miles. Especially on highway and inner-city units. Also, figure most cars idle 25x as long as your average passenger car (if not more). So not as many miles, but hundreds of hours more worth of usage.

BFD1054, EMT-7035 and Pagers like this

not sure how good they are but SWSP.com also sells used police cars. They say that they recondition them, but guess that can mean just about anything. Also as someone else mentioned, auctionsinternational.com casually will have used police as well as vehicles from other municipality fleets. Prices are usually fair. Have bid on a few things but yet to be the lucky winner.

There is a used police car dealer on Rt 32 that sells nothing but ex PD/Govt service cars. I dont know the name or exact location, but it is between the NYS Thruway Saugerties exit and Palenville NY on RT 32.

I remembered that their is a place onVirginia Rd in North White Plains that always has what look like used patrol cars. A quick google search came up with North White Auto Sales There info is 43 Virginia Rd, White Plains, NY. 914-997-8948

There is a used police car dealer on Rt 32 that sells nothing but ex PD/Govt service cars. I dont know the name or exact location, but it is between the NYS Thruway Saugerties exit and Palenville NY on RT 32.

Mark Gottenberg

3449 Route 32

Saugerties, NY 12477

845-246-4344

That's who I got my truck from, he sometimes sells on Ebay. Also if you ever need a part from him he is usually cheap, but sometimes you would have to go get it yourself in the yard.

There is also a dealership in Athol, MA that sells a lot of used Gov't cars on Ebay and also has a website.

http://www.usedpolicecars.com/

One thing to remember. Mileage on PD cars can be misleading. You have to include that those are often hard miles. Especially on highway and inner-city units. Also, figure most cars idle 25x as long as your average passenger car (if not more). So not as many miles, but hundreds of hours more worth of usage.

Good point. 2006 and newer Ford CVPI's come with an hour meter on the speedometer.