Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Technology that helped save Millbrook firefighter's life is lauded

14 posts in this topic

I'm glad that he was able to recover.

Good job Paramedic Hart

While battling a brush fire in East Clinton, Millbrook firefighter Edward Wheeler was suddenly confronted with a different emergency.

Wheeler was walking back to the fire truck, when he was suddenly hit by crushing chest pains. As his left arm went numb, Wheeler recognized his perilous situation.

“I knew what it was and I knew I had to get help,” Wheeler said. “It wasn’t going to go away by itself.”

Northern Dutchess paramedic Terri Hart arrived at 3:08 p.m. to find Wheeler on the ground, falling in and out of consciousness. Hart and other firefighters loaded Wheeler into the ambulance, gave him aspirin and conducted an electrocardiogram, also known as an EKG. The EKG took an electric picture of Wheeler’s heart and displayed his heart rate.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20120502/NEWS01/305020013/Technology-helped-save-Millbrook-firefighter-s-life-lauded?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|PoughkeepsieJournal.com|s

SageVigiles likes this

If nothing else, I hope all of the Officers out there realize that there should be at least one ALS ambulance should be on standby at ALL fire scenes.

Don't wait until you absolutely NEED one...get it on the road early. In fact - re-write your alarm assignments and add one or two on there today.

Glad you pulled through Wheels.....and good job to 56-3

SageVigiles likes this

x129K - I belive about 5 minutes prior to the medical emergency the OIC had requested an ambulance for stand-by. I agree with your opinion.
xfirefighter484x likes this

2 points:

1. Nice job Medic Hart

2. Why is EKG transmission to the ED only new as of March. Where I am in the literal sticks of Vermont we have had this options on our monitors since we bought them way back in the day.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF
Atv300 and FFFORD like this

The tech has been around since at least the 70's. Great job to all its nice to see some good news.

Glad to see a happy ending.

2 points:

1. Nice job Medic Hart

2. Why is EKG transmission to the ED only new as of March. Where I am in the literal sticks of Vermont we have had this options on our monitors since we bought them way back in the day.

Having the ability to transmit EKGs is useless unless someone is going to read it. It wasn't until STEMI Centers began becoming a destination options for ambulances that hospitals saw the benefit to coordinating with EMS. Thanks to EMS hopitals can tout their amazing door to balloon times because we do all of the ground work.

x129K and helicopper like this

2 points:

1. Nice job Medic Hart

Agreed. I just recently returned home after completing an ED rotation at Rutland Regional Medical Center. We were sent EKGs by units in the field and read them as they came in. If we determined it to be a STEMI, we were prepared before EMS arrival, able to guide EMS if needed, were able to check availablility and notify a STEMI center and had helo on the way to transport the patient to a STEMI center.

I still remember the Lifepak 5s. Had two halves and you connected the one side with the screen to the other with defib paddles on it via a cable. You could hook the patient up and connect it first to the portable Jonny and Roy type phone we had (I forget the name but I bet someone on here knows) and then you'd hook the "phone" (actually a UHF radio) to the monitor and it would display the ECG (only one lead at the time). Of course doing 12-Lead ECGs back then was UGLY. :)

Props to Terri and everyone else on a job well done. The technology to transmit the ECG didn't save this guy's life. He saved his own by not denying his symptoms. Medic Hart saved him by recognizing the MI on the 12-Lead and administering the proper treatment. The ambulance crew got him there safely. The hospital staff did their thing. And the doctor did theirs. All the transmission of the ECG does is tell the staff "HEY! WAKE UP! This is the real deal and the paramedic on the phone saying they have a STEMI isn't calling to order a pizza."

Edited by WAS967
helicopper and ny10570 like this

Personally, I want a portable tester that can measure serum Troponin-I levels. Now THAT would be nice. (It's out there BTW).

The iSTAT. Very cool machine. I get to play with it during the NYC Marathon. But at 8g for the device and almost $30 per ckmb or troponin test I wouldn't hold my breath on getting one soon. Especially since labs aren't necessary for intervention with a clinically indicative 12 lead.

True. I was thinking more along the lines of those possible cardiac patients who don't have significant ECG findings. Another tool in the toolbox perhaps. Just as long as people don't lean on it to much. (Like SP02s.)

If nothing else, I hope all of the Officers out there realize that there should be at least one ALS ambulance should be on standby at ALL fire scenes.

Don't wait until you absolutely NEED one...get it on the road early. In fact - re-write your alarm assignments and add one or two on there today.

Glad you pulled through Wheels.....and good job to 56-3

x129K - I belive about 5 minutes prior to the medical emergency the OIC had requested an ambulance for stand-by. I agree with your opinion.

I don't know the exact timeframe, but there was already and ALS unit enroute to standby at the scene, that had been requested by the IC.

And it worked out, and it was smart, and it was the right thing to do...but it is not done all the time...and I feel it should be.