EMTbravo

(Updated) If You Post Photos, They Must Be Yours

19 posts in this topic

Members,

If you are posting photos, here are the rules:

1. You took the photos yourself -OR-

2 ( A ) You have been given the express written consent to post someone else's photos, note that clearly in the post, and be able to provide contact information to the original photographer immediately when asked by any member or staff

( B ) You have purchased a photo collection, or are guardian of one (such as a department historian)

( C ) You may repost photos from Flickr,Photobucket, etc. This goes for all photo hosting and gallery sites that have a sharing feature, or "Creative Commons" license where the photographer clearly allows sharing. Please make sure that is clearly states the photo can be shared.You must credit the photo to that person, which site it came from, and a link to the gallery in which the photo was posted in in your post.

3. Photo theft, or "Lifting", is banned. You may not take another photo from another site and claim it as your own, or imply that it is yours. You may not repost photos found on other sites on this site. Linking to the photo is a recommended way to share the photo.

4. If the photographer or owner of a photo asks you to remove it, do so and notify a staff member immediately.

We take protecting the photos of our members and other photographers very seriously. We are always looking to weed out those who steal the work of others. Consequences include immediate termination of membership and sharing the inringement information with the original photographer..

Simple: If the photo isn't yours or doesn't meet the criteria above, don't post it. If you see a photo that is yours and you did not give permision for it to be posted, please hit "Report Post" and notify the staff.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-EMTBravo.net Team

Edited by EMTbravo
Modified Rules

Well that does me in, I mean you all in . I have hundreds of photos that I bought been given to for my use , your loss !

x4093k likes this

If you own the photos, then there is no issue. It states above that if you bought the collection, then they are your photod.

We're just trying to protect photographers from some people who like to "lift" photos from other sites and claim them as theirs.

When you say no hotlinking does that mean from other photo sharing sites such as Flickr and Photobucket?

When you say no hotlinking does that mean from other photo sharing sites such as Flickr and Photobucket?

Correct. If they are your photos, you can directly upload to the site. Hotlinking creates a host of issues.

On a seperate note, we have created a new Warning system with progressive action levels and clear reasons. For example, today we found out a member was lifting photos. Since we had to find this out from the original photographer who attempted to contact this member several times to remove the photos, this member was warned under our "Photo II", which means that we had to find out from the original photographer. Since this photographer also tried to contact this member several times to ask to remove the photos before contacting us, this member is now suspended for 90 days. This member will also not be allowed to post photos for one year. He was given the oppurtunity to correct his action, has read this thread, and ignored both.

sueg likes this

A reminder/clarification. If the photo is posted on another site, it DOES NOT give you the automatic right to post the photo here.

If someone contacts you to ask you to take the photo down because it is theirs, notify a staff member so the photo can be removed.

This is like the music sharing lawsuits that were so big a few years ago. Images and music files are not that much different and the music industry successfully sued countless people and won substantial damages for copyright infringement.

Don't test the legal system; the precedent is well established and courts take a dim view of such actions.

So we can't copy a link from something like lohud and paste it here even if we give credit to the writer/photographer (which I always do, being a photographer)? Just trying to clarify.

Thanks.

So we can't copy a link from something like lohud and paste it here even if we give credit to the writer/photographer (which I always do, being a photographer)? Just trying to clarify.

You can absolutely post a link to photos on another site. However, you can't post the actual photo unless express consent is given by the person who owns the photo.

You can absolutely post a link to photos on another site. However, you can't post the actual photo unless express consent is given by the person who owns the photo.

Ok just wanted to make sure. I didn't know if that fell under the hot linking you were talking about previously in the thread. Thanks for the clarification!

I just posted two photos of the Iona Island firehouse from Flickr. In both cases, I used Flickr's very own "Share" links, which included the BBCode to post the full sized version of the photo itself. You mentioned "no hotlinking", however if Flickr did not intend for the photos to be shared in that manner, they clearly would not provide the tools on thier site for doing exactly that. Additionally, users on Flickr have the option of turning sharing off if they don't wish for their photos to be displayed elsewhere in that manner.

http://www.flickr.com/help/sharing/

I realize you guys are trying to cover your butts when it comes to copyright infringement, however when sites like Flickr make these sharing tools readily available, and even encourage their use, that has to factor in to any policies you're going to try to enforce. Just my 2 cents.

x4093k, PEMO3 and firedude like this

Good point, Chris. I hadn't considered that.

You may post photos from Flickr,Photobucket, etc. This goes for all photo hosting and gallery sites that have a sharing feature, or "Creative Commons" license where the photographer clearly allows sharing through what Chris described above. Please make sure that is clearly states the photo can be shared.

HOWEVER, you still must credit the photo to that person, which site it came from, and a link to the gallery in which the photo was posted in in your post.

Thanks, Seth. After I posted the photos I noticed this thread, and wanted to make sure using their sharing feature was kosher.

Thanks, Seth. After I posted the photos I noticed this thread, and wanted to make sure using their sharing feature was kosher.

And I really do appreciate that. That was a whole new internet photo sharing thing I missed.Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

sueg and res6cue like this

So when an apparatus manufacturer has a secure website and is posting pic's of the dept.'s new rig (and gave us the log in). Is the pic ours and can we use it or not?

So when an apparatus manufacturer has a secure website and is posting pic's of the dept.'s new rig (and gave us the log in). Is the pic ours and can we use it or not?

That would be a question to ask them. Different companies have different policies.

That would be a question to ask them. Different companies have different policies.

They have already told us they are for our use, thats why they are posting them to us without the public seeing them

They have already told us they are for our use, thats why they are posting them to us without the public seeing them

More and more manufacturers are adding an "In Progress" section. If you're paying several hundred thousand for a rig and take some photos of it, I would say that they are you. Just use your best discretion.