Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ddoyle195

FDNY Style Flat Head Axe

8 posts in this topic

Good Morning everyone, I was wondering f anyone knows what type of Flathead Axe that FDNY uses? The reason that I ask is because I know it is a different style versus a regular Flat Head Axe that you would buy from Akron Brass. Does anyone know, or does your department use their type of flathead axe? I look forward to everyone's input and have a great day,

Roger Wnek

Summerville FD, Summerville South Carolina

TCD0415, efdcapt115 and x129K like this

Ain't people from the south nice? :) One of the FDNY Brothers that frequent this site will have an answer for you pretty quick I'm betting.

I just wanted to comment on the tone and politeness of your post. Have a great day in Summerville Bro.

SageVigiles, peterose313 and x129K like this

Our axes, like our hooks, come from "Fire Hooks Unlimited". Are they any different? Not that I know of....they're 8lbs and have a fiber glass and plastic handle.

I will say this, in many areas of the city the sledge (or a maul as you'll hear us call it) is used instead of an axe. Generally, guys seem to prefer the heft of the maul for forcing doors alongside the Halligan.

x129K likes this

I think most guys use the 6 lb flathead. I have noticed that many of the Fire Hooks FA6 (Flathead Axe 6#) have a little "C" which looks like a square stamped on them. Council tool's axes have a very similar looking stamp on them, coincidence? Axes, especial 6 pounders, are nothing special.

I think when you say different, it is in reference to the shaft. Akron only offers the 8 lb Flathead with a straight stick style handle not a curved handle.

An 8 lb Flathead is a lot of money, you would get better Forcible Entry bang for you buck with a Wide Adz Halligan (Probar) from Fire Hooks. These are now actually produced by FH because so many people were modifying them, themselves or requesting FH to do it.

M'ave is correct guys (especially those who deal with a lot of projects or fire proofs) prefer the Maul. If you are considering making your "Irons" a maul & halligan, look at Fire Hooks' maul with Adz bracket. It will make marrying & carrying easier. We have a home made version of this that makes life easy.

tjng, x129K, firemoose827 and 2 others like this

If you are considering making your "Irons" a maul & halligan, look at Fire Hooks' maul with Adz bracket. It will make marrying & carrying easier. We have a home made version of this that makes life easy.

Thanks for mentioning this. Excellent idea....funny how Fire Hooks grabs all these good ideas from the field and then sells them back to us...such is business I guess. :rolleyes:

The method that "houlidsa" is talking about can be done at your quarters if you have a stick welder and a grinding wheel. I'll take a picture next and post it when I'm in for my next tour.

For those of you from the south... that's a maul, y'all.

Maul is not a tool in the South...it's a contraction as in "If you track those dirty boots across the carpet, Maw'll kill you."

efdcapt115, PFDRes47cue and Bnechis like this

Thank you for the help and advice. On our last engine that we recieved April 30th I specced out the Wide Adz Halligan (Probar) for a married set. Yes houlidsa you are spot in about the Akron flathead axes. That is why I asked the question, I want to be able to have the best available options to our guys on the floor and to also have a standard of tools that we will purchase for when we do another pumper in 2014 (tenantively) Great advice and tips, thank you very much for your help everyone!

efdcapt115 and x4093k like this